New member from STL

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarStriker

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I just competed at SA Cup. It was a blast. I was structures lead for St. Louis University and our rocket preformed almost flawlessly(drogue and main released at the same time, but better than no chute at all). It was our first time back since 2018. I signed up here bc I’m leading propulsion this year and need as much info as I can get. 🦾🚀

Thanks everyone!

IMG_2204.jpeg

If you're making your own solid motors, you might want to join the sugpro forum. There's a link at nakka-rocketry.net . And a whole bunch of other fun stuff. Hybrids or liquids maybe at the rocketry subreddit? Unless you qualify for the restricted access forums here.

Y’all doing an SRAD hybrid or solid?
We hope to do hybrid, but my chemistry professor told me he wanted me to learn solids as they have a formula and didn’t have student interest in the past. So my job is to learn solids for our cert rockets and the club’s president is going to do a hybrid for his senior project. We hope that goes as expected and can use that for SA cup next year.

Working on my level 2 rocket so I can be FoR for our experimental motors. I wound our CF tubes this past year and made our fins out of aluminum(as we got sent micarta instead of g10 and it was too late- went to a local store and picked up aluminum and water jet our fins same day).

I was at Parks/SLU many years ago before the rocket team stuff existed. Check out a St Louis Rocketry Association launch if you can.

Is Dr Kirkpatrick your Chem teacher?

Nice! Going for an SRAD solid for next year sounds like a great plan and feasible within a year. You will still likely need an L3 assuming you are going to do an M class or higher SRAD motor.

Doing a hybrid and flying it within a year is pretty tough. It depends on how simple or complex you want the motor to be (common bulkhead between the PV and combustion chamber) or full plumbing and instrumentation on the rocket. 2 years is a good plan for start of motor development to flying. Having the motor built and tested as a senior project is a good plan.

Good luck! If you ever have any hybrid questions, feel free to reach out. I love talking propulsion.

I was at Parks/SLU many years ago before the rocket team stuff existed. Check out a St Louis Rocketry Association launch if you can.

Is Dr Kirkpatrick your Chem teacher?
Dr Buckner. Our previous president, the senior class, was the last of Parks. They were pretty mad about the name change. I’m part of SLRA, just haven’t been too active. This past year all the HPR launches were cancelled due to weather so I went to Indiana NSL for my cert 1. I’m trying to get the team to go with me to all the launches this year.

Dr Buckner. Our previous president, the senior class, was the last of Parks. They were pretty mad about the name change. I’m part of SLRA, just haven’t been too active. This past year all the HPR launches were cancelled due to weather so I went to Indiana NSL for my cert 1. I’m trying to get the team to go with me to all the launches

Nice! Going for an SRAD solid for next year sounds like a great plan and feasible within a year. You will still likely need an L3 assuming you are going to do an M class or higher SRAD motor.

Doing a hybrid and flying it within a year is pretty tough. It depends on how simple or complex you want the motor to be (common bulkhead between the PV and combustion chamber) or full plumbing and instrumentation on the rocket. 2 years is a good plan for start of motor development to flying. Having the motor built and tested as a senior project is a good plan.

Good luck! If you ever have any hybrid questions, feel free to reach out. I love talking propulsion.
Thank you for this. Yes- we were thinking by the time I’m to my senior year we can have a hybrid system going- I’m a sophomore this year. We are close with our L3, Sparkman, but I’ll be looking into that more as the year progresses. I’m excited for my L2 build- I have the motor mount epoxied and will begin working on it more Tuesday. I went kit as I don’t think I can access the water jet in summer for making my foam mandrel pieces and fins.

Dr Buckner. Our previous president, the senior class, was the last of Parks. They were pretty mad about the name change. I’m part of SLRA, just haven’t been too active. This past year all the HPR launches were cancelled due to weather so I went to Indiana NSL for my cert 1. I’m trying to get the team to go with me to all the launches this year.
Buckner not a name I remember, but I graduated 20 years ago. Kay Boop, Frank Coffee, Condor, and Kirkpatrick are about all that are left that I know of. I haven't made it out to a SLRA launch lately either. You think the Seniors were mad you should of heard some of the alumni I know who are still miffed about the move from the old campus and that was coming up on 30 years ago!

Buckner not a name I remember, but I graduated 20 years ago. Kay Boop, Frank Coffee, Condor, and Kirkpatrick are about all that are left that I know of. I haven't made it out to a SLRA launch lately either. You think the Seniors were mad you should have heard some of the alumni I know who are still miffed about the move from the old campus and that was coming up on 30 years ago!
Condor is the only one from that list I know. I had him for my intro design class, but hope to have again. He’s the head of the aerospace department. Are you an aerospace engineer?

Back