What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Explored orange colors for my L3 rocket
2nEtM4s.jpg

GjctXyG.jpg

feoz0tC.jpg

Wagon wheeled the DRM. Should have done the forward ring, not the aft. Will remember for next time.

Balsa and minimum epoxy or CA, is lighter than a globby fillet of glue (any).

Any reason for that? Perhaps for a shock cord mount? I have been putting Kevlar Lariat Loops under the rear centering ring in mod rocks like in contest models where I can.

In a larger model with TTW fins, the motor thrust ring pushes on the the aft ring. The aft ring transfers the thrust to the TTW fins which push on the body tube which push on the coupler/Av-bay which pushes the payload/chute-cannon which pushes the nose cone.

In a mod roc the Motor with thrust ring, even masing tape thrust ring still pushes the aft centering ring that 'lifts" the body tube by the glue; both front and rear.

Edit: this assumes Estes type motor blocks are not used that most of us gave up years ago. I first gave them up when I discovered how to make contest models.

Last edited:
View attachment 653431

Had some extra Estes BT80 paper rings around. Amazing how strong they are with a little balsa added. (Again, will do forward ring next time. Derp.)

Looks interesting :)

If those are balsa spars in a spoke configuration, what is the ring around the outside of the motor mount tube? A thick paper centering ring?

Edit: Ok it's an Estes Green Ring I read further down.

Last edited:
Double checked all my D12 motors for the CATO series. I'm clean there. No E12s either.

Got up at 7.00 to set up for the day, to be greeted by 15 kph wings with frequent 30 kph gusts.

Not a huge recovery area, so launch is on hold for a couple of hours.
I feel your pain. I live on the Atlantic Canada coast so this is a typical day.
I also have a restricted flight area but I do have a group of young folks who enjoy recovery! So we will usually launch in mild wind as long as it's sunny

The last month in Boyce sales I had been looking at the small Honest John, the copy of the Cox model. That Cox model was one of the first rockets I had as a boy, it was prebuilt. I said I should get one of those.

While unpacking a Scale Cineroc capsule, which is slightly different then the Astrocam carrier Cineroc, I found I had bought one last year I had forgotten about :D

So I painted it with what was left of the Florescent red/orange can I had used early in the week.
FYI the nose cone unscrews at the middle seam so you can add the nose weight it needs.

1719746927269.png

Getting close to finishing the Christmas kit.
This is how I do Estes motor mounts these days. I bend the forward tab of the engine hook the to away from the motor tube. Or bend a new one of it breaks. Then sandwich it between rings so it still does its retention job. This is my way of following Wildman’s Second Rule : No Engine Blocks!

I put a Kevlar braid line for a shock cord mount, and call it good.
IMG_4191.jpeg

Launched 4 low power rockets.
Estes Mars Leaper, A10-PT.
Nominal
0630240806.jpg

NewWay Flat Boy, B6-4.
Nominal
0630240853.jpg

Estes Rascal clone, B6-4.
Nominal, chute did not fully deploy but no damage.
0630240907.jpg

Custom Nomad, B6-4
No pic.
Nominal, fin broke upon landing but easily repaired.

Also brought a Luna Bug but did not have the right motor so next time.
Video on Ronz Rocketz You Tube channel shortly.
Laters.

And so it begins, Wildman 5" AMRAAM Fiberglass rocket. This will be my L3 project. Will use weld nuts on the aft centering ring to hold the thrust ring in place. MissileWorks RRC3 as primary Altimeter & MissileWorks RRC2L as back-up Altimeter with a MissileWorks RTx GPS for tracking and telemetry. (Electronics not shown in photo). 75mm motor mount and RunCam2 4K in a camera shroud mounted on the outside of the airframe. I will try to do a build thread but i'm not much for those. Being that I have to take a zillion photos of this as I go and document everything I do including bathroom breaks I figure i'll give it a shot 🤷‍♂️.
1000013407.jpg

Continued working on my wife's Big Red Max. I'm building it for her and she'll be decorating it.

I hated the 3 piece balsa fins, so today I cut new ones from thin plywood.
1000018818.jpg
Then I applied a wrap using pink glitter vinyl that she chose yesterday. This was great experience for me since I've been wanting to do the same with a chrome vinyl sticker roll I had purchased.

1000018830.jpg

More fun to come!

Launched 4 low power rockets.
Estes Mars Leaper, A10-PT.
Nominal
View attachment 653649

NewWay Flat Boy, B6-4.
Nominal
View attachment 653650

Estes Rascal clone, B6-4.
Nominal, chute did not fully deploy but no damage.
View attachment 653651

Custom Nomad, B6-4
No pic.
Nominal, fin broke upon landing but easily repaired.

Also brought a Luna Bug but did not have the right motor so next time.
Video on Ronz Rocketz You Tube channel shortly.
Laters.
Wow a blast from my past with the RASCAL. This was one of my early builds way back then. I still have it and it's pristine. Brings back alot of good memories. You don't see this bird very often today. So glad to hear it was recovered with no damage.

She ain’t perfect but considering what it was like when it was given to me it’s now looking much better. There’s still a few dings to the fins and NC which I did not fill. I removed the misaligned fin and reattached it. Being such an old rocket I removed the old Shock Cord and streamer and replaced them with an Estes ¼” x 30” rubber SC and a 2”x 48” crepe streamer split in half giving it 2 24” streamers.

Body and NC were lightly sanded. The rocket was primed with 2 coats of white and when dry I sprayed 2 coats of yellow to the body/fins and 2 coats of black to the NC.

I let the paint dry for 2 days before spraying 1 fin black and printed the decals, sealed them and let they dry another day before applying them and spraying a final clear topcoat to the rocket.

Now I’m looking forward to launching on a D12 – 3. ( hopefully no CATO )

Attachments

• 2818 a.JPG
    2818 a.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Estes 2819 a.JPG
    Estes 2819 a.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Back