Fisk University Aerospace Technology Team

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I started with Estes catalog in the 1960's while in elementary school. Have been in and out as a hobby many times. Later worked for NASA at Marshal Space Flight Center. While there was selected for the NASA Administrator's Fellowship Program and was supported to come to Fisk University, a HBCU in Nashville. While there I learned about the NASA Student Launch Initiative and with the help of a faculty member at the university we started the first HBCU team. Placed second in our first year. After I returned to NASA-MSFC my colleague at the school continued the program to this day. Two years ago I was fortunate to get a faculty position at the school and we are transitioning the SLI team into an aerospace technology program. A big piece of that is to have the students build and fly model rockets and to simulation them with OpenRocket. They then move to high-power rockets. We have eight students with their dual deployment rockets ready for Tripoli L1 certification. Hopefully, five of those students will have success next weekend (July 6th). We are building a hybrid motor using an Al/polymer fuel with hydrogen peroxide oxidizer. If you want please follow us at our YouTube Channel
our FaceBook Page and our Blogger Blog . Your suggestions and support are appreciated.

Congratulations on the progress, and that's way too cool! (Also that fingerpainted scheme is delightful.) The only suggestion I can think of is to foster a practice of precaution against chemical and toxic materials exposure, which I imagine you're already doing. Best of luck to your students next Saturday!

Congratulations on the progress, and that's way too cool! (Also that fingerpainted scheme is delightful.) The only suggestion I can think of is to foster a practice of precaution against chemical and toxic materials exposure, which I imagine you're already doing. Best of luck to your students next Saturday!
You are spot on about the precautions. So many. I have to be disciplined to practice what I tell them to do. In a rush I will not put on gloves or goggles. Cannot expect students to do it if I skip that step.

You are spot on about the precautions. So many. I have to be disciplined to practice what I tell them to do. In a rush I will not put on gloves or goggles. Cannot expect students to do it if I skip that step.
show them that video, no one’s going to mess with hydrogen peroxide after seeing that!

I spent several years working with peroxide when at NASA. Took 35% to +99% without an incident, However, the potential is always there. I really limit how much the students interact with it. When if gets to filling a run tank I will probably keep that for myself. Hard to sue yourself. From the educational view I do want them to understand the hazards of all the propellants liquids and cryogens, I can't really see very many universities taking on the cryogens (Purdue, Penn State, and not many others).

Back