The Launch Pad (TLP) Standard RIM 67A sport scale build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B_RadB

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've been pondering what my next winter build would be for awhile now. Some of the projects considered were the Estes BB XII, Cosmodrome Aerobee-Hi, Wildman Carbon Mach II, Mach 1 Trivecta 329, TLP Standard AGM-78 with a scratch built booster to make it a RIM 67A, and plenty of other options from my WAY TOO BIG stash (at least according to my better half).

As you can tell from the thread title, I've decided upon the TLP Standard RIM 67A. The build will utilize an existing TLP Standard AGM-78 single stage kit from my stash, a TLP plan pack for the two-stage Standard RIM-67A, and a bunch of components from Balsa Machining Services - primarily 3" airframe, couplers, and centering rings.

There are some significant deviations from the TLP plan pack, and therefore the true scale of this model, so it's definitely a sport scale. I'm not into rolling my own body tubes and couplers from plain printer paper, so I'm using BMS 3" tubing for the booster, rather than a more correct scale diameter of 3.2" to match the BT-80 sustainer. The TLP plan also used a 3x24mm cluster for the booster. Since I have the plywood centering rings, and I have a thing about clusters...my booster build will be a 4x24mm cluster!

The sustainer will be built pretty much to original instructions, with exception of putting in a combined baffle/ebay at the connection of the two BT-80 body tubes as a zipperless design. My plan is to use a SimpleTimer from Apogee to control sustainer ignition and Apogee deployment, and it will be located in this coupler. The plan is for one half to be the ebay, and the other half to be a pass through baffle for sustainer motor ejection as a backup. Similar to the setup in Apogee's TTV staged vehicle. I haven't completely worked it out yet, but that's the current plan.

So far I've gathered most of the components and have worked up an initial open rocket sim. I started the open rocket sim from a "The Launch Pad - Standard RIM-67" .ork file posted in Rocket Reviews by Ryan Noe. I've modified the sim to reflect the planned construction of the sustainer from the TLP kit, and the booster based on BMS 3" tubing with a 4x24mm cluster. I'll continue to tweak the file as I work the details of the ebay and the interstage, in particular.

Here's the TLP Standard AGM-78 kit that is the starting point. Definitely a builders kit - complete with the infamous"witches hat" nose cone tip and templates to mark and cut-out the balsa pieces. We don't need no stinking laser cut balsa!PXL_20240108_201157134.jpg

Here's the collection of 3" BMS components for the booster build. The cluster centering rings are being reused from a 4x24mm Big Daddy that I had flown last year that had very soggy landing. The plastic and plywood parts were salvageable, so I'm putting them to use! I still need to pull some plywood stock for the booster fins (ttw).PXL_20240108_200557967.jpg

Also attaching the current open rocket file.

Not sure how quickly this will progress, but I hope to have basic construction completed before the end of the month. So, hopefully more to come!

I built this kit years ago and arrived at the same decision for the booster. Off the top of my head I think the TLP owner's name was Chuck Brandt. Chuck had an ingenious way to roll your own tubes, but it was difficult. After flying and crashing I did the same thing and used a commercial tube. Chuck had an unusual electrical system for igniting the second stage. From my experience it was very tricky to arm on the launch pad. In fact when I did that the second stage ignited while on the pad. After that I modified the model to use a commercial electronic system for second stage ignition. The original design called for a few BP motors in the booster. This will work with Chuck's original design, because his rolled booster tube is very light. If your model grows in weight, you will need to consider a larger booster motor. Also, if you use a 24 mm composite motor in the second stage, you will need a good igniter for second stage ignition. It looks like you have already started the necessary modifications.

Haven't made much physical progress...yet.

I decided to go full DD on the sustainer, so skipping the baffle/ebay idea and using a regular eBay built from BT-80 coupler stock. I also did more thinking about how I'll build the interstage. Key part I don't have for the interstage is the internal 2" dia tube, but a quick order with BMS and it's already been shipped (along with some other body tubes and misc centering rings and bulkheads since I was placing an order!).

While putting in the order with BMS, noticed that Bill had G80 DMS motors at 40% discount for pre-orders...so....I also placed a separate pre-order for a bunch of G80's! 😎

Maybe I'll actually make some parts tomorrow. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Latest posts

Back