Lpr , but a heads up!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsbhunter

Reaction score
Not for rockets, but for a CATO! Had read about the Estes D12-3 engine's letting go. Second launch on Estes Hi Flier XL....first went great...2nd, well here are pic's....blew mm up into body tube..no damage to rocket..had had a mishap awhile back, repaired...time to retire rociket and build new one....BUT!!!! All the posts about the D12 -3s are for real!! rsbhunter

Attachments

• 20240417_084012.jpg
    20240417_084012.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240417_084045.jpg
    20240417_084045.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Not for rockets, but for a CATO! Had read about the Estes D12-3 engine's letting go. Second launch on Estes Hi Flier XL....first went great...2nd, well here are pic's....blew mm up into body tube..no damage to rocket..had had a mishap awhile back, repaired...time to retire rociket and build new one....BUT!!!! All the posts about the D12 -3s are for real!! rsbhunter
Estes :facepalm: Estes :shocked: Estes:wavingsanta: Estes :angiefavorite: Estes :haironfire:

This bums me out. The D12-3 is among my favorite motors, and I fly a ton of them.
I had been using the D12-5's...with no problems...had bought some engines at Hobby Lobby ( only place in town that has ANY rocket stuff) on sale . Guess I didn't save anything! Oh well, another adventure in the rocketry world....rsbhunter

Perhaps. I feel like so many different date codes have been reported that they don't mean anything anymore. The way I read your post motors from the same pack acted very differently. Correct ?

If I had anymore , I'd give them away, but not to anyone I like.....rsbhunter
After two instances of E12 CATOs on my three motor cluster Whooshing Crane, I gave away two full packs to another oddroc saucer flyer. He flew all six motors, no problems. Darn you Estes!

FB_IMG_1626664268856.jpg

Estes 24mm Catos...SAY IT AIN'T SO! Do not question or criticize their Quality Assurance. You will loose your Estes home boy/shill status. Just grin and bare it. You have to have real courage to launch these explosive black powder toy/kiddie motors. Much more dangerous than the manly high power composite motors.:(

Estes 24 mm motors have the advantage that they readily available, quick to load in a model, and easy to cluster. The downside is the possible CATO.
Can my love of THE MIGHY D, built up since '74, be overcome by one, two, or even three or more Catos over the past year?

NEVER! I AM AN ESTES HOME BOY/SHILL FOREVER! KEEP THEM CERTIFIED, KEEP THE MONOPOLY! I CAN TAKE THE DAMAGE. TAKE MY MONEY! I AM A HOPELESS CLUSTER JUNKIE. PULL THE MIGHTY 24MM MOTORS FROM MY COLD, DEAD HANDS!

As disappointing as it was, it's not that much of a deal....maybe Estes will do me right and replace it...I'm finding out that building them is as much fun as flying them....THAT'S A LIE. rsbhunter

We do to, love the D12-3's. But in all these years we've only had two CATOs. Now the dreaded E12 is another story, we don't even bother flying them any longer.
Lots of Bad Batches have come out over the past few years. Things have changed. Multiple problems from supply chain to manufacture to distribution to use. How to solve it? No one knows. :(

Is it as much of a problem with the other brands of one use motors..still new to this, so maybe I need to spend alittle more for a safe launch and flight? rsbhunter

We do to, love the D12-3's. But in all these years we've only had two CATOs. Now the dreaded E12 is another story, we don't even bother flying them any longer.
If you would, is it all of the E12's, because the D12's seem to be 98% engines with the 3 second delay (D12-3). I was planning on trying the E's next....or, should I go with Quest motors? Thanks for any help...rsbhunter

Honestly at this point everybody's mileage varies. I fly alot of E12s with no problems so far. I also flew and loved the late lamented E9s which were discontinued. No one knows what tomorrow will bring. ;) Definitely try Quest motors 'cause Quest motors are cool. :)

[edit] I know, I just jinxed myself with that E12 comment. o_O

Last edited:
Is it as much of a problem with the other brands of one use motors..still new to this, so maybe I need to spend alittle more for a safe launch and flight? rsbhunter
Estes are the only available BP motors in current production. The new Quest motors are composite and they have had their fair share of teething troubles too. No guarantees in life. Take your chances and fly both, see what you like.

Honestly at this point everybody's mileage varies. I fly alot of E12s with no problems so far. I also flew and loved the late lamented E9s which were discontinued. No one knows what tomorrow will bring. ;) Definitely try Quest motors 'cause Quest motors are cool. :)
My momma told me flying low power motors is like eating a box of chocolates, ya never know what you might get. :)

You’re mom was a bit different than mine… (she doesn’t talk about rockets)
Take her to a launch with a yummy picnic lunch, shade, comfy chairs and introduce her to other rocket "gals." Fly a special "mom" rocket.

Years ago after my father died I took my mom to NARAM for a mother-son trip, she had some interesting observations.

Remembering the good times when my parents stopped at Estes HQ back in '78 and I got the new release Star Wars rockets. Good vacation to Penrose...and the comparatively boring Royal Gorge. :)

Natural wonder vs. The Model Rocket Capital of the World ?!? No contest !
Pike's Peak is just a big rock with a really high altitude road. Then there is The Garden of the Gods...just turn left on Garden of the Gods Parkway. But if you turn right there is the Apogee Components Superstore with a fully stocked display area, warehouse and motor magazine! TURN RIGHT YOUNG MAN! :)

Maybe everyone should make their own Kevlar motor mount tubes. (Of course, no one should ever make their own motors or they will be taken away.) Do they blow out the nozzles or the front end, too?

Back