The NCR Phantom 4000 is back!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Campbell

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like Matt Steele has been busy. I was browsing Apogee's website and stumbled across the NCR Phantom 4000. It's a full 4 inches in diameter, features a 29mm motor mound and interlocking fin tabs and centering rings. The site said 8 were in stock. As of a few minutes ago it's now 7. :headspinning:

Yes!

I have been waiting for Matt to re-issue this kit.

I flew my NCRBE Phantom 4000 many times but I had to retire it after a hard landing which cracked a fin. :(

I look forward to getting a NEW Phantom 4000 and adding it to my stable of flying models.

I have both the 4000HD in 38mm and the Estes/NCR 4000 also. I never got the 4000 starter set. I wouldn’t mind finding one of their controllers, but the new AT one would probably be a better option.
The NCRBE controller was a modified version of the original Pro Series controller. It had more "Bells and Whistles" than most mass-marketed launch controllers. ;)

1000011783.jpg

My Phantom 4000 suffered a crunch during a hard landing. I cut two inches off the top and flew it for a few more years as the Phantom 3998.

I bought it using a gift certificate we got for helping out at an Estes Make it and Take It event at Walt Disney World. That was a fun, but hot, day as I recall. The highlight for me was watching rockets launched from the stage by the lake in the Disney Marketplace.

I think I still have the Phantom 4000 and it is probably still flyable. I just have to finish unpacking from our move seven years ago to find it.

Crap. Another rocket got released that is on the must get list... Problem is... I got the pay the mechanic for the break job and replacing the control arms before my camping trip...

Then NCR Phantom 4000 was my first 4" rocket (not counting the Saturn V). Still waiting on a 4" SA-14 Archer. Loved that rocket.

Crap. Another rocket got released that is on the must get list... Problem is... I got the pay the mechanic for the break job and replacing the control arms before my camping trip...

Then NCR Phantom 4000 was my first 4" rocket (not counting the Saturn V). Still waiting on a 4" SA-14 Archer. Loved that rocket.
According to the "news" tab on the North Coast website, the 4 inch SA-14 is on the way.

I do like the way its sort of a big Estes Alpha
Oh yeah, I almost forgot. A few years ago, I repainted my Phantom 4000 to look like an Alpha III. I was making a video featuring an Alpha III and wanted some on-board video. Using the Phantom 4000 as a stand-in allowed me to tape a larger camera to it than I could have used on a regular Alpha III.

Back