What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's no fundamental reason that seasons must begin and end on the solstices and equinoces. In some traditions they begin and end on the cross quarter days, or on days arbitrarily chosen near them, like May Day and Samhain (Halloween). When you come right down to it, all of the season divisions are arbitrary. So if the authorities in Australia say the official start is July 1, then that's what it is.

I was looking in the Workshop and Storage for my NIB Estes Klingon Cruiser* and guess what I found?

Yet another Combo, This has to be the last one I have: https://www.rocketryforum.com/threa...bo-yes-another-and-last-combo-of-them.186989/

* I did find the Klingon Cruiser 25th anniversary boxed edition, but I don't seem to have a box in stock that it would fit in. I will try to find one someplace and then offer it for sale.

When I was in the storage I also found this AstroCam 110. I am going to build it with the White Body tube instead of blue so it looks like the Stock One @K'Tesh posted I saw yesterday but can't find now, only see his modified ones.

1718926183096.png

I was sitting on the couch, watching TV. In a somewhat distracted fashion, I picked up the motor/fin section of my min. dia. project, and started to sand on it. I had put in the fillets (epoxy), and shot two coats each of primer and gloss black. Now, sanding out the bumps and ridges. A commercial comes on. I stop and look down. I'm covered in grey/black dust. Not my best look. Fortunately, it all washes off. I got in something of a hurry to build this, now I'm going back and smoothing all the rough edges down.

Did inventory of my high power motors. Need to consider what goals I have for the next year.

There's no fundamental reason that seasons must begin and end on the solstices and equinoces. In some traditions they begin and end on the cross quarter days, or on days arbitrarily chosen near them, like May Day and Samhain (Halloween). When you come right down to it, all of the season divisions are arbitrary. So if the authorities in Australia say the official start is July 1, then that's what it is.
There is a VERY fundamental reason for the date, and exact time, of the solstice and equinoxes. Call the seasons whatever or whenever you like, but "solstice" and "equinox" are very definite points.

The solstice is when the sun reaches its highest declination north (summer) or south (winter) (summer/winter in northern hemisphere) and begins to head back to the equator.

The equinoxes are when the sun crosses the equator and both hemispheres have equal periods of light and darkness.

eclip4.gif

Of course the solstice and equinox moments are exact and specific. I never stated otherwise, and nothing I stated could reasonably be taken to mean that. In fact, you stated exactly the same thing I did: "Call the seasons whatever or whenever you like..." which is the same as my statement "There's no fundamental reason that seasons must begin and end on the solstices and equinoces."

Of course the solstice and equinox moments are exact and specific. I never stated otherwise, and nothing I stated could reasonably be taken to mean that. In fact, you stated exactly the same thing I did: "Call the seasons whatever or whenever you like..." which is the same as my statement "There's no fundamental reason that seasons must begin and end on the solstices and equinoces."
Wasn't arguing with you, just adding a little detail. Many people have no idea why things like seasons are the way they are. I have heard lately the terms "astronomical" or "meteorological" seasons that are 2 or 3 weeks apart and align with what you are saying. Personally, I don't have a need for multiple versions of terms, but it makes some people feel better I guess.

Actually there is...those points are easily determined by people who didnt have all the modern timekeeping and calendars that we have today, those events were not just arbitrarily assigned to season changing.

But they were. The moments can be determined by ancient people, but the decisions to label this bunch of days one thing, and the next bunch of days something else, and to place the dividing lines on these determinable dates are completely arbitrary. The decision to divide the year ino four named seasons rather than five or six or two or three, even to have named season names at all, is arbitrary. Why not have season divisions on and solstices and equinoces and the cross quarters? Are eight named seasons too many? Who says? I know the sun and earth don't say so.

OK, I happen to agree that four seasons makes sense: Hot, Going Down, Cold, and Going Up. I'm only saying that it doesn't have to be that way, and the change of labels doesn't have to be tied to any astronomical event.

