Return of the Estes Pro Series II Nike Smoke

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your other options are to add enough for the free shipping (you're almost there anyway). Or wait until you see it at local vendors or AC Supply, etc.
That's probabably what I'll end up doing from now on with Estes, ie only place an order if I have enough for free shipping.

Went to order one. $17.38 shipping. IDTS.

For some reason they only ship FedEx on orders, I have no idea why.
I found them more expensive on most, but not all things I sold and shipped.

For awhile you could only choose FedEx or USPS in Ebay to ship and I soon quit Ebay after that.

Once you get over 20-24", USPS is crazy costly to ship a light rocket; and so you were forced into FedEx.
You want to have low cost shipping, https://www.pirateship.com/
Arrr

The heaviest rocket recommended for the F15 at the time would have been a boosted Ascender, which would have been > 18 oz loaded (not sure how much the booster weighs, but the Ascender is listed at 11 oz, and an F15-0 and an F15-8 together weigh 7 oz.). I don't personally consider that to be a very good idea.

You notice they quit selling that booster for an Ascender. It did not work well for me, turned into a cruse Missile after staging :D

Hobby Lobby was selling the 3 boosters they had left for 99 cents clearance. I took all three to the casher and she refused to sell it to me saying they were mis-marked. I told her they are discontinued, she refused still.

I just wanted the plastic fins and motor mount for repairs. Even with no slotted tube you can build the fin can, slit the tube and cover it over the assembled fin can.

Shucks, should've sold the extra one I had, could've bought one of these in a BOX and had some leftover! I'll have to wait for years now until the first-gen bagged ones become collectible :rolleyes:

You want to have low cost shipping, https://www.pirateship.com/
Arrr
We just need to find a way to get Estes to ship the high seas. 🏴‍☠️

TBH, their shipping prices are probably calculated to drive people over the $100 free shipping threshold.

I may wait for the 18mm to release and just order both at the same time.

I am just wondering if the new issue 3" version will have plywood centering rings as a standard feature, or will that have to be aftermarket? I know the cardboard/fiberboard rings are supposed to be fine for mid power, but I have always used plywood rings, an eyebolt, and kevlar shock chords on all my midpower builds, including my original PS II Nike Smoke, which came with plywood centering rings. It weighs 21.2 ounces, and flies great on F26, F50, and F67. I may put a G in it this summer. I still have a couple unbuilt original PS II Nike Smoke kits. They were some of the last few Erockets had for sale when AC Supply ran out, and they both were shipped with replacement air frames since they were returned items with damaged air frames. So they are not collectable, but certainly are buildable. I may get one of the new ones.

I am just wondering if the new issue 3" version will have plywood centering rings as a standard feature, or will that have to be aftermarket? I know the cardboard/fiberboard rings are supposed to be fine for mid power, but I have always used plywood rings, an eyebolt, and kevlar shock chords on all my midpower builds, including my original PS II Nike Smoke, which came with plywood centering rings. It weighs 21.2 ounces, and flies great on F26, F50, and F67. I may put a G in it this summer. I still have a couple unbuilt original PS II Nike Smoke kits. They were some of the last few Erockets had for sale when AC Supply ran out, and they both were shipped with replacement air frames since they were returned items with damaged air frames. So they are not collectable, but certainly are buildable. I may get one of the new ones.
The picture from the Estes site showing the kit components appears to show plywood CRs.

I don't have the problem as well. No need to glue them to the body tube if they have a nice tight fit.
It was a necessity for me as I had to transport the model in my luggage.

TBH, their shipping prices are probably calculated to drive people over the $100 free shipping threshold.

It worked on me. Just ordered the Nike Smoke and 2 Mini Red Max Kits plus a package of rail buttons to hit the free shipping. I was planning on one Mini Red Max and a Mini Arcas but they were sold out of the Mini Arcas. Guess one of those Mini Red Max kits is going to become... A Mini Goblin :)

-Bob

Well, I ordered one. I'm also working on an improved top section to my Estes Argent (adding fins to move the Cp forward so that the thing is not so overstable [Caliber>6] so that I can launch it in E15 and F15 engines). So I ordered the PS II body tubes and couplers. At that point, it made sense to pay 20 for a rocket (Patriot) to get over 100 to avoid 20 in shipping. An I needed engines for the Patriot... If I like it the next step will likely be a home-build 1/3 scale (BT diameter = 5.5", length about 7 foot). If there's a good sale over Thanksgiving I may get a Der Big Red Max. But for now I have a project or two...

Just bought one for around $74.00 after tax & shipping using code LAUNCH2024. Saved 25%! Could not pass it up at this price. $74.11 to be exact.
Thanks for the code. That made a big difference by offsetting the shipping. Tentative weight reduction via lightening holes in the two rear CRs, a shortened motor tube, a lighter chute, some NC mods, and elimination of the green spacer/motor retainer. Paint scheme to be...
387128-2ee435322720d0c358795ecb5087c282b.jpg

387127-261c16e78cce887fb296cbca48cf75b01.jpg

Last edited:
Also purchased one, so thanks for the code. Unfortunately Estes only ship to the US so I've needed to send it to a freight forwarder. That means more shipping and it doesn't actually make sense to get the "free" shipping because it'll add more cost to the freight forwarding. Unfortunately Rocketry ends up an (even more) expensive hobby down here.

Thanks for the code. That made a big difference by offsetting the shipping. Tentative weight reduction via lightening holes in the two rear CRs, a shortened motor tube, a lighter chute, some NC mods, and elimination of the green spacer/motor retainer. Paint scheme to be...
View attachment 653176
Yep... (though I never really 'cracked the code' on how to replicate that coating/finish on the full-scale fins)
PSII Nike Smoke.jpg

On the real thing, is it alodine (chromate converision) aluminum finish, rather than anodized?
I think it is along those lines.

The actual video that TitanII's image was pulled from shows the rocket being pulled on a trailer to the launcher, and the reflectivity/color of the fin can changes as it's position relative to the sun varies.

I laid down a layer of 'chrome' and then used an airbrush to dust it with copper color. First go was using Spaz Stix Chrome, but the copper reacted badly and I ended up starting over with a different 'chrome', not as reflective as the Spaz Stix, but compatible with the copper. I gave thought to using something like mylar (https://factorydirecthobbies.com/pr...copper-mirror-finish-mylar-foil-self-adhesive), but could not think of a way to apply it where the seams would be minimal.

Back