AZ CERTIFICATION HELP

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bsswainston

Reaction score
Hello I'm trying to get certified (c1) and I was wondering if anyone was willing to help, or knows where to get help? I have the motor (H283-14) and rocket (homemade carbon fiber) ready to fly, just need someone to sign off. Thank you
- Bradley S

Last edited:
Are you a NAR or a Tripoli member? We can better guide you to someone with that info.

I assume you're looking to get Level 1?

-Kevin

Ive try to do that and place's near me aren't shooting off until October. And whenever I try to get someone to help me from the group SARA they don't seen like they don't want to help...
-Bradley S.
I'd suggest the NAR Section Locator - you can find the Section(s) closest to you and reach out to them. They should be able to help you out.

If that doesn't work out, we can dig deeper in finding you assistance.

-Kevin
Tr

Might be tough to get a cert rocket launched outside of a sanctioned launch. Launches are planned well in advance because of the needed land owner permission and FAA waivers required, among other things, which may not be possible this time of the year. I’m in Phoenix area and the Tripoli and NAR clubs are not launching right now.

Ive try to do that and place's near me aren't shooting off until October. And whenever I try to get someone to help me from the group SARA they don't seen like they don't want to help...

It's probably too hot to run a launch during the summer.

If you want to do it sooner, you may to venture to another state.

-Kevin

-Bradley S.

Tr
The SARA launch this past weekend was low-mid power only, due to the heat, and lack of leadership support. There were a few 'G' flights, but mostly Estes stuff.

I would try the superstition spacemodeling society outside of Phoenix, but I think most of the AZ launches are on hold, or very light attendance during the hot summer months.

Also, the recovery field at the SARA site is very limited, so if you have a small carbon bird, there is a good chance you'd lose it. My son lost his E powered rocket there last year

The SARA launch this past weekend was low-mid power only, due to the heat, and lack of leadership support. There were a few 'G' flights, but mostly Estes stuff.

I would try the superstition spacemodeling society outside of Phoenix, but I think most of the AZ launches are on hold, or very light attendance during the hot summer months.

Also, the recovery field at the SARA site is very limited, so if you have a small carbon bird, there is a good chance you'd lose it. My son lost his E powered rocket there last year
I was keeping my eye on that launch, hoping it was higher power. I was reading that on the SARA's page ,that's a bummer. I wish they weren't so far from me or else I would help out. It's not to small so it shouldn't go higher then 2k so say Rocksim. Oh no thats a bummer!! do you think a chute release will help??

I was keeping my eye on that launch, hoping it was higher power. I was reading that on the SARA's page ,that's a bummer. I wish they weren't so far from me or else I would help out. It's not to small so it shouldn't go higher then 2k so say Rocksim. Oh no thats a bummer!! do you think a chute release will help??

Attachments

• 20240418_081943.jpg
    20240418_081943.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
That is a good looking rocket. Good luck with your certification.

A 'chute release or dual deployment will help with not losing rockets, but it's not a guarantee. Bright parachutes help too, and keeping your eye on where it lands, etc.

A 'chute release or dual deployment will help with not losing rockets, but it's not a guarantee. Bright parachutes help too, and keeping your eye on where it lands, etc.
Thank you. I appreciate that
I will definitely kept that in mind
Do you know how big SARA area is about??

I can do a NAR certification for you if you would like. I do not see a problem recovering a 2000 ft high fight as long as the wind is being reasonable. I was also disappointed that the last launch was limited, PXL_20240608_192125380.jpgas I had my 4" Polecat Jayhawk ready to fly! Hopefully I can get it into the air in July.

That would be
I can do a NAR certification for you if you would like. I do not see a problem recovering a 2000 ft high fight as long as the wind is being reasonable. I was also disappointed that the last launch was limited, View attachment 651303as I had my 4" Polecat Jayhawk ready to fly! Hopefully I can get it into the air in July.
That would be absolutely awesome and help full! I even have a g125 (if it certafidable )so it won't go as high and won't take a long time to find. That think is sooo awesome!! I love it. Ha I have the small one
I can do a NAR certification for you if you would like. I do not see a problem recovering a 2000 ft high fight as long as the wind is being reasonable. I was also disappointed that the last launch was limited, View attachment 651303as I had my 4" Polecat Jayhawk ready to fly! Hopefully I can get it into the air in July

Attachments

• 20240617_201721.jpg
    20240617_201721.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Terry, That's a nice looking Jayhawk!

I can only make the Sat launches, and the Aug SARA launch is the day before my anniversary, so I won't be back until Oct.

I'm only a member of Tripoli, so I can't sign off a NAR cert

It has a 54mm motor mount. It's first flight will probably be on a J825R redline 38mm reload. It has a lot of work to be done before it reaches that point. Old Polecat kits take a lot of filling and sanding and I would like to add extra details such as the antennae (much like the Gates Brothers full scale Jayhawk).

Last edited:
The G125 is one of those in between motors. They have over 80 newtons average thrust and you need to be L1 certified to fly them. However since they do not have a total impulse that is in the H and above category you cannot certify with them.

The G125 is one of those in between motors. They have over 80 newtons average thrust and you need to be L1 certified to fly them. However since they do not have a total impulse that is in the H and above category you cannot certify with them.
Ah I see. So I will stick with the h283 then lol. I'll just throw the chute release on her and hope for the best

It has a 54mm motor mount. It's first flight will probably be on a J825R redline 38mm reload. It has a lot of work to be done before it reaches that point. Old Polecat kits take a lot of filling and sanding and I would like to add extra details such as the antennae (much like the Gates Brothers full scale Jayhawk).
Well I would definitely like to see a video. I seen the gates brothers Jayhawk and that thing KICKED BUTT LOL soo cool

Ive try to do that and place's near me aren't shooting off until October.
Just to point this out, it's not a race. Why do you need to get certified before October, when you wouldn't be able to use your certification until then anyway unless you want to make multiple long trips to launch sites that are open? It's actually common for clubs in the American southwest to not be active during the summer due to the desert heat. Maybe you have a good reason to want your cert sooner, I don't know, but I would suggest thinking about whether you really need to blow a bunch of money and time on an out-of-state trip for it.

Just to point this out, it's not a race. Why do you need to get certified before October, when you wouldn't be able to use your certification until then anyway unless you want to make multiple long trips to launch sites that are open? It's actually common for clubs in the American southwest to not be active during the summer due to the desert heat. Maybe you have a good reason to want your cert sooner, I don't know, but I would suggest thinking about whether you really need to blow a bunch of money and time on an out-of-state trip for it.
I was just trying to get it because my family has a rocket launch in November and wanted to get big motors to bring and I know shipping takes awhile

I was just trying to get it because my family has a rocket launch in November and wanted to get big motors to bring and I know shipping takes awhile
When you say "your family has a rocket launch," that tripped an alarm bell. Do you mean that your family is getting together privately to fly some rockets or you're all going to a club launch together?

If the former, you know you need a waiver from the FAA to fly most high power rockets, right?

If the latter, never mind and don't worry about it, the club will handle that.

As for getting your hands on motors, vendors will ship immediately if you buy motors from their current stock. You only have to worry about lead times if you're pre-ordering something that your vendor doesn't currently have. Balsa Machining Service is the closest major vendor that I know of to you if you're in Arizona. Wildman and BuyRocketMotors are also great vendors if BMS doesn't have what you want on hand.

Back