Space-X receives contract to ‘decommission’ ISS?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm hoping the tug design offers good modeling opportunities. But I bet it'll be some Starship variant.

I’m imagining a cargo Dragon with the trunk loaded with extra fuel and gimbaling engines.
They could then use this design, paid for by NASA, as a general purpose tug. It should have plenty of extra delta V.

Could also be used to de-orbit other large pieces of junk. But they would need an alternative means to securely latch onto something like a tumbling upper stage. Like maybe a harpoon shot into a tank that would be reeled in. After a de-orbit burn, the tug could detach and boost back into orbit.

I’m imagining a cargo Dragon with the trunk loaded with extra fuel and gimbaling engines.
I can't do the arithmetic in my head (I plead caffeine deprivation), but somehow I imagine 1 million pounds times x delta v equals a lot of fuel, more than a regular trunk. maybe not, considering how "easily" Progress can boost the orbit.

I can't do the arithmetic in my head (I plead caffeine deprivation), but somehow I imagine 1 million pounds times x delta v equals a lot of fuel, more than a regular trunk. maybe not, considering how "easily" Progress can boost the orbit.
They would let the orbit decay naturally, then use the tug to control the final entry point in the south Pacific.

If launched with a Falcon Heavy, the de-orbit vehicle could be quite heavy compared to a normal dragon.

In their coverage, Ars Technica said that it was likely going to be a "Super Dragon" like they're planning on using at the Lunar Gateway space station. It's apparently a Crew Dragon with a bunch of extra stuff (including lots of fuel) in its service module.

If they are targeting Point Nemo there may be nice places (Tahiti!?) to watch it burn in from a beach with an umbrella drink in your hand.

In their coverage, Ars Technica said that it was likely going to be a "Super Dragon" like they're planning on using at the Lunar Gateway space station. It's apparently a Crew Dragon with a bunch of extra stuff (including lots of fuel) in its service module.
A Super Dragon or Dragon XL designed for supplying the Lunar Gateway would need to be modified with a propulsion system capable of deorbiting the ISS. In addition to much more thrust and propellant required, the engines would need to gimbal to ensure the thrust is in line with the station center of mass.

A Super Dragon or Dragon XL designed for supplying the Lunar Gateway would need to be modified with a propulsion system capable of deorbiting the ISS. In addition to much more thrust and propellant required, the engines would need to gimbal to ensure the thrust is in line with the station center of mass.
These mods would be necessary for a general purpose space tug or space trash disposal truck.

Last edited:
If anyone wants a space tug then use NTP craft they have the thrust and the efficiency to deorbit 10 perhaps 15 times! Take DRACO and give it a harpoon gun, or maybe a spray foam that can be decomposed with another chemical.

If anyone wants a space tug then use NTP craft they have the thrust and the efficiency to deorbit 10 perhaps 15 times! Take DRACO and give it a harpoon gun, or maybe a spray foam that can be decomposed with another chemical.
For a deorbiting maneuver, I believe that you want a lot of thrust right now so you can lower the object's altitude enough to get into reliably thicker air so you can hit a general target in the sea. That's pretty much the opposite of what NTP does. Plus, I'm willing to bet quite a bit of money that even if approved tomorrow and no major funding issues, an NTP system would not be flying in 2029 or 2030.

Isn't there a docking port at either end of the main spine that you could use as the connection point? Smarter people than me would have to say whether the Super Draco thrusters could provide the necessary thrust (and incidental control) for a good de-orbit.

Smarter people than me would have to say whether the Super Draco thrusters could provide the necessary thrust (and incidental control) for a good de-orbit.
Yeah, I suppose they could arrange multiple Super Draco engines such that throttling could provide control of the net thrust vector. But whether that is good enough is beyond me.

For a deorbiting maneuver, I believe that you want a lot of thrust right now so you can lower the object's altitude enough to get into reliably thicker air so you can hit a general target in the sea. That's pretty much the opposite of what NTP does. Plus, I'm willing to bet quite a bit of money that even if approved tomorrow and no major funding issues, an NTP system would not be flying in 2029 or 2030.
I wasn’t suggesting that that’s what they use. just that NTP could be effective at deorbiting stuff. Actually I think you would need only 250mps of delta V to get a controlled reentry ( from space shuttle manual with 100 mps added for the extra mass) a pebble bed type NTP can manage that with 200mps to spare I’m not certain about burn time but it should be acceptable, if you have ever seen a military NTP they all are planned around pebble beds.

Ps if I was home I’d do the math but I don’t have the book with the good NTP preform numbers and I can’t find anything substantial online.

Here's where I display my ignorance of orbital mechanics. In what direction does one point a "de-orbit burn"?
Ok so if you’re traveling along a line then there’s 2 different ways to face

Prograde, your “front” think of looking out a windshield in a car

Retrograde your “back” think of looking at your rear view mirror

If you burn with your nose facing retrograde then the lowest point in your orbit gets lower and vice versa.

Here's where I display my ignorance of orbital mechanics. In what direction does one point a "de-orbit burn"?
The direction that causes deceleration. Decelerate = fall towards Earth, Accelerate = move further away. My description is really basic but its how it was explained to me, there are probably lots of really complicated manuevers as well.

Back