OFFICIAL LDRS 42- urrg.us

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do vaguely remember Country Charm moving to a more 'seasonal' type model, with few (if any) remaining 'daily / drop in' sites..

I get it, but..

LOOK at the planned BFR flights. So cool
They got the picture wrong for one of my BFR flights listed there (as its the same picture from the flight listed prior) but they have a ton going on so it was an easy mistake when uploading. Can't wait!!!

Hi Team. I see there was some interest in country charm campground. Foe those that aren't familiar with it. Its like 1.5 miles from the field. Its where the URRG board always camps during the year. This year we worked out with the owner to make available 30 sites to start with for LDRS 42 tent campers. The location is right next to the community center building which has a pool table, accommodations for eating many tables and chairs, coffee makers fridge etc. It also has an attached pavilion that has picnic tables under it. Also there's a complete multiple bathroom and shower facility right close. If you want to tent camp for LDRS this is the place to be, once the 30 tent sites are taken we will be opening another area but the accommodations aren't so close to the tent sites. If i were tent camping this is the spot as its close to the field and were we all have fun together.
If interested in reserving a spot call Samantha at country charm 9-3 pm M-F eastern time, 585-739-1841 Tell sam you would like one of the LDRS 42 30 Tent sites available near the rec hall. Tell her Larry sent you. Pay your down payment and get put on the list she is saving for me so we know all who will be coming.
We have fun at night prepping rockets for the next day in the rec hall there's lots of room and lighting.

Hi Team. I see there was some interest in country charm campground. Foe those that aren't familiar with it. Its like 1.5 miles from the field. Its where the URRG board always camps during the year. This year we worked out with the owner to make available 30 sites to start with for LDRS 42 tent campers. The location is right next to the community center building which has a pool table, accommodations for eating many tables and chairs, coffee makers fridge etc. It also has an attached pavilion that has picnic tables under it. Also there's a complete multiple bathroom and shower facility right close. If you want to tent camp for LDRS this is the place to be, once the 30 tent sites are taken we will be opening another area but the accommodations aren't so close to the tent sites. If i were tent camping this is the spot as its close to the field and were we all have fun together.
If interested in reserving a spot call Samantha at country charm 9-3 pm M-F eastern time, 585-739-1841 Tell sam you would like one of the LDRS 42 30 Tent sites available near the rec hall. Tell her Larry sent you. Pay your down payment and get put on the list she is saving for me so we know all who will be coming.
We have fun at night prepping rockets for the next day in the rec hall there's lots of room and lighting.
Good to know! I reserved a site back in July but the location is listed as “assigned at check in”. I’ll give them a call and see if I can be near the group.

I can't wait, I've never been to any type of rocketry event and haven't launched in 10 years. I've flown with a club until getting back into rocketry this year. I joined URRG as they are close and I'll be going regularly to fly. I'm still not sure where im gonna stay and I need to register yet. I wasnt sure if active club members had to register or not?

Either way it doesn't matter I'm just not sure if everyone had to pay I've never done this. Anyways Im going to register asap I hope to fly but I mostly want to watch and learn. I'm hoping the weather holds out in April so I can go for my L2 attempt, that would be nice to have for June. I'm looking for a job too, so may only get to come up Sat and Sun.

In that case I'll probably just drive both days, a hotel room would be just as much as gas at that point. If I go for all 4 days im going to try to get a room as close as I can. Its just too far out yet for me to make permanent plans, sucks a little but its all good. Just going to watch is going to be amazing, I think about it daily. Sorry for the long rant all, super excited but under the weather.

Michael B.

Thanks for that update Larry!

Good to know! I reserved a site back in July but the location is listed as “assigned at check in”. I’ll give them a call and see if I can be near the group.
Just an FYI that I called and spoke to Sam about the LDRS spots and she noted that they haven't set the spots yet, so spot numbers aren't available yet, but they will have them set aside.

