What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a quote for painting the front of our house during the week. About $3000 plus $1800 for scaffolding :( . Picked up some paint today ($200) and hired a cherry picker for the weekend ($370). Bargain. I come in about $4k in front, for a couple of days work.
Bonus!!! That's two M Reloads right there!!!

I went to a couple of stores looking for replacement batteries for my wife's scooter. There is nothing in Pahrump. Looks like I'm going to Vegas soon. Yesterday and today I looked at the temperature in awe. I thought its not to be this hot already. This is supposed to happen in July. Yesterday it was 111 degrees. I have a laser temperature gauge. I checked the west side of the house, 139. Today was 108. The 10 day forecast is for highs over 100. Once this happens it will be over a hundred almost every day until September. Oh, and yesterday it was hot enough to melt the black top in parking lots. Don't step in the tar that fills cracks. You'll never get it off your shoes.

It is almost the Peak of the 11-13 year sunspot cycle

I was trolling around on Google Maps and looked at the shipyard that's building one of my barges. Lo and behold, there it is under construction. This picture was probably taken late fall or early winter based on the completion status. I'm pretty sure it's my project because the frame at the red arrow is pretty distinctive. The skegs at the green arrow are also uncommon. There's a couple of other clues too, but that's the most obvious to the project manager.

1717774178407.png

Attachments

• 1717774042720.png
    1717774042720.png
    2 MB · Views: 0
Got a quote for painting the front of our house during the week. About $3000 plus $1800 for scaffolding :( . Picked up some paint today ($200) and hired a cherry picker for the weekend ($370). Bargain. I come in about $4k in front, for a couple of days work.
I needed a rainwater downpipe fitted to a 5 story building. Got lots of expensive quotes. Eventually used an abseiling trades place at a fraction of the scaffolding quotes.

Yesterday, three and a half hour round trip to look at a car.

Newly serviced, low kms, sounded good, except:

Rear diff lock won’t engage.
Centre diff lock won’t engage.
4WD low range won’t engage.
:mad:

Had fish and chips for lunch and called it a day.

Where’s the whisky?

Got my New Mexico fishing license Monday. Tuesday morning I went fishing in the Red River town lake and caught my limit in 45 minutes:
6-4-24 trout.jpg

14" to 18 inch rainbow trout.

Wednesday I caught five more and kept two, 14" and 15",the others were to small.
Yesterday I caught seven and kept four:

6-6-24 trout.jpg
12" to 15" this time.
Today I caught five more, with only two big enough to keep. 14" and 15". Four were in the lake and one was in the river across the street.
After a morning of fishing, I cleaned out the main wood bin:
empty bin.jpg

I moved it to the back porch bin, where we can get to it when it snows:
back bin.jpg
That's what's left from last years splitting session.

Every year I fill the main bin up for the winter. I usually cut two cords here and store it for a year:
last years cutting.jpg

Around eight am this morning, I went down the road and borrowed my neighbors splitter. This is what it looked like when I was done:
splitter and full bin.jpg

The empty pallets on the right is where I will start stacking this years cuttings.

I worked. Whole blood and blood products for us are in short supply again. Please donate, if you can.

Yesterday I went to our storage unit to get the dimensions of my golf bag hard sided travel case. I'm shipping my clubs this year. It's a royal pain dragging it from the parking lot to the ticket counter. When I got home I couldn't find the key to the lock. Today I went back to see if I dropped it there. It wasn't but my pill holder for my nitroglycerin pills was on the ground in front of our unit. I need to find a better way to carry my keys and such instead of them on a carabiner. I found the key tonight. It was under the drivers seat and I have no idea how it got there. Yesterday I saw one of the biggest spiders I have seen lately. He is about 3 1/2 to 4" leg tip to leg tip. He's a good spider. He eats bugs. I took his picture and left him alone. The molding to his left is 4".20240607_005937[4915].jpg20240607_005946[4913].jpg

Today I brought my two-week-old son over to see my parents for the second time. It is a blessing to have my parents live nearby.

I also used some of my old skills from when I was a pharmacy technician. I currently take a medication, and I need to stop taking it - but the side effect of taking it for 10 years means that when I stop taking it, I have terrible insomnia. The smallest dose available being 25mg, I have to make - myself - a series of smaller doses to slower taper off the drug. I had to order capsules, a microgram accurate scale, and suitable grinding and measuring tools. I had a target yield of 90 capsules in this first round and got to 83, so the loss rate was pretty good. My mass accuracy was also inside 10% on a per-capsule and per-batch scale, so it looks promising.

Went fishing at the Red River town lake again this morning. Got there at 5:15 am and caught three nice big trout in about 20 minutes:
6-9-4 lake trout.jpg

14", 15" and an 18" rainbow trout. Didn't get another bite for about an hour, so I went home and cleaned fish.
The limit is five, so I fished the river later this afternoon and caught one right across the street from our home here:
6-9-24 river trout.jpg

Back