Squat-o-mania!!! LPR! MPR!! HPR!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That thing is huge!

That's what she said! :rofl: :lol: :rofl:

To the OP... Awesome project! And I'm certain Tripoli Vegas would welcome you with open arms to fly that thing... The founding members created an upscale Cherokee that flew on a P motor. You can find pics of that on the tripolivegas.com site.

Id like to see him finish it and fly it also. But I think he"s lost intrest in dabbleing with a level 3 rocket

Although true that I haven't worked on it in a while I still have interest in it and bring it to some ROC launches to show off. I am waiting till the LDRS crew defines what they mean by not letting LDRS become a BALLS. From what I have heard they are wanting to limit extreme projects for certain reasons. They will hopefully announce what that means in hard rules whether that mean impulse limit, weight limit, or just a altitude limit?

I have everything ready to foam for the nosecone. And I have everything ready to attach the fins(barring if I decide to permanently attach them or not), motor mount is ready to go in and all that is left is to decide how to do deployment on a beast like this. CO2 is a pretty expensive option, but 50grams of black powder is downright stupid. I am contemplating a deployment through the side of the airframe which makes sense to me, but I am waiting to hear from flyers who have flown rockets this diameter.
Lastly after the LDRS deal is cleared up I need to confirm with someone about seriously making a 6" motor, commercial is far too expensive.

LDRS at Black Rock is the goal.

Thanks for the bump.

Id like to see him finish it and fly it also. But I think he"s lost intrest in dabbleing with a level 3 rocket

Oh and the only reason I'm not L3 is because I don't have a motor. Size Matters is hungry and ready for a M, but I have two L motors I would like to sell to pay for the M motor.

I would look into making an actual chute cannon or three, perhaps three inch diameter or so. You could have a small hatch of some sort through which to spit out the parachute, with no airframe or nosecone separation.

Oh and the only reason I'm not L3 is because I don't have a motor. Size Matters is hungry and ready for a M, but I have two L motors I would like to sell to pay for the M motor.

The only reason is you dont have a motor? Come on, you found a way to build and document a couple of nice rockets and then burn at least three level 3 motors this year

Not quite sure I get the Size matters part. Size matters is hungry for a M but you need to sell a couple of L,s to fund the M. Does this mean your going to wait until you certify level 3 on the Squat and then fly Size Matters on the M to celebrate?

Get it built and release the Squat!!! Dont make us bump this thread again!!

The only reason is you dont have a motor? Come on, you found a way to build and document a couple of nice rockets and then burn at least three level 3 motors this year

Not quite sure I get the Size matters part. Size matters is hungry for a M but you need to sell a couple of L,s to fund the M. Does this mean your going to wait until you certify level 3 on the Squat and then fly Size Matters on the M to celebrate?

Get it built and release the Squat!!! Dont make us bump this thread again!!

Come on Andy. You know your three examples rights? My high schools M840, M2020, and Project 60k's N5800.
None of those could have been cert flight. In your favor I purchased the M840, so had I not given it to my team I could have it now and use it in Size Matters at the November ROCStock and get my L3 done.

The problem becoming more evident is that this Squat will not be my L3 rocket. An N5800 could huff it really slow, but it really needs and "O". I know that I can't afford a $2,000 Cesaroni O motor no matter how cool it would be!

I hope you don't bump it again. :p

Bryce

Well it is time for an update. After finishing finals I have done 15hours of rocket work. Painting, building, and buying for a number of projects. So I pulled this fat boy out and did some work with some of the ideas I have had regarding how to continue.

Pictures now. Words later.

image-3561703785.jpg

image-3929945805.jpg

image-451349910.jpg

image-1336569890.jpg

image-1233564607.jpg

When are you planning on flying this?

Well. I would LOVE to make it to LDRS this year, but that doesn't look like it will happen. (Plus I would have to know soon so I could apply for permission). But besides that I would say BALLS (don't know the date) or even more likely XPRS.

It really will depend on when I can get a motor.

If I were you, I would cut the tip of the NC off, so that the 7.5" tube is exposed. Buy or make a NC that will sit in the tube. Put a drogue in the tube, and blow that drogue out at apogee. The drogue can then pull the NC off of the rocket, Attach the deployment bags of the mains to the NC, so that the mains get pulled out by the drogue. The NC and the deployment bags come down in one piece, and the booster in another. This way you only have to use BP to blow the drogue out of a 7.5" tube.
This was demonstrated in Sather Ranum's "Jaycoke Zero".
Build found here
[video=youtube;jzHzY_3mMIY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzHzY_3mMIY[/video]

That is a very good idea. I like that. Thanks.

I am going to start a thread about packing those 28' C-9s and if it seems possible to stuff one in a deployment bag in a 7.5" tube then I think that might work very well. I have only packed that chute a couple times so a word from the wise will be needed.

I found this picture recently and felt the need to share it. Tominator2 standing inside the beast.

image-2761231827.jpg

New photos.

Nosecone is done with foam and in a layer of fiberglass right now. I've got a little bit of touch up work to do on it before paint.

Now what to paint it?

image-2090012608.jpg

image-3841368441.jpg

Paint it with a prominent return address and a monetary reward.

(sorry, I had to)

To cool Bryce. Even though I saw it in person, I forgot how big that moster is. Are you thinking of ROCstock for the launch?

Not this ROCStock but maybe next? I need to know the real final weight of this thing because it is really on the edge of being to heavy for a M.

Not this ROCStock but maybe next? I need to know the real final weight of this thing because it is really on the edge of being to heavy for a M.

The new M6400 vmax? Or maybe the M3400 WT?

Below are the stats for the two motors I was considering. (Yes the M6400 Vmax and the M3400White Thunder) this is with a 130 pound dry weight.

Screen shot 2013-06-01 at 2.08.31 PM.png

Feel free to weigh in

I like how you did the nose cone . It may work on other size tubes as well. I have a 4x hi flyer that I'm doing but can't find a bc for 3" that's 11.5" tall thanks

Back