Watch out for donation scams to politicians

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well... They just hire a comptroller, cabinet member, etc. to do all the nitty gritty governance, freeing up elected politicians to do the speechifying, baby kissing, and campaign money corrupting. Or something like that. But I'm sure there are some good politicians on both sides.
Sure, if you’re happy bringing the city manager model of municipal government to the state and federal level. However, the person with the skills to do many of those tasks will also have been a lobbyist in years past.

An assumption proved by actual results in the field. I don't know why you think that the actual effects in Michigan wouldn't be the norm--they did exactly what you asked for and got some lousy results. It's not like Michigan is that unusual a state.
Michigan is not the only state with term limits. Roughly a third of the states (19) in the US have limits. Perhaps Michigan's problems were not solely related to the way the legislature is conducted.

Also, contrary to popular desires and beliefs by some, applying term limits to legislative lobbies doesn't mean you can't apply limits to legislative lobbying as well. According to the internet, the state (WV) with the "lowest" score for lobbying disclosure (meaning bad) was a non-limited state, where a state like Michigan had one of the highest. I'm sure all that was relative to whatever it was judging it by. However, there are arguments to be made.

One argument against, that I am not quite settled on, is there may be a tendency to rely on regulations and unelected bureaucrats as opposed to legislators. I am not so much in the "less regulation" camp as I am in the "right regulation" camp. The more disconcerting thing is the bureaucracy problems...that will definitely require some action on how to get that under control.

Montana has term limits (8 years). In 2022, 24% of legislators were term limited. So that leaves some institutional memory. Our legislature only meets every two years, and that keeps them from doing a lot of stupid stuff.

Just wonderful perusing through all of the different thoughts and ideas in this thread..
Freely written on an open forum..
THAT is what makes this country great.
Not perfect, you may say a little messy at times..
But the only comparison is where one of us posts something a little too critical of the overseeing government and has an unfortunate accident afterwards..
We're doing this for 250 years so far..
Keep on truckin, lol..

Teddy

Back