Estes D12 Recall

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have that many D12s, but 100% of them are from those date codes. Does anyone know what the concern is? Just curious, because I also have a pack of C11-3s with the same date code........
My understanging is that the casing material used on these batches turned out to be out of specs, something that did not show up in intial testing. Estes fires sample motors during manufacturing, but I do not know if any test is performed after the motors cure. Some things they don't talk about.

Chas

I've searched Estes website to find these alert service bulletins to no avail. I'm logged in and tried to find these but they are well hidden. Does anyone know of a direct URL to see these? Also, it seems to me that anyone without an Estes account should be able to find this information and that there should be a link under Service to find these.

I have 3 packs of D12-5's with the date code E22 0522. Thank for the post, I submitted my claim.

Update - I received a confirmation from Estes with a ticket number.

Last edited:
I've searched Estes website to find these alert service bulletins to no avail. I'm logged in and tried to find these but they are well hidden. Does anyone know of a direct URL to see these? Also, it seems to me that anyone without an Estes account should be able to find this information and that there should be a link under Service to find these.
I'm seeing the link right at the top of Estes' home page.

Hans.

The form says to upload a photo. I have 6 unopened packs, they would be simple enough to photograph as a group. But if they want evidence of date codes, I'll have to photo each separately, as many only show the date code when viewed from the side.

What are the rest of you doing for a photo?

Thanks,
Hans.
Honestly, they'll likely barely look at photos if at all. I'm pretty sure they'll be inundated and having done similar work (mail return processing at near minimum wage), you don't bother with fine detail review.

I'd just photograph them together and if they have any issue, they'll contact you.

The form says to upload a photo. I have 6 unopened packs, they would be simple enough to photograph as a group. But if they want evidence of date codes, I'll have to photo each separately, as many only show the date code when viewed from the side.

Thanks,
Hans.
As a corollary, does the form allow for multiple photos?

Hans
It didn't seem to.
It also doesn't have a place to ask questions. But I guess that would just complicate the process. You could ask questions through customer service and reference your ticket number.

Honestly, they'll likely barely look at photos if at all. I'm pretty sure they'll be inundated and having done similar work (mail return processing at near minimum wage), you don't bother with fine detail review.

I'd just photograph them together and if they have any issue, they'll contact you.
You might be right. Pictures could just be used to verify the quantity, since they didn't even ask for that.

As a side note, I've been pretty hard on Estes in the last months. Poor customer service, high prices on bring backs, some fails on new designs. But I do appreciate and applaud this action. We've seen issues with E12's and recently a spike in D12 CATO's. I'm not sure what prompted this (high failure rate with replacement costs, safety concerns, lawsuit?). But I do think this effort is better for customers than "use them and let's see what happens." And in the end, it just might be cheaper for Estes than replacing engines AND kits. Certainly saves customers from aggravation and rebuilding.

I wish they would consider this for the E12's as necessary. Some of those lots seem to have a high CATO incidence. But I guess not a high enough rate. Yet.

As a side note, I've been pretty hard on Estes in the last months. Poor customer service, high prices on bring backs, some fails on new designs. But I do appreciate and applaud this action. We've seen issues with E12's and recently a spike in D12 CATO's. I'm not sure what prompted this (high failure rate with replacement costs, safety concerns, lawsuit?). But I do think this effort is better for customers than "use them and let's see what happens." And in the end, it just might be cheaper for Estes than replacing engines AND kits. Certainly saves customers from aggravation and rebuilding.

I wish they would consider this for the E12's as necessary. Some of those lots seem to have a high CATO incidence. But I guess not a high enough rate. Yet.
Yes! Yes! This. ^^

Hans.

I wonder why they're asking where the motors were purchased. Are they looking to see that proportionate amounts are coming from all sources?

For a safety recall, it shouldn't matter where a user obtained the motors.

I’ve been thinking about this for a few days, and the thing that concerns me is that every public CATO is potentially bad publicity for the hobby.

Sure, our kit or scratch built is a loss for us personally, but what is the effect on Dan Average who is passing the park, looking at potentially a great hobby for little Johnny, and sees a rocket ‘explode’?

The failure rate on some of these motors, D12, 13 mm A and others, is much higher than your local council, neighbours or friendly landowners might expect.

I’m open for flak and/or discussion. Just concerned about public perception of our hobby, which has an excellent safety record, being undermined by these incidents. Vern Estes worked very hard to make this hobby safe for all of us, participants and spectators alike.

A year ago, they had a recall of A10-3T motors. I don't recall if I had any of the dreaded H21 motors.

https://estesrockets.com/pages/h21-service-bulletin

I do remember my disposal process.

My understanging is that the casing material used on these batches turned out to be out of specs, something that did not show up in intial testing. Estes fires sample motors during manufacturing, but I do not know if any test is performed after the motors cure. Some things they don't talk about.

