U.S.S. Sarah Connors... A Scratch Build Homage To The Shrox Version

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Design Revision 01: It's all about "The Dish"

The plan is to turn the dish on the wood lathe. The Upper Half as a separate piece from the Lower Half so they can be hollowed out (think wooden bowls). Then cut the dish in half and attach it to the BT-60 Body Tube.​

2024-06-28 USS Sarah Connors OpenRocket Simulation 3D Finished View.jpgDrawing USS Sarah Connors Rev 01.jpg2024-06-28 USS Sarah Connors OpenRocket Simulation Photo Studio.jpg

Last edited:
A small nitpick, which you may or may not care about: The dish should form a circle after being mounted on the rocket. Therefore a body tube-sized chunk should be cut out from the circular pieces before being applied. In your OR model, it appears as if each half is a perfect semicircle, which means that on the assembled model they form an oval profile rather than a circle.

A small nitpick, which you may or may not care about: The dish should form a circle after being mounted on the rocket. Therefore a body tube-sized chunk should be cut out from the circular pieces before being applied. In your OR model, it appears as if each half is a perfect semicircle, which means that on the assembled model they form an oval profile rather than a circle.
The dish is integrated into the fuselage, not the other way around. Therefore it is actually is 2 separate half circles​

Always gave me a Reliant feeling with the short probe as opposed to the long probe of the Estes Enterprise. Plywood construction and rear ejection will make Captain Kirk yell out loud after a successful launch.

That Sarah Conners sure has a lot of junk in the trunk and is nice and stubby. Take that Skynet!

Love those old school Shrox airplane designs.

Cutting the Disc

I pulled up the CAD drawing and made a drawing of the discs, see Post #6, then used my Radial Arm Saw and my Chop Saw to modify the Disc halves, then glued them together. I'll sand the body tube contour once it dries.​
Think I'll have a Calzone for lunch... ;)

001.JPG 002.JPG003.JPG 004.JPG
005.JPG

Last edited:
Sanded The Disc To Fit The Body Tube

Spent some time out in the barn sanding the Disc to fit the C-80 Tube. Actually used the body tube with sandpaper wrapped around it. Worked pretty good.​
The nasty looking cutouts at the back are clearance cuts for my Altimeter Two. I hogged out the material with my Dremel and will make some cover plates for those sections.​
Now I'll go ahead and finish up the CAD Drawings. This one looks like it's a go.​
P.S.: Kind of reminds me of the Bat Symbol... or The Bat Plane.​
001.JPG 002.JPG004.JPG 003.JPG

Last edited:
Back