Neil_W's half-baked design thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I should go back and get that one into shape. I was surprised to see that the only up-to-date OR models I have are in the 2-stage configuration... I had never fully convinced myself that I wanted to go that route.

Use the ejection charge to "squirt" the parachute out the "needle?" ;)
Or to simultaneously push the parachute out in a normal way, and to squirt shiny, aluminized mylar glitter out of the needle. (You'd have to keep the flight low for that to be visible.) Rear eject might work best for a simultaneous event, and then it would surely stick the landing.

Or to simultaneously push the parachute out in a normal way, and to squirt shiny, aluminized mylar glitter out of the needle. (You'd have to keep the flight low for that to be visible.) Rear eject might work best for a simultaneous event, and then it would surely stick the landing.
Rear eject actually would be very desirable in a lot of ways for this design, except for one, shall we say, "sticking point"*.... I wouldn't want it coming down needle first.

*I guess the perfect play-on-words does exist.

Here's the thread: https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/anti-virus-build-thread.162645/. His ridiculously impressive build spurred me to make significant improvements to my design.

Thanks, I was looking for it and couldn't find it. What a great build.

I guess I should go back and get that one into shape. I was surprised to see that the only up-to-date OR models I have are in the 2-stage configuration... I had never fully convinced myself that I wanted to go that route.

I think a 2-stage configuration is a great idea, especially if you call it "Booster Shot"!

Rear eject actually would be very desirable in a lot of ways for this design, except for one, shall we say, "sticking point"*.... I wouldn't want it coming down needle first.

*I guess the perfect play-on-words does exist.
I dunno, for a D-F range rocket, I wouldn't worry too much. You could make the needle out of 4mm-6mm carbon fiber tube with a wood nose cone for reasonable structural strength. With a decent size chute, it won't come down fast enough to injure people on the ground, not to mention that it should be landing on the field and not in the crowd.

Even if it broke in the middle, it would still come down needle first and stick the landing.

Back