Chas
Thanks Chas, this is what I was wondering about!

I also wonder if anyone has any idea what the failure rate is? Is it several percent? Or a few ppm? I looked at the MESS report and it shows for D12s about 20 fails a year for the past few years. I am also sure there are some unreported fails. But I have no idea how many D12s are successfully used per year, so I don't know the probability of a CATO when using them.

I also wonder if anyone has any idea what the failure rate is? Is it several percent? Or a few ppm? I looked at the MESS report and it shows for D12s about 20 fails a year for the past few years. I am also sure there are some unreported fails. But I have no idea how many D12s are successfully used per year, so I don't know the probability of a CATO when using them.
For my stash, it is about 50%.

A year ago, they had a recall of A10-3T motors. I don't recall if I had any of the dreaded H21 motors.

https://estesrockets.com/pages/h21-service-bulletin

I do remember my disposal process.

That's pretty spectacular. As is said sometimes, "When a flight goes well, it's cool. When it doesn't, it's REALLY cool!
(Unless it's your own rocket.)

I did have 2 or 3 packs of those A10's. Estes replaced them fairly quickly and painlessly. I later lit them all (not in rockets) and probably had a 30% failure rate, if I recall.

It used to be close to zero. E12's were the problem. In the last few months my local club started seeing more D12 CATO'S than E12's. I don't know the number, but maybe 10-20%? None were mine. (I prefer my CATO's to be E12's. 😂) We didn't track that by lot numbers though. I assume the lots affected have a much higher failure rate.

I've also taken 2 or 3 packs of E12's out of my engine stock after seeing a fair number of MESS reports for their lots. Don't know what I'll do with them. Would be great if Estes would exchange those too.

Here's a thought.... What if Aerotech offered to replace Estes engines in such problematic lots with a comparable pack of theirs? That's an interesting marketing idea. Expensive, but might help get them some "converts".

I wonder why they're asking where the motors were purchased. Are they looking to see that proportionate amounts are coming from all sources?

For a safety recall, it shouldn't matter where a user obtained the motors.

Handling reasons. I would want to know if I was a ManuFact. Different retail chains will have different distribution issues then others.

BP motors are sensitive to handling and storage. I've even marked shipping boxes that had passed thru very cold conditions in their shipping to me that I had no control over.

I have not yet tested any of those yet. Those where ordered when Estes went up for sale and a scare on E/F motors was around. Otherwise I would not order BP motors in the cold winter months.

Next is how they get to you. I have an order from HL that is currently going thru the USPS hold and forward maze.
"We received your package at this Distro center, have no idea where we will send it next or when" 🤣

Edit: that package will be marked also

Last edited:
Handling reasons. I would want to know if I was a ManuFact. Different retail chains will have different distribution issues then others.
That makes sense if they're replacing engines because they CATOed — they can use it to track how many CATOs are coming through a particular vendor, and maybe help figure out the cause.

But in this case, they're replacing engines because they have a certain date code. So it helps them track how many of certain date codes are coming through a certain vendor. Seems like they should already know what date codes went to what vendors and in what quantities. Even if they don't already have that information, it's not super useful when the recall is for a known manufacturing defect and this is a pretty haphazard way to try get it.

BP motors are sensitive to handling and storage. I've even marked shipping boxes that had passed thru very cold conditions in their shipping to me that I had no control over.

I have not yet tested any of those yet. Those where ordered when Estes went up for sale and a scare on E/F motors was around. Otherwise I would not order BP motors in the cold winter months.

Next is how they get to you. I have an order from HL that is currently going thru the USPS hold and forward maze.
"We received your package at this Distro center, have no idea where we will send it next or when" 🤣

A very simple reason for knowing where the motors are purchased. If they know the purchase location, Estes can make sure that the hobby shop is notified to stop selling the bad date-code D12 motors and send them back. Small hobby shops in small towns (if they still exist) rarely read that info if it came from a distributor, they aren't on the forums or Facebook, and don't see the Estes website.

Thanks,
Hans.
It is possible to spin the motors in the packages until the date code on one is facing up. I held one engine pinched in the plastic and backing and gently flipped the package back and forth in my hand and the other motor turned slightly with each flip. I stopped when the code was facing up
Then took the group photo of the 7 packs.

mona jus fly em. Be aright. Prolly.
Every time you push the button on an D/E12.
clint eastwood GIF

It is possible to spin the motors in the packages until the date code on one is facing up. I held one engine pinched in the plastic and backing and gently flipped the package back and forth in my hand and the other motor turned slightly with each flip. I stopped when the code was facing up
Then took the group photo of the 7 packs.
Cool. So we should do that in the retail store before purchasing motors.

That is a real concern and interesting procedure, but you can't know the shipping and distribution history of a motor purchased at a retail store, or via a second tier vendor. I'd be more concerned about motors shipped in hot weather.

Back