Sadly retiring upscaled Solar Sailor II

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great looking model! Like suggested above. If it is a BP motor drill out the clay nozzle and peel away at the motor casing from the inside. I purchased a nose cone and body tubes a while back to upscale the Solar Sailer II, just never got to it.

I guess it depends on how much surgery you want to try. Use a rounded file to ground the motor tube to the centering rings and replace with a heavy wall 24mm motor tube? Looks like a BT-80?

That's a beauty!

Personally I'd take a big drill bit to the back and then needle nose pliers to twist put the cardboard. Easy easy and I've done it several times since I used to launch on a frozen lake in the winter and my rockets would land in slush and puddles.

Related, I just had my second colonoscopy and everything was great! TMI?

1. If it is an Estes E9 or E12 case in there, just grind out the nozzle and use high thrust 18mm motors in it... keep that in there as a motor adapter...
2. Cut thru the motor case (carefully) with a sawzall.. with long fine tooth metal blade.

1719241763404.png
1719241981837.png

Knock out the nozzle. Ram a ½" or so dowel through so there's a clear path. Aim a blow drier through it, and leave it running for an hour or two.

Then try things like pulling it out unwinding from the inside. If the paper starts coming out damp, go back to the blow dryer.

-- OR --

Cut out the centering rings, file out their remnants, and install a whole new motor mount.

Back