What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you keep the dust for anything? Epoxy thickener? Fuel air explosive? Dietary fiber supplement?
Well I have more than I need so I bag it and put it in the trash. I was making some epoxy fillets, I rarely do that these days, and one way to thicken the epoxy was to use wood flour. I have a random orbital sander with a little bag on it and it makes very fine wood flour so I dumped a little of that in my epoxy and it worked well.

Do you keep the dust for anything? Epoxy thickener? Fuel air explosive? Dietary fiber supplement?
Seriously, balsa dust could make a good, lightweight epoxy fillet. It would bond very well to epoxy and would make it somewhat easier to sand. And probably somewhat weaker, though for rocketry use that is inconsequential.

An Unboxing today.

The cute little mail lady brought me a white box about an hour ago. Since the last 2 months she has rang the door bell for pickup of boxes of rockets I have sold; now when I get a box instead of leaving it on the stoop she rings the bell to give it to me and the rest of my mail at the door.

I wonder what could be in here?
1719082037692.png

Last edited:
fixing my wife's pink Goblin that blew up on the pad from an Estes D12-3 . The motor mount blew out and zippered the full length of the rocket.
I trimmed up the back end and glued in a hollowed out D motor with a engine clip for new motor mount/retention- Only C6-3's in its future. Then cut a length of tube and glued in on the inside to patch the zipper and finished it with a electrical tape black trim on the outside top for zipper support.
She will fly again.

Looks just like my PML Bull Puppy 2.1!😁

Flew mine a little over a year ago. My shock cord burned through on the first flight. I replaced the thin nylon one it came with for a Kevlar one. Thankfully, that is one tough Bull Puppy, so no real damage from the freefall. Great little rocket. Love the Quantum Tube - no spirals!
I left out the piston and used the nylon shock cord. Hopefully it will last longer than yours. I was going to fly it today on an F37, but it was too windy ans I didn't want to risk the Dr Rocket hardware.

I launched "a" rocket.

Took half a dozen out to Pittsburgh Space Command's two day sport/competition event. It was 90° with light wind. Thankfully I heeded my own advice of taking twice as much water as I thought I would need.

Tried and tried (4X in total) to ignite my Der Max on a F15-4 (didn't happen, despite the help of @John Brohm ) so I gave up and sent my Wildman Journey 75 into the sky on an Aerotech I285 Redline.

You'd think that with five people watching recovery would be easy, but we all lost sight of it shortly after apogee.

I saw the smoke from the ejection charge, and maybe a glimpse of it reflecting the Sun, but that was it.

I drove around in my car (with the AC blasting) and was just about to give up, when I saw another club member who was looking for his glider with my rocket in his hand.

It's funny how I never really added up how much a fiberglass model/Jolly Logic/Motor case/Kevlar shock cord and chute protector/motor retainer/chute/rail buttons/epoxy and paint was until just that moment... but it's all good and will fly again.

Truth is, everything worked perfectly, but apparently we were all looking in the wrong direction.

On a side note - at some point in the morning, I realized how happy I was to be out with "my people".

Anyway.. I launched a rocket today.

Last edited:
I launched "a" rocket.

<snip> Tried and tried (4X in total) to ignite my Der Max on a F15-4 (didn't happen, despite the help of @John Brohm ) so I gave up and sent my Wildman Journey 75 into the sky on an Aerotech I285 Redline.

Did you try an Electric match to lite the F15? Those have worked for me, lites right now even on D motors.
What type of ignitors were not working?

The Estes variety, which have always worked in the past.

Three of the four attempts had continuity and didn't fire the igniter, but we launched a different rocket (with a composite motor) from the same pad and it worked fine.

Also, after four tries, I was worn out - we're experiencing a heat wave here.

One of our members usually has a supply of Ematches, but he wasn't able to make it today.

Edit- because my phone's autocorrect evidently likes to use different words than I intended.

An Unboxing today.

