Rocketpoxy Availability

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know that the West Systems 610 has been suggested as replacement. Other than it coming in bit smaller packaging and needing a caulk gun, it seems decent.
Its not quite as thick as either Rocketpoxy or ES3629 to me. But it went on as a filet quite well and is holding its shape, so thats good. However I did notice that it has lots of bubbles. Being quite clear, compared to ES3629 or RP with their fillers, its quite easy to see them.
I did three de-gassing passes with a vacuum pot, but still have issues with bubbles.

View attachment 651523
View attachment 651524

Again being clearish, you can see the bubbles. I worked it pretty hard to avoid bigger bubbles when applying and smoothing the epoxy.

610 might be useful for some smaller mid and low end high power rockets for me. Think I'll go with the ES6279 for larger rockets at least until I try some Proline 4500 myself.
Six10 has held up to several big N motor flights on two of my 6” WM glass kits with occasionally less than optimal recovery. I’d venture that the bubbles you experience are technique, not product issues. Did you use the mixing nozzle or squeeze some out and hand mix? I have a couple kits at home with the fillets still unpainted. If I get home this weekend, I’ll snap some pics…

I’d venture that the bubbles you experience are technique, not product issues. Did you use the mixing nozzle or squeeze some out and hand mix? I have a couple kits at home with the fillets still unpainted. If I get home this weekend, I’ll snap some pics…
Very well could be!

I used the hand mix, in this case, because I didn't want to waste a tube on a test piece. Edited my message to include that note, so that its clear!

I just laid up my first external fillets using Aeropoxy ES6279, to compare them to Rocketpoxy.
  • The Aeropoxy resin seems to be a bit thicker than Rocketpoxy
  • The Aeropoxy hardener seems to be a bit thinner than Rocketpoxy
  • The resulting mix is essentially identical to Rocketpoxy in terms of thickness/viscosity
  • The initial application is shown in pic 1 below. Notice the bubbles - the same as Rocketpoxy.
  • The initial application after pricking the bubbles with a toothpick and letting them settle in pic 2 below - settles out just like Rocketpoxy
  • The fillets after pulling the tape in pic 3 below.
  • After an hour I smoothed out the leading and trailing edges with a finger dipped in isopropyl alcohol - smooths the same as Rocketpoxy
I would say that they are nearly identical products and can be used interchangeably.

20240626_091403.jpg
20240626_091724.jpg
20240626_092631.jpg

DaHabis:

Actually Aeropoxy ES6279 is a structural epoxy and Rocketpoxy was never sold as such

Aeropoxy is a much better epoxy

DaHabis:

Actually Aeropoxy ES6279 is a structural epoxy and Rocketpoxy was never sold as such

Aeropoxy is a much better epoxy
RocketPoxy may not have been marketed as structural epoxy, but looking at the comparable specs from their respective datasheets, it definitely is. RocketPoxy's specs (using the same industry standards) are actually a tad better than Aeropoxy's (Tensile Strength, Compressive Strength, Elongation at Break). From having used both (now), they are essentially identical.

1719442208477.png

I find ES6279 to be too expensive compared to RocketPoxy and just thickening your favorite epoxy with coloidal silica seems to be the best solution for me.
I only use RocketPoxy and (now) ES6279 for external filets. I've used West Systems 105/106 with colloidal silica, but getting consistent viscosity batch to batch isn't easy and it just does not smooth out as evenly. Rather than one and done, you have to sand, fill with spot putty, sand some more. Almost everyone hates sanding and where the painting season in the Midwest is pretty limited to 6 months out of the year, it's a huge time (labor) savings to use RP or AP ES6279. YMMV.

For internal filets I use either West Systems 105/106 (no filler) if I add epoxy channels to the MMT tube or Aeropoxy ES 6209 (it doesn't flow well and makes ugly fillets, but it doesn't matter internally) because it's structurally very strong and more affordable.

Finally, if you can't purchase RP (for YEARS), then a price comparison isn't very meaningful.

I have used West with their coloidal silica, but I found it difficult to measure consistently (stuff would stick to the bottom of a spoon) and also too dangerous when handling, requiring me to wear ppe and doing it outside when it isn't windy. Forget about it if you are in an environment with a lot of static electricity. A bit too high maintenance for me. YMMV

Well considering you can't find rocketpoxy...
Exactly! I’m a RockPoxy fan and Aero Poxy fan; I just see fillers as an economical way. Either RocketPoxy will come back to the market or the alternative is a filler or ES6297. I’m just trying to not buy any more rockets until my build pile is lower.

I have used West with their coloidal silica, but I found it difficult to measure consistently (stuff would stick to the bottom of a spoon) and also too dangerous when handling, requiring me to wear ppe and doing it outside when it isn't windy. Forget about it if you are in an environment with a lot of static electricity. A bit too high maintenance for me. YMMV
Weigh it. It's not difficult to measure consistently. I get it within a few milligrams.

Hans.

Back