Last edited:
Going Up. I'm only saying that it doesn't have to be that way, and the change of labels doesn't have to be tied to any astronomical event.
And they were not, traditionally, tied to the solstices and equinoxes, even in societies which had more than ample astronomy to be well aware of the solstices and equinoxes. Planting, harvesting, weather patterns, and temperature were typically far more important to the concept of a season than whether the days were growing longer or shorter, and IMO still are today.

Did some repairs to a Rocketarium Exocet MM40 that got dunked into water in May. I let it dry out thoroughly, then glued a coupler in the body tube to stiffen it where it got really soft. Applied some thin C/A to the top of the tube. Rebuilt the engine mount and C/A'd the bottom of the body tube. She's not looking as fine as she once because of a wrinkly exterior was but she is totally functional and will live to fly again.
20240621_162244.jpg

2ndly, I finally got confirmation that Lethbridge's Rock Lake launch is a GO! for next weekend. This is a 3-day launch that will include Kronos Pente's launch of an 19' Artemis rocket. I don't know the particulars but I'm sure that will be announced prior to flight (engines, expected altitude, etc.) Hopefully the media will be there and the video will be shared with the Artemis 2 astronauts and inspire them on their real life flight. Right now, I am prepping some rockets to give flight that weekend. It will be nice to meet up with some rocketeers I haven't seen in months.

Last edited:
Got notified by a neighbour that my Astrocam that has been stuck in a tree in their yard for about 6 weeks came down!
Unfortunately it's just the rocket, the nosecone and camera are still up there.

Attachments

• astrocam down.jpg
    astrocam down.jpg
    505.3 KB · Views: 0
  • astrocam up.jpg
    astrocam up.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 0
I was sitting on the couch, watching TV. In a somewhat distracted fashion, I picked up the motor/fin section of my min. dia. project, and started to sand on it. I had put in the fillets (epoxy), and shot two coats each of primer and gloss black. Now, sanding out the bumps and ridges. A commercial comes on. I stop and look down. I'm covered in grey/black dust.
Between rockets and woodworking I end up with lots of sanding dust. I've started keeping an old pillowcase near my bench, I lay it across my lap to catch the dust. There are lots of ways to achieve the same result- piece of cloth, old towel, apron, ...

Between rockets and woodworking I end up with lots of sanding dust. I've started keeping an old pillowcase near my bench, I lay it across my lap to catch the dust. There are lots of ways to achieve the same result- piece of cloth, old towel, apron, ...
Do you keep the dust for anything? Epoxy thickener? Fuel air explosive? Dietary fiber supplement?

Finished up the PML Bull Puppy 2.1. Plan to fly it tomorrow on a F37 reload.
Looks just like my PML Bull Puppy 2.1!😁

Flew mine a little over a year ago. My shock cord burned through on the first flight. I replaced the thin nylon one it came with for a Kevlar one. Thankfully, that is one tough Bull Puppy, so no real damage from the freefall. Great little rocket. Love the Quantum Tube - no spirals!

And they were not, traditionally, tied to the solstices and equinoxes, even in societies which had more than ample astronomy to be well aware of the solstices and equinoxes. Planting, harvesting, weather patterns, and temperature were typically far more important to the concept of a season than whether the days were growing longer or shorter, and IMO still are today.
Most accurate way to determine when to plant is counting days from a solstice or equinox, I should think. At least to start with.
More than one person has told me of the 4 seasons in [any New England state] of:
Frozen mud
Mud
Warm mud
Mud and leaves

🤣
I dunno. Where I've lived in New England, mud is usually only a big problem when it's thawed but the ground is still frozen under it.

_

When sanding anything water resistant, wet sanding really keeps the dust down. Maybe harder to arrange it so you can still watch TV.

Annnd I hate painting again.

Overly aggressive stencil adhesive versus Tamiya paint. No contest.

Bugger.

Reminded myself it’s just a proto and thought about ways to fix it. The easiest way would be a reverse stencil and touch up the main colour, but I’m not sure I can be bothered this time around.

IMG_6246.jpegIMG_6245.jpeg

Back