The cute little mail lady brought me a white box about an hour ago. Since the last 2 months she has rang the door bell for pickup of boxes of rockets I have sold; now when I get a box instead of leaving it on the stoop she rings the bell to give it to me and the rest of my mail at the door.

I wonder what could be in here?

Well, I opened the top of the box and this stuff was at the top. The paper looks like that stuff that women put in birthday bags.
It's a Heat Wave, A Tropical Heat Wave. I need to have a cold Apple & Eve Juice first before I find out what is under it.

1719086709600.png

The Estes variety, which have always worked in the past.

Three of the four attempts had continuity and didn't fire the igniter, but we launched a different rocket (with a composite motor) from the same pad and it worked fine.

Also, after four tries, I was worn out - we're experiencing a heat wave here.

One of our members usually has a supply of Ematches, but he wasn't able to make it today.

Edit- because my phone's autocorrect evidently likes to use different words than I intended.

I'm thinking the "Heat Dome" had that pad's current drained if it would not fire an Estes Starter but would lite a bridge wire in an Aerotech ignitor?

Well, I opened the top of the box and this stuff was at the top. The paper looks like that stuff that women put in birthday bags.
It's a Heat Wave, A Tropical Heat Wave. I need to have a cold Apple & Eve Juice first before I find out what is under it.

Well, the Apple & Eve is almost finished in this heat. The Temperature in Rising, it's Not Surprising; I am going to need a new one.
1719088051386.png

Seriously, balsa dust could make a good, lightweight epoxy fillet. It would bond very well to epoxy and would make it somewhat easier to sand. And probably somewhat weaker, though for rocketry use that is inconsequential.
I do have a friend who used wood fluor for fillets that way. I've added to it to wood glue to make filler. I was joking about the FAE and fiber supplement ideas were jokes, mostly.

Today it was time to add the Decals to my completed ESS Raven ( a MoreRocketsClone ) now that the paint has dried and been lightly sanded. The Decals seemed very very thin so I took special care in appying them making sure there was water on all surfaces to accept them without tearing any. So far so good and am happy with the results to this point. I still have 2 LONG Decals to apply along the BT but will do them tomorrow. Been at this for more than 2 hours now and I don't want to mess up the long ones.. TIme for a TALL Bacardi and Coke. I feel I've earned one.

Ok, here is what I pulled out of the box. When these came out I had the "Dagger".
I saw this early this week on Amazon only 1 left for $22 and had to get it.

But now the box that has been been unboxed, needs to to have the box unboxed !

Here are this part, guess what? It has a tube coupler on the end of the nose cone molding to cut off.
That means I can make it a payloader like the Dagger was !

1719102945840.png

Last edited:
I launched "a" rocket.

Tried and tried (4X in total) to ignite my Der Max on a F15-4 (didn't happen, despite the help of @John Brohm ) so I gave up and sent my Wildman Journey 75 into the sky on an Aerotech I285 Redline.

On a side note - at some point in the morning, I realized how happy I was to be out with "my people".

Anyway.. I launched a rocket today.

Yeah, that was a mystery (and a frustration no doubt), as we were able to launch other vehicles from that mid-range pad, as you say. Certainly unusual for a BP motor to be so difficult. But glad you came out - we had a great crowd of both Sport and Competition flyers, and we get to do it again tomorrow, weather permitting.

I'm getting the stuff together to try doing surface mount electronics seriously. To help keep everything in one place, I bought two new work surfaces - a half- and a full-size rimmed baking sheet. They're conductive (no static), heatproof, and should help keep everything together. We'll see how well they, and *I* work.

Ok, here is what I pulled out of the box. When these came out I had the "Dagger".
I saw this early this week on Amazon only 1 left for $22 and had to get it.

But now the box that has been been unboxed, needs to to have the box unboxed !

View attachment 652244
I've still got my Bandit from like 22 years ago and flew it only a couple of months ago! Its a cool and fast little flier on a C6.

Back