What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Headed out to Ft. Lupton, CO. for the CRASH launch. Only had two launches today, because it was so hot, but we made the most of them.

1. Mrs. Frogglicker's 4-in Pink Crayon, for her Level 1 attempt - I finally nailed drilling the delay on a DMS H169, as it went off just as the nose went horizontal at over 1500 ft. All checked out and now the wife is Level 1 and can buy me motors (with my money, of course)!

2. Nuke Duke'm Extreme - BT60 scratch scale-up of the LOC Big Nuke. This was the maiden flight of the Nuke, which flew ~790 ft on an E30. The nosecone separated. I lost the body, but a club member helped me recover the nosecone, including the altimeter. Even though I lost the rocket's body, this was a great success. I have a few other scratch kits from the Extreme series to shakedown, so it was nice to get this in the air.

View attachment 650829View attachment 650826
View attachment 650827

View attachment 650828View attachment 650831
Wow! When I was a kid (~1967), I tried to do that same paint job as that LOC - black nose cone and florescent rainbow - but I only had brushes! I did several rockets that way, they looked... kinda awful...

Did up a table to document good altimeter data after yesterday's launch. Yesterday's launch was a Florida July sweatfesfest. Problems with the PA and the perception of bad weather foreshortened the launch window. I managed to get 3 launches in. One was an H550, largest motor to date. Hinged NC on flights 1& 2. Forgot altimeter on flight 1. flight 2 altimeter reset due to hard landing. No damage. Flight 3 nominal.

Attachments

• Altimeter data pdf.pdf
    51.1 KB · Views: 0
@ Blast it Tom

That is an old school North Coast Rocketry 4 inch Katana Kit

paint the airframe black then cut tape to match roll pattern then spray bomb the airframe white when you remove the tape
the black roll pattern will reveal itself
Most people do the light colors first as they cover better with darker colors of paint. A black base would require A LOT of white to cover, and the red sections would be darker red. A white base covers easily with both black and red while keepingvthe reds...well...red.

I’m working in my STEM class coming up for. Middle and High schools for our annual Cyber Security Camp.

https://palmettocybercamp.com/

I finally convinced my STEM folks that the water bottle rockets are “ok”. I think the kids will enjoy these more. So day spent on a launch and safety plan for 100 launches 🚀 on the last day (Estes Alpha III using A8-3 motors).

Opened up one of the many Mercury Redstone kits I bought over the past year to try and have built in 2 weeks. (Went back to launch plan )

After 40 plus years, I’m finally an NAR member- and will look at clubs here in South Carolina.

I’m just blessed and happy to be launching again and hopefully the kids will enjoy it. Seeing some of them pursue Cyber Security or STEM careers after HS is rewarding. And some of these kids participate in our Cyber Defense Competition (www.pcdc-sc.com) “Palmetto Cyber Defense Competition”. And start working with my organization making more than their teachers. They love the work and good at it.

Busy but worth it. All volunteer time.

Yesterday is spilling over into today- yesterday we had our larger monthly club launch. I was hot and tired when I got home so waited until today to unload the car and work on processing my photos (sample launch photo below). We had total of a little over 100 launches in about 3.5 hours.

This is a cluster of 3 E12 motors, I don't know who owns it. We considered this to be tempting fate- 3 times the chance for CATO. All 3 motors lit and all 3 motors survived to give a really good flight.

DSC_4450r.jpg

Offering a little guidance here and there as my wife is building her first rocket. Certainly fun watching her grow in anticipation as she sees it coming together. She chose a Cherokee E from my stash as her first. Now has a Great Goblin on order for her next rocket.

Sanding primer on the body of the Minnie Magg and put together the bulkhead/coupler for an Iris 2".

Mine as well. Except he gets to work on real rockets at the Cape or adjoining facilities!
Yeah, or so I assumed. And I can tell you that stepping out the door at an adjoining* facility in July is like walking smack into a wall. I'd rather work on real rockets at Wallops.

* Actually across the river in Titusville.

Ok, this is more a done yesterday thing, but I finished the sanding on it after midnight, so it’s today darn it.

From the couldn’t leave well enough alone department: my 4” LOC V2 now has 3D printed servo pods, cardstock control surfaces (for visual contrast) and sport scale fin profiling. Now to see if I can get it primed and a coat of white on it in time to fly on Saturday.
IMG_0704.jpeg

The chute completely fouled and it came down horizontally. There was a slight crease in the tube from a previous hard landing and the impact finished it off. A new fin can tube and a coupler and it will fly again. I already have second set of stickershock vinyl, if it is needed.

The chute completely fouled and it came down horizontally. There was a slight crease in the tube from a previous hard landing and the impact finished it off. A new fin can tube and a coupler and it will fly again. I already have second set of stickershock vinyl, if it is needed.
Ah, gotcha. That is unusual! I almost expected you to say a dog got it and you had to yank it away lol

Good luck with the fix!

After adding an Antar and a Redstone to my collection last month I thought I’d take a break from collecting.

That’s long enough. Snapped up ten kits today, including some vintageish Quasar One kits. Pics when they arrive.

I’ll admit, I do have a problem. It’s called cashflow!

After adding an Antar and a Redstone to my collection last month I thought I’d take a break from collecting.

That’s long enough. Snapped up ten kits today, including some vintageish Quasar One kits. Pics when they arrive.

I’ll admit, I do have a problem. It’s called cashflow
Recent eBay win? I was watching those and the LOC lot. It wasn't too be for me though.

Too cold to paint. Should have known. Gave me worse runs than a dodgy curry.

View attachment 651661

Ok, took me a min... Its the first day of Winter Down Under correct?

First day of summer here and: 'We're having a Heat Wave, A Tropical Heat Wave. The temperature's rising, It isn't surprising'

So it's too hot/humid to finish the second colors of my two white rockets waiting for their florescent orange colors.

Last edited:
Back