What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to our fair city, at least for a couple more hours! While this could perhaps go into the nerdy facts thread, the fuel barge's predecessor company donated heavily to cancer, diabetes, and cystic fibrosis research. Most of their barges are named after researchers in those fields. Unfortunately, that company went under before they could name a boat "Cure Found."
Thanks @boatgeek !

I have not been to Seattle since maybe 1980 when came to town to run an engine analyzer on the Alco diesels in the Polar Star.

... sigh ... long ago, before I went back to school ...

Seattle is a beautiful city, especially from the water :)

Would like to visit again sometime on my personal time !

And thanks for a little background on the fuel barge !!

-- kjh

Thanks @boatgeek !

I have not been to Seattle since maybe 1980 when came to town to run an engine analyzer on the Alco diesels in the Polar Star.
Long ago one of my professional mentors was the resident engineer for the USCG when they built those icebreakers. Though I know they're pushing 50, it's hard to see them laid up to be scavenged for parts. Sometime I can tell the story of shaft bearing removal by detonation cord.
Seattle is a beautiful city, especially from the water :)
The pier you were at is a lot more picturesque than the other cruise ship pier. That one has a fine view of a wide variety of factory trawlers in varying degrees of maintenance. We start and end a lot of vacations on a ferry ride out of downtown, so I know the feeling of seeing the waterfront.
Would like to visit again sometime on my personal time !
We'd love to have you! As long as there's no wildfire smoke, Seattle in July/August has some of the best weather anywhere. Mid-80's, low humidity, and 14-16 hours of daylight.

Ohh that sounds like a good one! What’s a detonation cord? An explosive rope?
Oops, my mistake--it's detonating cord (usually abbreviated det cord, which I why I got messed up). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detonating_cord
[ninja'd by @jqavins]

Imagine if you will a ~36" propeller shaft (icebreakers have a lot of horsepower and milling ice like a blender is rough on propeller shafts). The rotating part of the shaft has ~1.5" thick shrunk-on bronze sleeves where the fixed composite bearings land. The bearings are inside large steel struts that come out from the hull. It's time for dock trials, when they'll spin up the engines and shaft and make sure that everything works fine before leaving the dock on sea trials. In the morning, everything works as it should on the shaft they're running. After lunch break, it's seized. Won't turn no matter what they do. Divers go down and can't see anything amiss. Welp, time for an expensive drydocking to try to find the problem.

It turns out that the yard didn't account for the fact that the composite bearings swell in water (despite my mentor asking if they did), so the bearings were too tight to the shaft. That meant that they ran way too hot in the morning and when they shut down for lunch, 45-degree seawater entering the bearing area shattered the bronze sleeve with cold water shock. Trying to turn the shaft in the afternoon embedded all those shattered pieces very firmly in the composite bearing. They had to wrap the shaft in detonating cord to start breaking stuff loose, then they were able to laboriously dig out the remaining pieces. My mentor had one of the larger pieces of bronze on his desk--it was around 2" diameter. Envision how many pieces that size would be in a 36" diameter x 11' long sleeve. Multiply by a few person-hours each.

It was a very expensive mistake.

The program is August 10th, but I need to be able to plan well ahead of that. Also I'm not particularly interested in fundraising right now - I also have a new baby and need to plan for the fall school semester.

I laid out my case that $200 is an impossible budget, and am waiting to see what kind of response I get.

I worked out a budget today for $215 for 20 students. This does *not* include A8-3 motors and all the launch hardware, which I will provide myself. I happen to have that many A8-3 motors in my inventory, and don't mind using them in this case, but I'm not thrilled about it.

Today (and most of my days) have been infant child care. The kid just reached 1 month old and is getting his first (very mild) illness. We saw the doctor today for a check-up and said (in paraphrase), "he's fine, just keep doing what you're doing".

I went to the animal shelter and held CJ on my lap for about 20 minutes. CJ was brought in on Friday and weighed 2 pounds, 13 ounces. CJ is an adult cat. He is up to 3 pounds, 10 ounces today (Monday). Even today his spine, pelvis and ribs were very prominent as I petted him.

My wife and I stopped by Sunday night and gave him 50ml of fluids. He needs fluids, but the IV bag is at room temperature and even 50ml makes him cold as he is so skinny. He has a hot pad to lay on and they run a space heater in the room for him several times a day. They just wanted someone to hold him today as they want some interactions with people that doesn’t involve sticking him with needles, making him cold, or shoving a thermometer up his butt.

I also stopped and petted Kipper in one of the adult cat rooms. Kipper is horribly shy and hides from almost everyone. She is slowly getting used to me.

Speaking to my daughter last night I found out that people buy an enormous amount of pyjamas. She is store manager for a major chain of stores that sells just sleepware. $110k for last week :eek: . That is an stupendous amount of stock to move.

In other news, the new house is getting its wooden floor today.

Basically. Well, more an explosive string. Designed mainly for use as a super fast fuse for detonating other, bigger explosives
Occasionally in videos of demolition you can see the det cord burning very fast. I don't know much about it but I think they will string the cord out from various explosives, bring the cords together at one point, and place a blasting cap (or whatever is used for that function these days) at that place. The blasting cap goes off, the det cords start burning and that travels across the ground very fast, this traveling explosion is what you see in some videos.

I went to the animal shelter and held CJ on my lap for about 20 minutes. CJ was brought in on Friday and weighed 2 pounds, 13 ounces. CJ is an adult cat. He is up to 3 pounds, 10 ounces today (Monday). Even today his spine, pelvis and ribs were very prominent as I petted him.
:eek:
My wife and I stopped by Sunday night and gave him 50ml of fluids. He needs fluids, but the IV bag is at room temperature and even 50ml makes him cold as he is so skinny.
So, they can't warm it up, like a baby bottle?

:eek:

So, they can't warm it up, like a baby bottle?
It's a liter bag and it was full. The logistics of warming it up aren't worth the effort in my opinion as he only got 50ml (1.7 ounces). You can't put in a microwave as you could damage the bag. Immersing the whole thing in hot water would be messy and could compromise the sterility of it if you aren't careful. And it would take a lot of time. I'm sure it cooled him off a bit, but not a lot. The large bore needle for administering the fluids looks like it would hurt quite a bit, but cats usually don't react too much to that. I've administered fluids to cats 100 times or more. They don't like it, but they get over it quickly.

He has a cat heating pad set at 30C (86F) to lay on 24/7. Plus, the space heater warmed the room up to 80F while I was there. He has food and water all the time. He has a soft, warm bed. He's safe. His life is so much better than it was just a few days ago.

If I lived anywhere near Goodyear, you'd have me sniffing in your windows like a hungry cat.
If we were anywhere near Goodyear we would be catching bass and catfish, not trout. Spending our summers in Red River, NM (elevation 8650’) is much nicer than the “Valley of the Sun”. Still not very close to New York….

Back