Boeing's Starliner spacecraft is 'go' for May 6 astronaut launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(...) landing tins cans on the moon that can't stand up while the Chinese are landing space ships on the dark side of the moon and collecting samples.
The recent Chang'e series of lunar probes are government programs with massive resources behind them. The recent failed US moon landers came from private companies with limited resources, with only a few tens of millions into each.

It's really not fair to compare the two programs.

I would just like to point out that both Boeing and SpaceX were contracted to build their respective capsules because NASA needs a backup. A second method. They cannot depend upon SpaceX exculsively at this point and they want to have an option. One way or the other, this thing has to get fixed and become a workable solution.
Either that, or NASA has to get more money from Congress so that a CREWED Dreamchaser can be fast-tracked. Which wouldn't be a bad idea.

I seriously doubt that NASA will risk losing another crew. If they determine that there's even a 1% chance of re-entry failure, they're going to bring the boys home another way, and have the Starliner come down unmanned.

As for Boeing, if the Starliner doesn't make it through re-entry, it's probably the end of the program. I'm sure that there are plenty of members of Congress just itching for a full-scale investigation... they seem to like to do that.

I would just like to point out that both Boeing and SpaceX were contracted to build their respective capsules because NASA needs a backup. A second method.
good point.

With no competition SpaceX would logically jack up the price. Please note, that’s not a criticism of SpaceX, simply what any bright commercial business would do.

Competition is usually a good thing. Seems like the Post Office, a GOVERNMENT agency, has stepped up their game with competition from UPS and FedEx.

I find it interesting that they have had troubles with helium leaks and the thrusters in the past but now, with the ship in orbit and astronauts pending download from the ISS, they are working on it. I think they are pushing their luck too much. One day it might just run out on them.

The official line is that they are keeping it there as long as they can to study what went wrong with the thrusters, as the issue is in the service module, which does not come back.

The optics are pretty bad though, and who really knows how much they are leaving out of the official line.

Delayed yet again:
https://scitechdaily.com/boeings-st...nraveling-helium-leaks-and-thruster-troubles/

• The move off Wednesday, June 26, deconflicts Starliner’s undocking and landing from a series of planned International Space Station spacewalks while allowing mission teams time to review propulsion system data.
  • Mission managers are evaluating future return opportunities following the station’s two planned spacewalks on Monday, June 24, and Tuesday, July 2.
  • The crew is not pressed for time to leave the station since there are plenty of supplies in orbit, and the station’s schedule is relatively open through mid-August.

The official line is that they are keeping it there as long as they can to study what went wrong with the thrusters, as the issue is in the service module, which does not come back.
Well, obviously they want to study the issue, since *all* the problems are with the service module, which burns up when the capsule comes back, so they won't get to study it afterwards, which does seem pretty reasonable. However, this does look like Boeing f'ed up again. which is likely going to kill any further contracts with NASA. They have Orion, potentially, as a backup, which I believe is built by Lockheed-Martin, and although that is meant for missions to the moon, I don't see any reason it can't be also be used as transport to the ISS. That said, I still think they should try to get a manned Dreamchaser, although I doubt they'll have the funding for that anytime soon.

Hey CalebJ I didn't represent any type of false claim about the Starliner being stuck at the ISS in fact I qualified it by saying I didn't know how old or accrate the information was and that it was being reported by AP. Now with that being said here it is 6/24 and guess what it's still there. NASA and Boeing are doing their best to spin this right but it's still there and now some news agencies are hinting that well you know they have 45 days to get them back down. And I know loyalties are strong, and a lot of folks make their livings working for the programs and the various contractors, suppliers, and support systems heck I use to be one of them. And not to mention a very large source of national pride but unfortunately like so many things in our country today it has turned into a boondoggle. I take nothing away from any one individual or group who works to move us forward. 👍

Here's a reason: Orion is bloody expensive for an LEO taxi.
It doesn't have to be. Orion is a capsule and service module -- but doesn't have to be mounted on an SLS. It can be put onto any booster with the correct adaptor. Now, unless the service module is mega-bucks, I'm curious why it can't be placed atop anything that'll haul it.

Hey CalebJ I didn't represent any type of false claim about the Starliner being stuck at the ISS in fact I qualified it by saying I didn't know how old or accrate the information was and that it was being reported by AP. Now with that being said here it is 6/24 and guess what it's still there. NASA and Boeing are doing their best to spin this right but it's still there and now some news agencies are hinting that well you know they have 45 days to get them back down. And I know loyalties are strong, and a lot of folks make their livings working for the programs and the various contractors, suppliers, and support systems heck I use to be one of them. And not to mention a very large source of national pride but unfortunately like so many things in our country today it has turned into a boondoggle. I take nothing away from any one individual or group who works to move us forward. 👍
But that's the point...

The AP did -not- say that Starliner was stuck to the ISS. Ever.

It doesn't have to be. Orion is a capsule and service module -- but doesn't have to be mounted on an SLS. It can be put onto any booster with the correct adaptor. Now, unless the service module is mega-bucks, I'm curious why it can't be placed atop anything that'll haul it.
I'm not even talking about the SLS. The Orion by itself is a billion dollars.

Holy catfish! I'd love to know what the reason is behind that.
The SLS and Orion are not exactly models of efficiency and are less spaceflight programs than jobs programs.

Remember, when the NASA propaganda boasts about components being made in all 50 states, that is NOT a good thing. At least, not a good thing if you're actually interested in a sustainable moon program. If you're an official wanting to make sure senators don't vote against your pet project due to concerns over job losses though, it's a wonderful thing.

I would just like to point out that both Boeing and SpaceX were contracted to build their respective capsules because NASA needs a backup. A second method. They cannot depend upon SpaceX exculsively at this point and they want to have an option. One way or the other, this thing has to get fixed and become a workable solution.
I think the bigger issue will become the lift vehicle. We've seen one launch. It's a ridiculously complex system meant to get folks and their luggage to the moon on a single launch. We've yet to see launch two, much less stage two...and it's only 8 yrs behind.

Orion flew on the Delta IV Heavy, which is roughly the same OD as the F9 payload shroud. It's a little heavy for an F9, but a Falcon Heavy would do the job. It would also fit reasonably well on a Vulcan, though I don't know if that has the capacity to loft Orion to the ISS.

Of course, the various Falcon variants ignore wanting to have two completely different launch supply chains.

Back