I can't wait, I've never been to any type of rocketry event and haven't launched in 10 years. I've flown with a club until getting back into rocketry this year. I joined URRG as they are close and I'll be going regularly to fly. I'm still not sure where im gonna stay and I need to register yet. I wasnt sure if active club members had to register or not?

Either way it doesn't matter I'm just not sure if everyone had to pay I've never done this. Anyways Im going to register asap I hope to fly but I mostly want to watch and learn. I'm hoping the weather holds out in April so I can go for my L2 attempt, that would be nice to have for June. I'm looking for a job too, so may only get to come up Sat and Sun.

In that case I'll probably just drive both days, a hotel room would be just as much as gas at that point. If I go for all 4 days im going to try to get a room as close as I can. Its just too far out yet for me to make permanent plans, sucks a little but its all good. Just going to watch is going to be amazing, I think about it daily. Sorry for the long rant all, super excited but under the weather.

Michael B.
As your building your experience for your L2, Higgs field is about to open up down at MDRA. Not sure how far that is from you but may not be far with you in PA. May give the opportunity to get some winter flying in and more opportunities to earn your L2. If the weather holds, ill be heading there this weekend to burn an M or two.

@Larry W it's Paul here, the guy who you held some motors for from URRF 9..

We are looking for a spot at country Charm, but need a hook-up. e-mail to Sam has gone unanswered.. so, do yo know if all those are take n up?

@Larry W it's Paul here, the guy who you held some motors for from URRF 9..

We are looking for a spot at country Charm, but need a hook-up. e-mail to Sam has gone unanswered.. so, do yo know if all those are take n up?
You should call. I emailed Monday morning and didn't get a response, but called this morning at 9:30AM and got Sam right away. Please see my post above about the spots.

Hi Team. Michael we look forward to seeing you in the spring ill get you hooked up and if your interested i could get you volunteering for ldrs 42 just a bit so you can watch as well maybe a shift 2 hr shift as you get to go out with the guys flying and its fun plus you will get special raffle tickets for each shift only for volunteers and the prizes are going to be really nice.

Hi Team. Paul if you need power call and reserve a tent sight and pay for one with the ldrs group near the community center. then once there i can get you moved near me or our group so you have power. I believe we will be running extension cords from the rec center over to the tent area so everyone can get power in there tents for phones etc. i would suggest if you tent coming near the rec center bring a 30 or 50 ft cord and a splitter and ill get involved to get the tent area power, obviously if we get power to the tents that way you cant all be pulling 20 amp but alot of charging can be going on.

As your building your experience for your L2, Higgs field is about to open up down at MDRA. Not sure how far that is from you but may not be far with you in PA. May give the opportunity to get some winter flying in and more opportunities to earn your L2. If the weather holds, ill be heading there this weekend to burn an M or two.
Yeah I've been looking at that club too since June or so. It was going back and forth and the decision was URRG as it was a closer drive. I haven't worked in 10 years(with the exception of about 10 months in 2017-2018 that messed me up more, lol), had a bad injury and surgery that went south in 2012 so I've been not doing much in a decade.

It looks like MDRA is about 5 hours or so one way. My issue too with my injuries I have to stop every hour to stretch, I also have company I bring that isn't in the best of health either so a shorter drive is better at the moment with one day trips. Another thing is budget, I've decided its better to try and work then not even though I'm very limited to what I can do. I've gone through many things with this injury and it's getting worse but found ways to deal with it with other ones adding up.

That being said, I doing my best at going back to work. I've already had a few interviews so its looking good I've only starting applying a few weeks ago. Disability has been a nightmare too since 2014 , thanks to a judge that threw out my case. He felt I didn't do enough physical therapy that he would deny my case, lol. I had about 12 doctors telling me something different.

So with getting into back into this I've had to be careful with spending. I've had some rockets and supplies I bought back in 2012 to give me something to do while hurt but haven't touched them since then, until this year. But I've recently moved to another spot temporarily while I look for new housing which is a daily headache. The house I pretty much grew up in, other family decided they needed a place to live for a short time, that was 3 years ago.

