X-Wing Fighter Builds

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd be down to 3D print parts for a drag race as this progresses :)

Speaking of progress -- Yesterday I spent a good part of the day modifying and printing parts for the X-Wing.

In construction, I confirmed the rocket is plausible. Fitting an engine mount in a plausibly sized X-wing will work. There is a path the ejection charge to blast all the way thru the top part of the scale engine. Four small parachutes will be contained inside the scale engines. The weight is in range of plausibility. For the engines, I want to properly size the mounts to use Estes retainers because the black end tips look cool anyway.

The forward fuse is long enough a small amount of clay should keep GC forward of the wing LE (which is forward of the CP experiments)

Through printing iterations, I made several significant design improvements and changes to rev 1.0 -- enough to conclude 1.0 is not going to fly but remain a construction, test, and improvement version. Here's a picture of Rev 1.0 in its "final" form:
XwingRev1.0Final.jpg

Note: The R2 unit will be printed and painted separately on all revs. The Canopy will be printed in clear PLA.

Rev 1.1 will include the following known changes:
1) Balsa wings will no longer go thru the fuse. 3D printed internal wing mount plates were added to the rear fuse. This will save weight and increase strength.
2) Rear fuse was clipped (non-scale) to reduce tail weight.
3) Almost all internal fuse structural supports removed to save weight
4) Engine mount scale detail will be removed, reducing weight and drag. A purpose-driven design sized for the Estes 18mm motor mounts and screw retainers will be done.
5) Cannons will be narrowed and slightly altered from scale to reduce wingtip drag.

My 3D printer is about done with the Rev1.1 fuse upgrades. I should have some Rev 1.1 photos later today.

Last edited:
Very cool thread!

I've also always wanted to build a mid/high power X-Wing and even have the legendary NCR kit (planning to build it one day).

I'm down for building perhaps a 4" diameter one for a 2027 launch. I should be retired by then and will try to meet and if I can't, I'll try to launch on the same day and record it.

Hay Red Darren, will you make the STL files available for the X-wing?
I would like to print one of these to work on for flight testing,

Sure Saluki!

Most were modified from a publicly available Tinkercad design -- that I am becoming less and less happy with as I dive into it.

I've now done a simple redesign of the Engine files (mine from scratch).

The Body and Cannon designs are modified from the detailed design that is not mine.

NOTE: I noticed the LR engines on the attached file are not mirrors but the same. One will need a mirror flip!

Attachments

• XWing x2LR Rev1.1 Engine (1).stl
    522.7 KB · Views: 0
  • XwingcannonV1.2.stl
    313.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Xwing Parted Body Narrow.stl
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back