Post a pic that makes you LOL

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to have a lot of fun on I-84 headed to Mt Home with my brake light tester back when the cops mostly used 10 GHz radar.
I drove to work and back from Mtn Home to Boise. That was 82 to 87. I didn't have a radar detector then. Got a few tickets. We go to Boise once in a while to see my wife's family. I love the 80mph speed limit. At 85 or 90 we get from Boise to Mtn Home quicker. At Mtn Home we head south.

My first ticket you will know exactly where it happened. At MHAFB. As you go by the Jr High, at least in my time there during the summer the sprinkler system sprayed part of the road as you approached the main gate. Summer day went through the water and started to accelerate to go through the gate back to Mtn. Home. I got pulled over by the SP, (stupid police) and was issued a citation for excessive speed under adverse conditions. Under that he wrote 26 MPH in posted 25 MPH with wet pavement. Yeah. Dad was livid, he told me if I got another ticket HE had to go to drivers school and that WASN'T going to happen! He then read the ticket, and said exactly what I did. SP stands for "stupid police."
The first real ticket was at the top of that first hill outside of Boise on the way to Mtn. Home. I topped the hill doing 113 MPH saw the skunk car sitting there and just coasted to a stop. $335 ticket. I was saved because he wrote it as a preposted 70 MPH zone. (this was just after most speed limits were dropped to 55MPH.
I got a ticket near Ely coming back from Idaho. That was when the speed limits went to 55. I was doing 70 and the cop wrote me a ticket for wasting valuable resources. It was for $5. I said to the cop. You pulled me over to give me a $5 ticket. I know what it's like telling my wife I got a ticket and she would say, now I have to see the first shirt. When we first got there I was young and stupid and got a DUI. She hit the roof.

We were just in Las Vegas for 3 weeks and did a week road trip to/from San Diego while there to visit our daughter. Speed limit along the 15 was posted between 65 and 70......but if you weren't doing at least 85 in the slow lane, you were getting your doors blown off.

Often times, the wolf packs of 85+ drivers were lead by or mixed in with highway patrol, Nevada side and Cali side. Very strange.

And good luck maintaining 65 on the 8% downward slope into Cali without burning out your brakes!!! About every other truck run out area had a truck in it with smoking brakes. Yikes!

Not sure what it takes to get a speeding ticket in Nevada or Cali, at least between Vegas and Barstow (where all the hell begins and it's virtually impossible to speed because of traffic congestion)!
And you didn't let me know.

Many years ago we went to San Diego in my Mustang. When we left the produce check station it was like the start at La Mans. I went with everybody else. My wife asked, how fast are we going. I looked and we were going 110 and getting passed.

And you didn't let me know.

Many years ago we went to San Diego in my Mustang. When we left the produce check station it was like the start at La Mans. I went with everybody else. My wife asked, how fast are we going. I looked and we were going 110 and getting passed.

Isn't that the place where they ask if you have any Fruits or Vegetables, and if you give the Smart Alec answer she gives you that look and says she has heard that for decades?

Just want to say as someone who works on the highway I have seen HUNDREDS of these. Also, there is a special place in hell for those that intentionally throw these at construction equipment cabs thus breaking windows and thus splattering the nasty contents all over the inside of the cab. Fortunately, I've only ever had this happen when no one is on site...but still...whatta a nasty scene to come upon in the morning.

Yeah, that was a really bad day around the office. Happened at LM Space Systems in Sunnyvale, California. In a different building from where one I was working on dropped a few inches straight down while on the shaker table; that one didn't fall over. And it wasn't caused by the same knuckleheaded blunders as the the one pictured above.

Yeah, that was a really bad day around the office. Happened at LM Space Systems in Sunnyvale, California. In a different building from where one I was working on dropped a few inches straight down while on the shaker table; that one didn't fall over. And it wasn't caused by the same knuckleheaded blunders as the the one pictured above.
I heard the story but I can't remember now, did someone take out the hold-down bolts and not record that they did so, or did they record that they took the bolts out and no one checked the record or the bolts before moving it?

The night shift "borrowed" the bolts to use for a different satellite, which they simply should never have done. There's no proper place to record it, because it's never a proper thing to do. They also didn't notify the day shift in any other manner that they'd done it.

The day shift came in and failed to perform any verification that everything was in place before starting to tilt the satellite. Sure, they'd followed the procedure for installing them, torqueing them right, and whatever else was called for. All the same, after leaving it and coming back the next day, one does a walk around and visual check that all is well, which they did not.

The blame goes 80:20 against the night shift.

I was working for the commercial division of Space Systems, in Newtown, Pennsylvania. Even though it wasn't our bird, it was still a bad day.

The one that was our bird was a commercial com sat, AMC-4. Those were designed and build in two places. The outer panels, where most of the equipment resides, were designed, assembled, and functionally tested there in Newtown; the core structure, where some equipment including most of the propulsion system resides, was constructed and functionally tested in Sunnyvale. Then our part was shipped to Sunnyvale where the two pieces were mated and went through environmental testing. And I'm leaving out a bunch of details.

The fully integrated satellite was bolted to the shaker table where vibration testing is done. The hydraulic cylinder on one corner developed a tiny leak inside the rubber boot, putting a mist of aerosolized hydraulic fluid into the volume inside the boot; no one could have known it was there. And no one knows where the spark came from. It blew out the cylinder and dropped the satellite several inches to a hard landing, but the bolts held and the satellite remained upright. The person in charge was a friend, a temporary transplant from Newtown. After a lot of analysis and negotiation with the customer, we agreed on a plan for extra inspections and tests. Ultimately it launched on November 13, 1999 with a planned 15 year mission life, and is still operating.

Ah, those were the days.

The night shift "borrowed" the bolts to use for a different satellite, which they simply should never have done. There's no proper place to record it, because it's never a proper thing to do. They also didn't notify the day shift in any other manner that they'd done it.
Ugh. Borrowing GSE hardware sitting on a shelf is one thing, but I can't fathom how anyone could think it was a good idea to borrow GSE hardware that was in use.

Thanks for the clarification.

thinking the cleaning crew:
"Hey, look at these cool bolts!! They're supposed to go into space!! How cool is that?! And they're $120 each!!! They're like Niobium or Unobtanium or something.."

Ugh. Borrowing GSE hardware sitting on a shelf is one thing, but I can't fathom how anyone could think it was a good idea to borrow GSE hardware that was in use.

Thanks for the clarification.
Yeah, it was really inexcusable. I don't know whether heads rolled or firm admonishments and retraining were considered sufficient. Something like that doesn't happen out of the blue. I'm in the realm of speculation here: it seems like there must have been a lax culture that led to this, and whoever was in charge and allowed that to take hold is the one who should be removed from authority, either fired or transferred.

But enough of this; it's neither pictures not funny.

When a lot of us were growing older all cars had ash trays and cigarette lighters. All the newer cars I have had still have a receptacle that used to be for a lighter but now are power ports for things like dash cams and radar detectors.

Our helicopter has an ash tray and a foot dimmer switch (wired to the radio)

PSX_20240604_180915.jpg

Back