Back in May I went to Hobby Lobby and grabbed a Estes kit with some A and B motors because I was feeling very depressed again. I'm still having trouble moving but its getting easier. I felt I didn't have much to live for after losing that job back then and gave up with many things I wish I hadn't.

I really appreciate the heads up, sorry for the long story its dark at 16:30 here now. I will definitely think about coming down there at some point in the future. I'm a member of two clubs now. One here in Pennsylvania, SPAAR for low power. Then joined URRG in NY to fly high. As soon as things are a little more stable in my life I will come down for sure even to watch! I'm not sure when, it may be a little bit honestly. It was on my mind to make sure I could afford to keep doing this, that involved taking the winter off if the L1 cert flight was successful. It was.

So thank you, I am definitely still looking at clubs around the area too. Being part of two right now is about my limit for the time being as I wish to fly with them regularly. But ill keep it in mind for sure. I was looking at the website too a while back searching for clubs, it seems pretty awesome.

Michael B.

Hi Team. Michael we look forward to seeing you in the spring ill get you hooked up and if your interested i could get you volunteering for ldrs 42 just a bit so you can watch as well maybe a shift 2 hr shift as you get to go out with the guys flying and its fun plus you will get special raffle tickets for each shift only for volunteers and the prizes are going to be really nice.
Hi Larry!

That sounds awesome, I've been reading what you have planned! I honestly don't know if I'll be there the whole 4 days right now. I'm looking for employment so I'm not sure what I will be working. But, I'm definitely planning on Saturday and Sunday for sure. I decided I'm going to pre-register soon anyways, and I would definitely be interested in volunteering too.

I'm almost thinking for my first big event I may just mostly watch, learn, and take many pictures/videos along with volunteering. A few will be there I watch on YouTube also so it will be awesome to watch them fly. Seeing how LDRS is pretty special, and this is my first one. I'm better to try a fly at least one L2 rocket even if it's the cert flight. But I'm hoping for the April & May launches the weather is good for my L2 cert flight attempt though before June.

I just want to be sure before I commit to Thursday and Friday I'm going to be there. So when I register Larry I'll make sure I remember to send an email for the volunteer Information/sign up.

Thanks again Larry,

Michael B.

Last edited:
All good as they say. I look forward to seeing everyone. Our launches are always fun because of the people. Our URRF launches are well attended, and our group has that down as we practice once a year. LDRS is about 4 times that of URRF so we try to stay proactive on getting anyone we can to sign up. We have a lot to pull from which helps I look forward to you hopefully coming to enjoy. Volunteering is a great way to see everything others do and how they do it. I learn a lot no matter what i sign up for. Most of our bod started that way and many get as much satisfaction out of helping as we do flying. Of course, the campfires and great food with friends helps as well.

Last LDRS for us was LDRS 34 2015 so its been a while.

I feel this this should go with out saying with today's technology, and considering the value of a rocket with a motor case in it at a minimum.

Going to mention it anyway due to I just seen a FB post on someone looking for a 4 inch rocket from a past event from several months ago. A huge and well worthy investment for any launch!!! Tracker's, tracker's, tracker's. GPS, Radio, even Apple Air Tags help. There is plenty of time now before LDRS 42 to research and get one. If you do not have one, please take the time to research what works well for you and buy one.

No fun spending a few hours looking for your rocket when you could be back at your tent drinking a pop and preparing for your next flight:)

In effort to not hijack this thread and discuss trackers here. Here is a link to review: https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/what-tracker-should-i-choose.181365/#post-2469119

Simply wanted to put a reminder out there.

-Jerry

All good as they say. I look forward to seeing everyone. Our launches are always fun because of the people. Our URRF launches are well attended, and our group has that down as we practice once a year. LDRS is about 4 times that of URRF so we try to stay proactive on getting anyone we can to sign up. We have a lot to pull from which helps I look forward to you hopefully coming to enjoy. Volunteering is a great way to see everything others do and how they do it. I learn a lot no matter what i sign up for. Most of our bod started that way and many get as much satisfaction out of helping as we do flying. Of course, the campfires and great food with friends helps as well.

