Neil_W's half-baked design thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I like the looks of the second picture with the pointier fins, I suspect the first picture's fins are more likely to survive landing.

While I like the looks of the second picture with the pointier fins, I suspect the first picture's fins are more likely to survive landing.
I think I agree on both counts, although appearance trumps survivability with this rocket. Need to keep exploring possibilities before finalizing.

I think on survivability there's not any question. I both agree and don't agree on the looks. Yes, I like the pointy ones better, but I think the rounded ones fit the rocket's overall look better.

Perhaps if you used 110# cardstock and 15-30 minute epoxy to paper the pointy fins, they'd have a better chance of survival.

However, when I used that method of "papering", it tripled the weight of the balsa fin, so you'd want to take the extra weight into account.

Perhaps if you used 110# cardstock and 15-30 minute epoxy to paper the pointy fins, they'd have a better chance of survival.

However, when I used that method of "papering", it tripled the weight of the balsa fin, so you'd want to take the extra weight into account.
If the answer is stronger, tougher material for those particular bits, I'd just use plywood. All the rest could still be the usual balsa (or basswood) and use plywood in those places where it's really needed. And if that's not enough, there are penetrating epoxies that will bind the cellulose fibers together better than the lignin in the wood, making it more or less a wood-based composite.

This is probably close to "correct" but I'm not really happy with it.
View attachment 579453
Keep fins inside the pink. Make them right angled (or minimal delta), but they will need to stick out much further, maybe drop the rear ring. (except the minimal cone symmetrical with the front). Given you will have 8 (four equal black and 4 equal white) tail fins, they won’t stick out that far.

I think I might like this better than the extreme spikey version, even though it is simpler... and it should be pretty safe for landing. I still can't help thinking the whole thing needs one more weird touch.... but I'm not sure what it would be. I could do something the shape of the rear of the tube fins, but I actually kind of like the look it has right now with the tubes extending out the back.
1683854097712.png
1683854199075.png

Good grief, I'm going to be fiddling with this design *forever*.
1683854582527.png

I still can't help thinking the whole thing needs one more weird touch...
You know what's weird? Holes in rockets. Like a doughnut part way up the nose:
1683910133421.png

Or a hole crossing clean through the body:
1683910471987.png
You wanted weird, I give you weird. The doughnut could be some sort of antenna. I've got no idea what the other hole would be, but that's because the technology is so utterly alien to us.

How about replacing the donut in front with a clear sphere, with some sort of glowing gem in the middle?

I like the purple version better. Maybe add some clear payload section tubing underneath the front nosecone fins to give it some more strength?

I like the purple version better. Maybe add some clear payload section tubing underneath the front nosecone fins to give it some more strength?
I'm unsure if it's needed My plan would be to 3D-print the whole thing as one piece, which should yield something pretty strong... I think? I mean, I can make the little fins as thick as necessary to make the whole thing strong enough. Of course, I have no clue how thick they would actually need to be, but.....

That's basically all correct, other than dimensional tweaks. No need to send me the file, though... I have never learned Fusion360 although it was on my "todo" list during COVID lockdown... got about as far with that as with the other things on my list (other than "don't get COVID", which I succeeded at.)

The render is certainly a lot clearer than what you et out of TinkerCad. What I really need to learn in TinkerCad is how to efficiently replicate an array of objects (e.g. the fin pod things). Manually, how I'm doing it now, is ridiculous.

I think I need the design to be a bit weirder, and the front, um "bulge" needs to be more prominent. Will work on it.

Also: it occurs to me that I have some old scripts for calculating all the cuts into the cone for the grooves, and it could be done pretty straightforwardly with balsa skin. The only parts that I would really want custom-fabricated a couple of star-shaped bulkheads to support the skins and tube cut-ins. Laser-cut lite ply would be best. Will deal with that if/when I ever come around to building it, which feels a bit more feasible now than it did in my past rendition.

Hope to get this thread going a bit more regularly again after an appalling multi-year bout of designer's block.
Learn SCAD. Replication is easy. And it's free. You could create a basic STL in Tinkercad and add the difficult bits in SCAD.

I'm unsure if it's needed My plan would be to 3D-print the whole thing as one piece, which should yield something pretty strong... I think? I mean, I can make the little fins as thick as necessary to make the whole thing strong enough. Of course, I have no clue how thick they would actually need to be, but.....

Come on Neil... ya gotta build this old school. Cardboard tubes, centering rings and cardstock conical transitions.

Come on Neil... ya gotta build this old school. Cardboard tubes, centering rings and cardstock conical transitions.
In case there's any confusion, I'm only talking about 3D-printing that crazy nose cone. I'm just not sure I could assemble it myself and have it be strong enough (also getting alignment correct would be very difficult).

In case there's any confusion, I'm only talking about 3D-printing that crazy nose cone. I'm just not sure I could assemble it myself and have it be strong enough (also getting alignment correct would be very difficult).
You could do it...no doubt in my mind.

Not in mine either. I even have an idea how. But I would consider 3D printing it a better option if I were building this, and won't even consider criticizing whatever choice you make.

Now bear in mind, that I've never done any card stock construction and you're the master, so if you don't think this sounds like a good idea then I'd be sure it isn't. But all that said, this is what comes to mind.

I assume that a card stock nose cone doesn't sound like a good idea, so you'll want a solid balsa cone down as far as the break. You make the lower portion using your usual methods of a central tube and centering rings to support the paper. I guess you usually use a tube with the diameter of the top opening, and I don't know how far down the first ring would be. But in this case, you pick a tube a little bit smaller, and put the first ring right at the front, and the second slightly closer than where the "cage fins" end. After the skin is attached and the glue dried, cut and/or sand the paper away from the rings just where the cage fins will be attached; those locations can be marked on a template, perhaps printed write on the skinning paper.

To mark the locations for the cage fins on the balsa nose, use another template then mark the balsa by pressing something like a ball point pen along the template lines; balsa is so easy to dent that the lines will easily be transferred through the paper. After cutting and carefully shaping the cage fins, glue them to the nose along the pressed in lines.

Once the glue is hard, you can bring that whole subassembly down over the lower portion.

1684022441977.png

In this particular instance the long pointy tip is not at all suited to being done in cardstock. Would need to be either a chunk of wood or a hollow tip of a plastic nose or a 3D-printed piece that can be filled with nose weight if needed. Slots in which to insert the fins are highly desirable, and difficult to do manually, unless it's balsa, which isn't the ideal material here.

I'm actually thinking that a 3-piece 3D-printed construction would be best here: one for the tip, one for the fin assembly, and one for the base/shoulder.

Back