Zylaxus: a dubious build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All true.

What I did on this rocket also helped quite a bit, which was squaring off the leading and trailing tips of the fins. Masking around curved fin edges is my bête noire; I never come out with good results (by comparison @hcmbanjo is very good at it). With the square edges, I just needed one piece of tape side-to-side across the front and back, then one piece on each side along the root. In addition to being easier, the results came out much better without needing to layer up a bunch of pieces to trace a curve.

The thing I actually *like* about masking is that it can be done at my workbench, at my leisure.

Now that 4H had the launch day I do have some time (if that job thing would settle down) to work on rockets and I'll be working on getting past my masking and painting dislikes, assuming of course that central PA ever comes back to normal temperatures and humidity.

I will definitely be revisiting the scotch tape masking @hcmbanjo uses, I tried it once on my daughter's rocket when she wanted a stripe and got a great mask so it's time to up my game.

Back