What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This morning was too good for painting, with the Boo Boo in my previous post I decided to paint my Boyce Aerospace Cineroc Astrocam capsule. I had Tamiya PS-29 semi-gloss black in stock, only thing I can trust my past Krylons in stock all crinkle on the first coat now.

On the 3D printed material, in the light not really semi-gloss after it dries.

1719501903839.png

Let's compare it to a gloss nose cone on the Omega

1719501966443.png

Now the Cineroc on the Omega.. Yea I am going to need to clear coat this capsule before I apply the Cineroc Yellow tape stripes that held the original and this version together in flight :)

1719502128361.png

When you are laying down the second line of Tamiya tape and pull it off a bit with a tweezer to reposition on the fin line and this happens just now :oops:

View attachment 652987

Well, after ^This pulled up the paint adjusting the masking Tamiya tape, I shot some more white laquear on the bad spot. When it dried, about 10 mins later I decided I was not going to mask off each and every fin to make just the fins Florescent Orange and pull even more paint off the tube/fincan.

So I decided to paint the whole fin can Orange. If the Frog tape I used for this tube masking pulled off white paint above the fin can, I would put a wide black pin stripe around the tube.

1719507241128.png

So now that it is dry, time to take off the tape and paper shroud.
Success ! No pulled off paint. Now to get some clear coat that won't crinkle this paint job or the Omega Cineroc Nose.

1719507379818.png

Last edited:
When Jerry Irvine died last year, I looked around for who might have any US Rockets kits. Apogee had the Hammerhead and Piston Stager. Performance Hobbies had the Piston Stager, All Weather and Start. I bought a Hammerhead, Start and All Weather. I built the Hammerhead and lost it at Muncie last week, Next up was the All Weather. All Weather is now complete.

Attachments

• US Rockets All Weather.jfif
    97.8 KB · Views: 0
Inventoried my Estes motors by lot (for the D12 recall) and in the process sorted different types into separate boxes. I now have a box for C6-7s, a box for D12s, a box for E12s, a box for 29mm, a box for 13mm, and a box for everything else. Found 20 motors subject to the recall and 20 some-odd motors that had somehow escaped my previous inventory. In the event of any future Estes recall, it will be relatively simple to find affected motors.

Also designed and printed some jigs for my next rocket.

Do to to the recent D12 recall, I may be changing the name. "E.D.- liminater".... painted blue.... I'll go to my room now 😁.
I think I might make a D12 rocket tester and call it something more family friendly like "D-struction", "D's Aster", or "D-Stroyed". :)

Put the two halves of the rocket together.
Thinking about if I should or not add a thin black pinstripe just under the nose cone and just above the fin can?

View attachment 653140
Black or bright red. And it could use something to break up the big expanse of white, so a third stripe right in the middle would be good, in my humble opinion.

And yes, tape.

I dusted off this Estes X-15, the recast of the COX X-15. Looks like it needs cleaning as well.

This one has been flown, notice the sunken back between the end of the word 'force' an the tail fin. This is due to melting from Ejection Charges. I still have one in a package as well. Cox picture also below.

1719575202152.png

Sunken back:
1719575312376.png

Cox package:
1719575422928.png

Estes Package, the Cox box was better.
1719575512802.png

Last edited:
Black or bright red. And it could use something to break up the big expanse of white, so a third stripe right in the middle would be good, in my humble opinion.

And yes, tape.

Yea, it would cover up the "Tube/Coupler seam" as well. I don't usually fill those in, so can replace the upper tube if it gets damaged on landing with a fouled chute* I just friction fit them or use small screws on heavier rockets.

*I notice my fouled chute rockets 'mostly' tend to float nose end down as the air drags on the fins and the nose pulls the tube down

Last edited:
I dusted off this Estes X-15, the recast of the COX X-15. Looks like it needs cleaning as well.

This one has been flown, notice the sunken back between the end of the word 'force' an the tail fin. This is due to melting from Ejection Charges. I still have one in a package as well. Cox picture also below.

View attachment 653144

Sunken back:
View attachment 653145

Cox package:
View attachment 653146

Estes Package, the Cox box was better.
View attachment 653147
Is there a clearcoat over the decals? If so, it looks like it could use a light go with 800 or higher grit sandpaper and then a recoating, (after cleaning).

Put the two halves of the rocket together.
Thinking about if I should or not add a thin black pinstripe just under the nose cone and just above the fin can?

View attachment 653140
Hi Art. Really nice-looking finish on that rocket. For what it's worth, I've taken to putting on a gloss clear coat prior to applying masking tape. That helps protect the base coat, and I just can't spend enough time waiting for paint to dry.
Jim

Hi Art. Really nice-looking finish on that rocket. For what it's worth, I've taken to putting on a gloss clear coat prior to applying masking tape. That helps protect the base coat, and I just can't spend enough time waiting for paint to dry.
Jim

Yes, I "used to" do that as well. But didn't have any clear coat in stock I could trust. I had some old stuff that was 1/2 full over 5 years old and had no idea what it would do to the white I had on the rocket.

In the last 7 years have not had luck with Big Box Krylon products. Now you can't even get the Florescent EnerJet red/orange anymore in the white can with the Florescent red/orange cap on it. Now their Florescent is Red or Orange and 14-$18 a black can.

I lucked out and found a working can of Florescent Red/Orange last week. I have 3 more new old ones, but I think they will get plugged up in 1-2 mins like another I tried early this week. They don't make paint like they used to.

Last edited:
Back