questions from a vendor

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shecker

Reaction score
To be clear, this post is not an advertisement.

Hey fellas! I'm from a pyrochemical company and I've been researching amateur rocketry for the past week or so. I've been looking to find groups or clubs that are looking to buy propellants like HTPB or ammonium perchlorate. However, it seems to me that there is a very limited amount of groups that need ONLY the chemicals, since most groups buy kits with the propellants and oxiders already present. Am I looking in the wrong place? Again, this isn't an advertisement I just need to know if I'm simply looking in the wrong place.

Thanks!!

Sir I am not qualified to answer this question. I hope to be one day. I know that people here make their own motors, but the research forum part of this site is only open to L2 certified members, I bought @prfesser t's book, on motor construction, but I am waiting until I am qualified to start.

Thank you.

Hey fellas! I'm from a pyrochemical company and I've been researching amateur rocketry for the past week or so. I've been looking to find groups or clubs that are looking to buy propellants like HTPB or ammonium perchlorate. However, it seems to me that there is a very limited amount of groups that need ONLY the chemicals, since most groups buy kits with the propellants and oxiders already present. Am I looking in the wrong place? Again, this isn't an advertisement I just need to know if I'm simply looking in the wrong place.

Thanks!!

See an Ad above your post, right side. That is how to reach them, look at the rate card for ads here and see if it works for you.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1719276783179.png

Thanks!!
Shecker,

Welcome to The Rocketry Forum.
There are people wo take part in making their own motors. It;s called Research rocketry. There is a 'section' in this forum for Research threads. It is closed to the public and takes special certifications to get into.
General formulas and detailed info is not allowed outside the Research forum.

If you have a website and chems you want us to be aware of...I think you can post it here.

I started a conversation with you..which is like a PM msg.

Tony

With dual deployment being the future, reloading my old motors is definately interesting.

So I'm game for kits.

Hilarious that the forum has a gatekeeper for that. The info is out there already. Ya'll ain't protecting anyone.

shecker:

I think there are a number of college and university rocket teams that make their own motors and fuel grains. They might be a good place to look. I suspect most of those teams have SOME idea of what they are doing, so if you sell them good stuff, the liability is likely to be less than with some other customers.

You might find some interesting links to other groups at nakka-rocketry.net

There's also the rocketry subreddit, though there is at least one would-be gatekeeper. I don't know if he has any traction yet, though.

Island Group is the major pyrochem supplier in Long Island NY. Is this where you work? They typically only sell to businesses and not individuals.

Most people purchase APCP rocket motors manufactured by a few companies who have their products certified for use by the hobby rocketry organizations. Some of those companies may already be your customers.

Tripoli Rocketry Association allows certified members to launch rocket motor that are self-made. The types of chemicals allowed are limited by the TRA safety code. Most people buy chemicals as group purchases or from one of the motor manufacturers who also sells supplies.

Details about chemicals and formulas are limited to certified members who have access to the restricted "Research Forum" here on TRF. This is primarily due to ITAR restrictions and liability concerns from the forum owners and some of the posters.

I just wonder how the other forums, web sites, etc. protect themselves from ITAR liability. Some of them are pretty clearly in the US, unless that's just culturally and not geographically. Furthermore, you can get details of fuel compositions from publicly available, US government sources. For instance, from some DoD site whose name I forget (DTIC?), and from NASA's NTRS server.

I just wonder how the other forums, web sites, etc. protect themselves from ITAR liability. Some of them are pretty clearly in the US, unless that's just culturally and not geographically. Furthermore, you can get details of fuel compositions from publicly available, US government sources. For instance, from some DoD site whose name I forget (DTIC?), and from NASA's NTRS server.
Some people worry less about it than others. Personally I doubt there's any ITAR concern with sharing info the US govt. has openly published, but I'm not a lawyer.

Thanks!!
I think everyone missed the mark on his comments.

first, those of us who make grains DO NOT buy kits of the chemicals per-measured. We tend to buy chemicals and pick and choose what we want based on the intended formula

second, this part of the deal (presence of a place to buy chemicals) is not required to be in the research forum. He's not selling premixed stuff, not posting formulas or mixing procedures. He's merely (potentially) offering a source to buy stuff. This is NOT ITAR. Otherwise, Art's post is a ITAR violation. So would Skylighter's website, and RCS Smoke, and well, any chemical company's website, not to mention mine I respectfully request those who would mention regulations would read and understand them first. Please stop claiming things are regulated via a regulation you don't know or understand /flame off/ There is also quite a history of selling chems on this forum in the yard sale area.

So, to answer Shecker's question, yes we'd love to have another supplier, yes we would love to have a choice (and maybe better prices). If you want to have a discussion about it, please DM me.

second, this part of the deal (presence of a place to buy chemicals) is not required to be in the research forum. He's not selling premixed stuff, not posting formulas or mixing procedures. He's merely (potentially) offering a source to buy stuff. This is NOT ITAR. Otherwise, Art's post is a ITAR violation. So would Skylighter's website, and RCS Smoke, and well, any chemical company's website, not to mention mine I respectfully request those who would mention regulations would read and understand them first. Please stop claiming things are regulated via a regulation you don't know or understand /flame off/ There is also quite a history of selling chems on this forum in the yard sale area.
The tangent came when a poster above referred to the rules surrounding the research forum. No one has expressed that the OP's post or any sales of chemicals has any ITAR issue, only that the reason why the research forum itself is closed to non-US persons and L0 & L1 rocketeers is due to ITAR concerns.

Back