Last LDRS for us was LDRS 34 2015 so its been a while.
I can't wait to volunteer and help the club Larry, I just joined this year and intend to keep flying there. I've searched for quite while for a club, and this one is perfect. I wish I had found this in 2013 when I was looking, I bought most of this stuff I'm just flying now. I don't know how I missed it back then, and stopped flying for 10 years an injury stopped me too. But that's my fault, but getting back into this May has been incredible and thats an understatement.

I'll get registered for LDRS shortly and sign up for the volunteer list too. I'd love to help out, and get the chance to gain some knowledge is priceless to me. Like I said I haven't launched in some time, and just got into high power this year. I plan on attending every launch you have at least one day(for the weekenders until I get some camping gear or a van, lol).

So I'll get in the swing of things once I'm regularly attending, and hopefully chatting at the campsite eventually. I should have stopped in September 10th when we drove up for the chicken dinner, I still feel bad we left early. Well not early but when you were all done flying.

Thank again,

Michael B.

Last edited:
yeah, it's out usual when we do URRF, but it now says "full"..

didn't thing they would have filled up soooo fast! (We're still 6 months out!!)
I was told back In September by Teddy(From One Bad Hawk)and his wife that we should book very soon. I knew she was serious too but its still too far out for me.

I live in Pennsylvania its a little under a 2.5 hour drive. But its my "local" club I'll be going too regularly. I'd like to eventually stay at the campground too, but by the time I'll be able to book anything not knowing my schedule yet. Im not sure where I'm going to stay in June, how many usually attend an LDRS event? I have no clue, I've never attended one.

I mean im sure im going to be able to find a hotel, but it may be a 45 min to an hour drive from the field, but thats easier everyday than drive now, well it ends up with pit stops and such about a 6 hour round trip. Thanks again, I appreciate any advice.

I feel this this should go with out saying with today's technology, and considering the value of a rocket with a motor case in it at a minimum.

Going to mention it anyway due to I just seen a FB post on someone looking for a 4 inch rocket from a past event from several months ago. A huge and well worthy investment for any launch!!! Tracker's, tracker's, tracker's. GPS, Radio, even Apple Air Tags help. There is plenty of time now before LDRS 42 to research and get one. If you do not have one, please take the time to research what works well for you and buy one.

No fun spending a few hours looking for your rocket when you could be back at your tent drinking a pop and preparing for your next flight:)

In effort to not hijack this thread and discuss trackers here. Here is a link to review: https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/what-tracker-should-i-choose.181365/#post-2469119

Simply wanted to put a reminder out there.

-Jerry
Thats great information, I've been planning myself to get a tracker for sure. I was very impressed too at URRG how many were recovered too with trackers and some not too. Its a an absolutely great field.

I wouldn't put a apple air tag in the same group as trackers and gps. Air tags have 30-100 foot range, which means you're not getting a signal until you are almost on top of it. That means you at least need to know which direction to travel - and that's 90% of the problem!

JMHO

Jerry is right its best to invest in tracking before you take a big loose. Most do it in reverse order and it hurts both ways.

On another note book the campsite now or any form of stay. Don't think for a minute you'll find one later. if you do the price will reflect waiting. If you find out you cant make it cancel asap so you open a spot for others. if you cancel 1 week out at the camp site you get refunded. If less I think you pay something. just my thoughts

+1 to what Larry said. Wait for May and there will be nothing available. Pen Yann is squarely on the wine trail and is close to Watkins Glen. Both gobble up hotel rooms in the area.

+1 to what Larry said. Wait for May and there will be nothing available. Pen Yann is squarely on the wine trail and is close to Watkins Glen. Both gobble up hotel rooms in the area.
I just got some unexpected money today, from the government, lol. My dang issue is I'm trying to find employment. Ill still be in the same area but don't know my permanent schedule yet.

