Music: The 30 Day Music Challenge

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day 10 - A song that makes you sad
Hawaii '78 - Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwoʻole

Last edited:
Day 9 - a song that makes you happy

Sabaton wrote Bismarck for the sole reason that fans begged them to write a song about the Bismarck. They made a lot of fans happy when they released it along with an EPIC video to go with it.

Day 11 - a song you never get tired of.

I will never get tired of yelling "THEN THE WINGED HUSSARS ARRIVED" every time the 1683 siege of Vienna is discussed, nor will I ever get tired of hearing about the point in history after which it was all downhill for the Ottomans. We just need Sabaton to write a song about the Battle of Lepanto now.

Day 12 ………………

This is an odd one for me.

First, I could interpret the category “A Song From Your Pre-Teen Years” a couple of different ways. I’m choosing to do so as “music that was recorded/released when I was ages 10-12”, which for me was roughly 1973-1975.

That said, coincidentally, I consider that time period as pretty much THE low spot of what the “music industry” was feeding us as a general rule. The vast majority of which was over-produced and safe/sanitized “product” that to my tastes is bland & boring at best, and awful & even insulting at worst. And at that time (and at my age), there was little chance of finding/hearing anything other than what that machine wanted us to hear. The time period(s) before then were vastly rich with great stuff that was grittier/more experimental/riskier, and to me more authentic; and the time period(s) afterwards, (when a lot more music was being produced and distributed more independently), things started to get really interesting (and there were a lot more choices). But the early mid-seventies?.....mostly dreck coming to us over the airwaves.

But THAT said, there still absolutely are a lot of real gems and some great music from that time despite all that. Including the two tracks I posted for Day 11 above. And also including these tracks (one of which is perhaps on my top-10-of-all-time list…..guess which one!):

As a side note…..one odd thing that I find frustrating these days is all these “remastered” versions of older/classic tracks. Sometimes they are the only ones available (on YouTube and such). In most cases, I find that I very much prefer the original versions, and these newer ones often just sound “wrong” to me.

s6

Day 12 - a song from your preteen years.

For the first time, I can't use a Sabaton song. Their first album, Primo Victoria, came out well after my preteen years.

Nightwish's first album, Angels Fall First, did come out in my preteen years.

Day 13 - A song you like from the '70s.

The Beauty Of Mauna Kea - Keola Beamer

A song that I remember clearly remember listening to in the back seat of the light blue VW Squareback we had, as we drove home to Hauula from a luau somewhere in base housing in Kanaohe. I remember noticing for the first time that the full moon was following us over the Koolau mountains as we drove along the dark road of Kamehameha Hwy. The moon was so bright I could still see the dark green of the plants growing on the side of the mountains. Surprised the hell out of my mom and dad, who thought I was asleep like my sister, when I excitedly announced my discovery.

Last edited:
Day 12 A song from your preteen years

A pup you are son.
I think I was 30 or maybe 31 when that came out.

Two of my own faves from the Boys....

I get a kick out of how the subtitles can't keep up.

And I get a kick out of the fact that the guitar riff on this comes from one of my all-time favourite songs
(anyone here know what that is?)

s6

Day 13 - a song from the 70's.

Once again, it's not possible to answer this one with a Sabaton song since their debut album released in 2005. A song featuring Ronnie James Dio isn't exactly settling for less though.

Day 14, I'll just go with music I did play at my wedding.....

This was a bit of the "pre-ceremony" music:

This was the processional:

And this - specifically the pipes & fiddle break beginning at - was the recessional:

Reception music was predominantly swing, with a healthy dose of ska and rockabilly, and a few tunes specific for the parents, including Ray Charles, Johnny Cash, Harry Belafonte, and Neil Diamond.
s6

Last edited:
Day 13 - A song from the 70s

Live album, but the Velvet Underground original version was recorded in 1970. This live track starts with a legendary solo.

Day 15.....
Covers? Oh boy, this one is rich....I can easily think of hundreds of good/great/stellar cover songs.

In fact I'm going to cheat and post two different takes.
D15v1 will be "some of my favourite cover versions of songs you probably know, but perhaps never heard this (great) cover version"
and D15v2 will be "VERY famous/iconic songs that you maybe didn't know were actually covers".

So....first up, D15v1.................

(a special note on that last one.....some of you might remember a thread wherein I discussed Irish Bouzoukis, and another wherein I discussed Fan Fretting. Jack is ALMOST playing a Irish bouzouki here...it's technically a cittern, but it's very close (5 courses of strings rather than 4). His instrument also happens to be fan fretted.)

s6

Back