its been a minute..

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron Soto

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
hey... hoping everyone is well.

so after LDRS42, and 2 week vacation we returned home.. and with that.. the stress from LDRS i thought was super stressful..

Thursday: Rain,test, rain, Nike Zeus ignitor problem on the pad.. no flight
Friday: Rain, and then a successful flight and recovery. which basically took all day followed by more rain..
Saturday: guess what.. yup more rain. followed by a disastrous flight by the Nike Zeus.. we tried to fly the Zephyr.. and literally missed that opportunity by minutes due to a planned LDRS dinner (we didn't go as we had to start getting the RV ready to up to Niagara Falls. when leaving LDRS on saturday.. we had the 4 wheel drive engaged so slippage wasn't too bad getting out of that mud bog. (not sure how the guy on the harley got out.. he was just standing next to his M/C.. he dropped his bike on thursday and some rocketteers helped him get it up. All in all the field it's self if it rained... was a muddy mess.

then a 10 day vacation.. which was pretty cool. we went to up another rv campground in the finger lakes area and stayed for a couple of days, followed by staying in Niagara Falls for 5 days. During that stay, there was a down day and a day trip to Toronto. I will say.. that our trips to niagara falls were very cool! and if you have a chance to go there.. do.

Now.. its time to get back to work..
the Nike Zeus as i mentioned had a disastrous flight which basically hosed the whole booster section with a crumple in the BT and one of the aft fins totally disengaging from the MMT. I emailed Mike from LOC and he put together a laundry list of components for the Zeus.. and i'm getting a AeroPack 54mm retainer. as i mentioned.. i'll probably not ever use a tail cone again. So if anyone want's an AeroPack 54MM tail cone made for the LOC 4" BT, let me know. OH... forgot to mention.. that the 1010 rail guides failed miserably on this vehicle. as soon as i tried to position the rocket on the rail, the forward button pulled out completely. i tried to epoxy into place.. but was not happy.. So went to Wildman and got 1515 rail guides that have a rubber back that expands when screwinging into place.. i'm going to use this on the new BT.

Zephyr: i've had the dual deployment kit from apogee for a couple of months. this said i'll be working on that. i did build the ET Quantum, applied battery and got the 3 beeps.. so that's ready. and i've already purchased the correct batteries that ET suggests. Next would be building up the DD kit and moving forward with testing. (i'd like to do the zephyr DD in Dalzel next month.. we'll see.

hope to see you all in Dalzell next month.

r-

Attachments

• 20240624_102204.jpg
    20240624_102204.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240624_102153.jpg
    20240624_102153.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240624_102150.jpg
    20240624_102150.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
What was the original rail button screwed into that allowed it to pull out like that? Sorry about the disastrous flight...

Back