Space-X receives contract to ‘decommission’ ISS?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They could then use this design, paid for by NASA, as a general purpose tug. It should have plenty of extra delta V.

Could also be used to de-orbit other large pieces of junk. But they would need an alternative means to securely latch onto something like a tumbling upper stage. Like maybe a harpoon shot into a tank that would be reeled in. After a de-orbit burn, the tug could detach and boost back into orbit.

Tony Stark...err...Musk needs to also invent the Tractor Beam

Interesting, I am not sure how much the reentry of such a large cumbersome vehicle can be controlled.
Things like the solar wings can be fold in and make the flight path more controllable and predictable. It might take a number of control burns to get it into an orbit that will take the best advantage of the "hole in the Pacific" and then create a de-orbiting burn, probably something the size of an attached Falcon Heavy 2nd stage. The idea that some parts can be reused for commercial projects is far fetched - Artemis was supposed to reuse as much Shuttle components as possible and we all know now that that decision was a very expensive mistake (a clean sheet design could have been cheaper).

So, straight into the direction of travel... got it.

I didn't know if it was angled to some extent so some thrust pushed 'downward'.

So, straight into the direction of travel... got it.

I didn't know if it was angled to some extent so some thrust pushed 'downward'.
Larry Niven’s ‘The Integral Trees’ has a nice rundown on orbital mechanics.

I find orbital action/reaction to be moderately intuitive if you think about what’s happening to the apogee and perigee, and much less so if you think about what’s happening in the moment.

I find orbital action/reaction to be moderately intuitive if you think about what’s happening to the apogee and perigee, and much less so if you think about what’s happening in the moment.
Yup, I recommend getting KSP and playing for a while, you’ll pick it up really quickly.

NTP could be used on a deorbit tug, with a big enough engine. It would probably need to detach at the right point in time (to head to the next job) as NTP has a not very predictable shutdown tail.
NTP will not be used in Earth orbit, because after the thing fires up the first time, it becomes highly radioactive. Can’t risk it coming back down.

NTP will not be used in Earth orbit, because after the thing fires up the first time, it becomes highly radioactive. Can’t risk it coming back down.
Not to mention there aren't tried-and-true designs that are ready for space flight. Anyone that has an interest in space flight knows that optimistic timelines for engineering are often subject to delays from funding, politics, and mismanagement. Even if the exhaust and components were not alarmingly radioactive, I'd find it unlikely they would go this route just to deorbit ISS because there is a lot more work to be done whereas you already have conventional fuel rocket engines built, tested, improved upon, and ready for launch.

I vote we launch @NTP2 out of a cannon at the ISS so we can officially say we used NTP to deorbit the ISS. I'm sure he won't mind the expedient trip to space and being the last ISS visitor lol (jk, poking fun lol)

Yup, I recommend getting KSP and playing for a while, you’ll pick it up really quickly.
Another good one is juno new origins. You can even get it as an app for your phone and they have an index of existing rockets (everything from sounding rockets to the Saturn V). I find the flow-chart style scripting they built in is really annoying and tedious (I'm too used to just typing sh*t in VIM lol) but it actually works way better than the mods you can get for scripting in KSP. It's great if you want to tinker with making your own flight computer logic (albeit it's idealized because it's a simple simulator with nothing like wind currents, sensor noise, and telemetry interference).

I vote we launch @NTP2 out of a cannon at the ISS so we can officially say we used NTP to deorbit the ISS. I'm sure he won't mind the expedient trip to space and being the last ISS visitor lol (jk, poking fun lol)
Can I have a space suit? if yes then I'd like to be able to time it, so I fly to the Chinese space station and get to live...

if it's a tug then I don't see a reason it has to come down, refueling would be possible, decommission it in a super high graveyard orbit with all the old GPS and weather sats.

ohh come on you shipped me and a canon, I guess I'll do a go fund me.
Yeahhhh... but a space suit has to go through a bunch of testing and regulatory stuff, and that just adds up. A canno is pretty much just a tube stuffed with explosives... which as it turns out is cheaper than a space suit lol (or so I guess for the joke lmao)

Last edited:
Great book. Well worth a read if you can get it.

I said it was possible, not necessarily a good idea. A radioactive rocket engine on reentry is not good for anyone. NTP engines are not good anyway for when accurate orbital parameters are required due to the long and unpredictable tail of the thrust, as mentioned in my previous post. The reactor needs to be cooled down once the core is shut down, hence gas flow is still needed for that phase of operation.

They need to fill it with nukes and save it for when they need to destroy a killer asteroid heading for Earth :)

Great book. Well worth a read if you can get it.

I said it was possible, not necessarily a good idea. A radioactive rocket engine on reentry is not good for anyone. NTP engines are not good anyway for when accurate orbital parameters are required due to the long and unpredictable tail of the thrust, as mentioned in my previous post. The reactor needs to be cooled down once the core is shut down, hence gas flow is still needed for that phase of operation.
https://www.pdfdrive.com/tales-of-known-space-the-universe-of-larry-niven-e185659230.html

Back