What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished up my King of the Hill project.

View attachment 653265
Awesome job, I LOVE it! :clapping:
happy king of the hill GIF

I have just started on a custom kit I acquired before LDRS. It's a 1/2 scale LOC Esoteric. It has 5 29mm motor tubes. However I end up finishing this, I'll apply it to the full size Esoteric I have stored away.

It's not fun, but it's rocketry related - Started the job of renewing my state license for buying/possessing/flying HPR motors.

Step 1 was to print out, sign and scan my HPR rocket flight logs. Its now a requirement to demonstrate how I've used the license I paid for and which they kindly bestowed upon me 5 years ago. Fortunately I've been OCD enough to have been doing this after each launch day since 2019.

Step 2 was to initiate the "on-line" application process for me to be security & criminal records checked by the State and Feds. I should be OK as I've only committed crimes against fashion in the last few years.

Step 3 will be, for the completion of the "on-line" security clearance application process, for me to turn up at a Post Office in person next week to have my identity verified and pay A$172 for the crim check. Once that's done, it will be 20 to 40 business days for me to hear back and before I can proceed with the State portion of the process, and its fee of A$345.

It's not fun, but it's rocketry related - Started the job of renewing my state license for buying/possessing/flying HPR motors.

Step 1 was to print out, sign and scan my HPR rocket flight logs. Its now a requirement to demonstrate how I've used the license I paid for and which they kindly bestowed upon me 5 years ago. Fortunately I've been OCD enough to have been doing this after each launch day since 2019.

Step 2 was to initiate the "on-line" application process for me to be security & criminal records checked by the State and Feds. I should be OK as I've only committed crimes against fashion in the last few years.

Step 3 will be, for the completion of the "on-line" security clearance application process, for me to turn up at a Post Office in person next week to have my identity verified and pay A$172 for the crim check. Once that's done, it will be 20 to 40 business days for me to hear back and before I can proceed with the State portion of the process, and its fee of A$345.

Is this once every 5 years? about $500+ Au dollars?

When Jerry Irvine died last year, I looked around for who might have any US Rockets kits. Apogee had the Hammerhead and Piston Stager. Performance Hobbies had the Piston Stager, All Weather and Start. I bought a Hammerhead, Start and All Weather. I built the Hammerhead and lost it at Muncie last week, Next up was the All Weather. All Weather is now complete.
I have a few of his kits put away.

Made a bloody mess. Avoided making plans due to stormy weather.

1000017951.jpg

Mystic inspired BT60 scratch build with ply fins, and Apogee Ebay. 24mm motor mount. Sunk mount in, because it's built for Aerotec motors that have the long nozzle.

Alpha and DRM getting their base coats. Tons of wet sanding next.

Started a Star Orbiter with rail guides, no retainer, and chopped for the Apogee DD kit. 29mm motors, sunken in the same way.

1000017952.jpg

Wagon wheeled the DRM. Should have done the forward ring, not the aft. Will remember for next time.

Balsa and minimum epoxy or CA, is lighter than a globby fillet of glue (any).

1000017953.jpg

Last edited:
Finished the Betty. Ignore the string. That's just a "remove before flight" reminder that, that rocket is fully prepped with wadding. Just add motor.

1000017955.jpg

The BT80, 204g, ply fin, monster needs a name:
1000017956.jpg
Someone suggest "Burnin Blue Jeans" because it got a wad of old jeans for a recovery blanket/wadding.

Last edited:
AMA had a fun day at their field in Muncie, RC and control line planes, plus they invited ROCI to do a make and take for model rockets. The club bought 6 bulk packs of the Estes Generic E2X and a bunch of A8-3s. It rained from 9-12 but 5 minutes after the rain stopped, the families started rolling in. Most of the kids were between 6-12 years old with a few younger and older. It ended up being a lot of fun and I loved the look of joy when they got to push the button to launch their own rocket. I took some thick and quick glue and it worked great. By the time they put on the stickers and decorated with color markers, they were ready to fly.

Attachments

• AMA Fun Day 2024 (2).jfif
    267.2 KB · Views: 0
  • AMA Fun Day 2024 (3).jfif
    172.4 KB · Views: 0
  • AMA Fun Day 2024 (4).jfif
    202.3 KB · Views: 0
  • AMA Fun Day 2024.jfif
    142.9 KB · Views: 0
View attachment 653431

Had some extra Estes BT80 paper rings around. Amazing how strong they are with a little balsa added. (Again, will do forward ring next time. Derp.)
I'm curious, how did you make the ring around the motor mount? I'd leave them on the rear mounts, like @jqavins says, they look great.

Finished the Betty. Ignore the string. That's just a "remove before flight" reminder that, that rocket is fully prepped with wadding. Just add motor.

View attachment 653426

The BT80, 204g, ply fin, monster needs a name:
View attachment 653429
Someone suggest "Burnin Blue Jeans" because it got a wad of old jeans for a recovery blanket/wadding.
Purple Propellant Eater

Worked on rehabbing a clone of the PSII Nike Smoke that I built several years ago, that needed some love. Its one flight ended in disaster, but no major damage so it was time to break out the 3D printer and design some parts for it that were better than what I had.

Back