I'll work it out, this year is just tricky with my current living situation. I'm sure I can find something around the PA border if all else fails. That's still about an hour drive but not 3. Thanks !

I wouldn't put a apple air tag in the same group as trackers and gps. Air tags have 30-100 foot range, which means you're not getting a signal until you are almost on top of it. That means you at least need to know which direction to travel - and that's 90% of the problem!

JMHO
Sure there are better options then an Air Tag. However please note: Once you connect it initially, you can ship it to the opposite side of the US see it and track it. I live in NY, my parents are 77 year old and live in southern Florida. I tossed a tracker in their trunk a year ago (need to keep an eye on mom and pops for safety reasons) and I can clearly see where they are and have been. I have one in my luggage, snowmobile, and 67 mustang. When I travel I can see when my luggage gets off the plane and heads to the claims area and I am well beyond 100 feet away. Not sure when was the last time you used one, but they work great for 25 bucks. I use them as a back up on all my rockets. My primary GPS is a feather weight.

Here is a current pic of the Air Tag I have in my snowmobile. Mind you this is in a 4 story concrete building. It's been in there since last March. It even shows what part of the building it is in which I can say is accurate. Then when you are near by you can trigger the "play sound" which may help you find it easier. It's not the loudest tone or jingle but it helps. Again not my primary but way better than nothing if your budget is tight because you just went and bought an M motor from Wildman :)

Attachments

• IMG_3831.PNG
    IMG_3831.PNG
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3832.PNG
    IMG_3832.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Ok, I registered today for LDRS. But I have no clue what to volunteer for as thats my next step...

Attachments

• 20231219_120204.jpg
    20231219_120204.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20231219-120517_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231219-120517_Chrome.jpg
    445 KB · Views: 0
Sure there are better options then an Air Tag. However please note: Once you connect it initially, you can ship it to the opposite side of the US see it and track it. I live in NY, my parents are 77 year old and live in southern Florida. I tossed a tracker in their trunk a year ago (need to keep an eye on mom and pops for safety reasons) and I can clearly see where they are and have been. I have one in my luggage, snowmobile, and 67 mustang. When I travel I can see when my luggage gets off the plane and heads to the claims area and I am well beyond 100 feet away. Not sure when was the last time you used one, but they work great for 25 bucks. I use them as a back up on all my rockets. My primary GPS is a feather weight.

Here is a current pic of the Air Tag I have in my snowmobile. Mind you this is in a 4 story concrete building. It's been in there since last March. It even shows what part of the building it is in which I can say is accurate. Then when you are near by you can trigger the "play sound" which may help you find it easier. It's not the loudest tone or jingle but it helps. Again not my primary but way better than nothing if your budget is tight because you just went and bought an M motor from Wildman :)
The problem I'm finding with the air tags and the cheaper pet trackers I've been trying to use. Is they all only seem to register or show the drop tag location where it was when you or it went out of the Bluetooth distance. I had one that I thought worked like the air tags are supposed too, but once you got out of the Bluetooth range it disconnected. It still shows where it's at, but it could be moving and you won't know.

My thoughts were well if I see if go down I can walk to it and it will connect if I'm close enough to hear beeps. But the issue was once it disconnected they wouldn't reconnect even if you were in range. You had to link the tag to the phone again to show live tracking within 15m.

If you leave your phone at home and move the airtag or snowmobile does it show it moving? I'm just confused by these, some say they work and others say they don't. I don't want to crowd this thread though anymore with this. But I appreciate it.

Last edited:
My understanding of AirTags specifically is that they will connect to ANY iPhone in range to update their general location. So you lose your rocket deep in the weeds and don't even come close to finding it. But, someone else with an iPhone walks within range, their iPhone will send your AirTag's location to Apple, so now you know approximately where it is.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Latest posts

Back