The Avionics Bay Thread...Post your Photos!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Adrian A if you could give my av bay a quick look.. was wondering if i would have any issues with electronic interference with my antenna so close to my battery and blue raven?
It will probably be o.k. You can verify by using the Featherweight UI app to verify that the GPS performance is good, and that the LoRa range will meet your needs. On the blue raven side, you can run a simulated flight to check the sensor performance (you would be looking for a transient once per second when the tracker is transmitting) and use the live data to watch the baro altitude.

You have a radiating element (antenna) directly next to your altimeter. If there's an issue with your design, and I'm not saying it is (@Adrian A would be better suited to answer what he has and has not tested / validated), it would be coupled energy from your tracker into your altimeter.
I agree. While it might work just fine, it's not good engineering practise to place RF radiators so close to other potentially sensitive circuits such as altimeters. You would be better off installing the tracker in the nosecone, if possible. With your current installation, you probably won't get the optimum performance from your tracker, and it's debatable as to whether it will affect the altimeter performance. You would need to ground test this configuration to determine whether there is any interference.

It will probably be o.k. You can verify by using the Featherweight UI app to verify that the GPS performance is good, and that the LoRa range will meet your needs. On the blue raven side, you can run a simulated flight to check the sensor performance (you would be looking for a transient once per second when the tracker is transmitting) and use the live data to watch the baro altitude.
I tested it and I kept losing the connection to my Blue Raven.. but had great signal for the featherweight tracker.. I appreciate you and the rest who looked over my work, and took the time to help out. Thanks. Hope to see everyone at Airfest..

I tested it and I kept losing the connection to my Blue Raven.. but had great signal for the featherweight tracker.. I appreciate you and the rest who looked over my work, and took the time to help out. Thanks. Hope to see everyone at Airfest..
You should repeat the test with the tracker separated from the Blue Raven to determine whether the close proximity of the tracker was causing the altimeter to lose the connection. For example, place the tracker in the position where the nosecone would be, or somewhere along the main axis of the rocket.

1000017959.jpg

1000017960.jpg

Missleworks rrc2l in a Apogee BT60 Ebay kit.

Glued the coupler in. Didn't want hardware jutting into the bay all over the place.

Battery is hardwired to the switch. Plug is just for charging.

Had to put the battery and switch on the bottom to fit it. But it fits easy enough.

Ignore the blue tape. It's just there to tidy the wires. Couldn't find my roll of black Hudy strapping tape.

Redundant MW RRC2Ls in my modified MC Formula54 dual-deploy avbay. Sled sections and screw switch mount bulkhead fit together on Nylon allthread. LiPos are mounted on thick double-side tape, but can use cable ties for extra security.

Attachments

• IMG_0265.jpeg
    IMG_0265.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0264.jpeg
    IMG_0264.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
From my Wildman Ultimate Interceptor used for my L3 Cert at LDRS. Orange parts are printed with California Filaments Neon Orange PET-G. Lettering was done with a fiber laser. Altus Metrum TeleMega and EasyMini. Antenna is a Signal Stick connected to SMA connector. I got tired of replacing the standard wire antenna.

3D49B318-B01A-42F2-900C-672D42A5F4CA.jpeg69C13328-D060-4C04-A727-4C194C3EAD49.jpegIMG_2815.jpegIMG_2814.jpegIMG_2812.jpeg

Back