3D Printing Bambu A-1 Mini

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NateB

Reaction score
After much frustration with my Ender 3, I ordered a Bambu A-1 Mini after the price drop. I just ordered the printer without the AMS lite, so there won't be multi-color prints in my immediate future. Shipping was really fast and the setup was easy. Once booted up, it went through a self calibration and an OTA firmware update. I have not had time to explore it too much, but I did print a Benchy that was preloaded on the card with the sample of basic PLA filament.

I'm aware that preloaded files are sliced with optimal settings, but the quality and speed is impressive. The fans are a little louder than my Ender 3, but noise from the stepper motors is about the same as my Ender with the "quiet" 4.2.7 board and much quieter than the stock main board. I'm looking forward to trying some other prints and filaments when I can. My first impression of this machine is a huge improvement over my Ender, even if I loose some build size.

PSX_20240413_234828.jpg

After much frustration with my Ender 3, I ordered a Bambu A-1 Mini after the price drop. I just ordered the printer without the AMS lite, so there won't be multi-color prints in my immediate future. Shipping was really fast and the setup was easy. Once booted up, it went through a self calibration and an OTA firmware update. I have not had time to explore it too much, but I did print a Benchy that was preloaded on the card with the sample of basic PLA filament.

I'm aware that preloaded files are sliced with optimal settings, but the quality and speed is impressive. The fans are a little louder than my Ender 3, but noise from the stepper motors is about the same as my Ender with the "quiet" 4.2.7 board and much quieter than the stock main board. I'm looking forward to trying some other prints and filaments when I can. My first impression of this machine is a huge improvement over my Ender, even if I loose some build size.

View attachment 640558

It is a decent printer.

I'm curious, what frustration did you have with my Ender 3?

I have been resisting the urge to get one (losing the battle, me thinks). I'm not having a wonderful time with the Comgrow T300, atm.

shoulda, coulda, woulda... ::sigh::

I have a X1C and P1S (upgraded from a P1P. I am very happy with them. My only grip, which has been lessened by the ability to turn it off, is the initial requirement to upload you files through a Chinese server. I guess, the only other issue I have had is some difficulty with first layers.

I'm curious, what frustration did you have with my Ender 3?

After being dialed in with decent prints, it suddenly became extremely unreliable even though I made no changes to the machine. I found myself spending hours with calibration and adjustments every time I wanted to print something, even when using the same brand and type of filament. Constant research to solve different problems only for them to be non repeatable or chase new problems takes all the fun out of it. My time is limited, so I want a printer that works reliably with minimal tinkering.

I still need to use the A1 Mini more, but I'm hopeful it meets most of my needs for a great price. Now I just need to decide what to do with my Ender.

After being dialed in with decent prints, it suddenly became extremely unreliable even though I made no changes to the machine. I found myself spending hours with calibration and adjustments every time I wanted to print something, even when using the same brand and type of filament. Constant research to solve different problems only for them to be non repeatable or chase new problems takes all the fun out of it. My time is limited, so I want a printer that works reliably with minimal tinkering.

I still need to use the A1 Mini more, but I'm hopeful it meets most of my needs for a great price. Now I just need to decide what to do with my Ender.
My experience to a T with my two Ender 3s. I sold one and the other works after 100s of dollars in investments. It is definitely a tinker machine/.

Thanks for the reply. I can't say the same for mine (Ender 3 Pro with some mods).

Thanks for the reply. I can't say the same for mine (Ender 3 Pro with some mods).

My Ender 3 is V1 upgraded with the silent motherboard, CR Touch, and dual Z axis motors. I usually ran it with an OrangePi running Octoprint as well. This setup worked great until it didn't. I do have a new thermistor and hot end, so I might see if that addresses the thermal runaway problem I was having. I'm also thinking about putting a pen on the nozzle and see how well it plots 2D and maybe replacing the hotend with a laser if it works well.

Back to the Mini, I fed some Sunlu PLA+ I had been printing with on my Ender and it seems to be working well. This spool has been open for months and seems to be printing just fine. There is a little stringing and a few minor flaws, but these were the default settings. It is a great place to start.

PSX_20240415_091506.jpg

Last edited:
My Ender 3 is V1 upgraded with the silent motherboard, CR Touch, and dual Z axis motors. I usually ran it with an OrangePi running Octoprint as well. This setup worked great until it didn't. I do have a new thermistor and hot end, so I might see if that addresses the thermal runaway problem I was having. I'm also thinking about putting a pen on the nozzle and see how well it plots 2D and maybe replacing the hotend with a laser if it works well.

Back to the Mini, I fed some Sunlu PLA+ I had been printing with on my Ender and it seems to be working well. This spool has been open for months and seems to be printing just fine. There is a little stringing and a few minor flaws, but these were the default settings. It is a great place to start.

View attachment 640684
Looks like great results to me.

Back