Let me talk to the cat owners for a minute

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You’re going to get lots of opinions here about cats. I’ve had a few for many years. Mine always ate dry food and never had any urinary tract issues. One lived to 19 years. Dry food helps keep their teeth clean too. Wet food does nothing for teeth health.
Agree 100%. My cats have always had basic store bought dry kibble with the occasional wet food treat, never any health problems and live well above average length lifespans without issues (2 of my 5 cats lived into their early 20s, 2 made it to 18, and our current cat is just past 15 and still going strong). All have died of old age complications, no kidney issues, no cancers. Basic vaccines and getting them fixed is about all we've ever done, aside from flea and tick preventatives.

All of our cats have been indoor/outdoor cats, with them bringing home lots of 'treats' for us(if you know, you know)........including our current cat who was a tiny stray kitten that followed one of our cats home!

My brother has had cats for longer than I have, indoor only, and all of his animals get exclusive diets of wet food, "Best of the best vet recommended care". Constant vet bills for rotten teeth, digestive issues, kidney issues.....his vet bills read like an A-Z textbook of 'what goes wrong with cats and how they die early'. Every.single.cat.he.has.ever.owned. Most have been put down young, and he's never had a cat live to make it's 15th birthday.

Did he get rotten luck? Did I win the lottery? Don't know, but I'll stick to what's worked for me and my cats, regardless of what the vets try to sell me.

Last edited:
My cats are indoor, only. I would suggest to never declaw a cat. They are smart and can learn to scratch where you want, when you want, if you pay attention. It may take a little interaction.

If you have ever had a cat declawed and had to deal with handling it for about two-three weeks after, you will NEVER declaw a cat again.

Our cats have their claws and when the dog was younger, her idea of play and the cats' play were very different. We asked the vet about the dog being a little aggressive and she just suggested to let the cats' claws grow out a little and give the cats their natural defenses. It took a few scratches to the dog's nose, but the problem did work itself out. Now that they're all old, there is no more chasing and they lay around together.

I have two cats, at the moment. Lagertha has all her claws. Big Boi, aka "Booger," was declawed before we adopted him. While he's a sweetheart and gentle, I would never have done it to him myself. He still thinks he has claws, as he tries to sharpen them on the carpet and elsewhere.

Lagertha sharpens her claws on the cat tree and one particular doorframe, which is missing some of its paint after her attention. Mostly, she confines herself to the cat tree.

Declawing is cruel. Don't care how many anecdotal tales are told of supposedly "well-adjusted" cats that have undergone the procedure, it's still cruel.

gizmostool.png

Our cat Gizmo is much adored around these parts. In this photo she's sitting on her bar stool in our kitchen where she watches us cook and eat. There's an annual photo calendar that comes out at Christmas that the kids hang up at work (our kids are in their 20s), and she is a topic of much discussion.

She's a Bombay, which is a distinct breed created from Burmese and American shorthair cats to look like a panther. Every part of her (even her tears, oddly) are black. Bombays are known for being affectionate and clever.

Here's a video of her fetching:
Our Cat Gizmo Fetching

I've owned cats since I was a kid. Everybody has advice, which you can use or ignore.

Here's my advice.

1. Feed them a very high quality dry kibble (nutritious, mostly protein, little/no carbs/filler). Train them from very early on to just eat that, twice a day. Dry kibble keeps well and you can keep plenty on hand. Expensive kibble is still cheaper than a bunch of cans and frozen stuff.

2. Get a robotic kibble feeder that will automatically feed them whether you are home or not. They will learn that that is where food comes from (not people) and they won't steal food from the counter or beg or bother you at dinner. (Some people like pets that beg for food; we do not at all.) You can also travel for days at a time and the cat won't suffer and you won't need a sitter or need to board the cat somewhere (avoid for health reasons). We like this one, but there are many choices.

3. Get a robotic water fountain so that they can drink when they want. Some people will tell you that cats do not drink water. That is not true, though some people feed wet food that helps. We prefer a water fountain to the toilet.

4. (Controversial) Keep your cat indoors. Outdoor cats get into trouble, kill LOTS of stuff, catch diseases, get fleas and worms. Our cat is soft and wonderful and every part of her always smells nice.

5. Brush your cat often. Our cat presents herself twice a day and demands a brushing, so there's never any cat hair around the house. We use one that looks like this:
1717697734124.png
6. We bathe our cat once every few weeks. She doesn't love it, but she tolerates it. I have heard some Bombays actually like water, but though she is fascinated by it and puts up with it, she'd opt out if given the choice. They make cat shampoo. Some of our friends are allergic (to the cat spit it turns out, not the hair), and as long as you have a cat always snuggling up to people I say why not a cherry-smelling cat?

7. Don't bother with expensive/organic/whatever kitty litter. Get the Fabreze-smelling stuff from the grocery store, put it in a litter box tray, stick it in a guest room or somewhere out of the way. We don't have cat odor of any sort in our house.

8. Get a good optician, if needed, and don't settle for a cheap one. (Gizmo just needs glasses for reading, not for distance stuff.)

gizmoglasses.jpg
jk

Last edited:
So I'm thinking about getting a cat and had a couple questions.

I'm definitely adopting; here in Chicago I'm blessed with several reputable agencies and just need to shop between them. I'm wondering about the health check at the beginning, is there any specific thing to consider there? I've heard a blood test for feline cancer is a good idea?

Also... I'm kicking around the idea of a bonded pair. What do you think? Thank you all.
GOOD! Kitties are the best. If you're buying from a shelter I would look for a few things. You want a cat that's been indoor it's whole life, and I think it's best to keep it thay way. If you get a male, they may "mark" if they were not neutered before they hit puberty or are very high testosterone. I hate cat piss and its next to impossible to get the smell out. Females are cool, but from my experience they tend to be more reclusive and timid.

Are you bringing them into a home with dogs, children or other cats?

View attachment 649195

Our cat Gizmo is much adored around these parts. In this photo she's sitting on her bar stool in our kitchen where she watches us cook and eat. There's an annual photo calendar that comes out at Christmas that the kids hang up at work (our kids are in their 20s), and she is a topic of much discussion.
My cats name is Gizmo too! He's a turd but we love him lol he plays fetch as well, especially with kitty treats. He will do it all day if we let him
1000016261.jpg
4. (Controversial) Keep your cat indoors.
I agree 100% I've lost too many cats growing up with inside/outside cats.

Our cats have their claws and when the dog was younger, her idea of play and the cats' play were very different. We asked the vet about the dog being a little aggressive and she just suggested to let the cats' claws grow out a little and give the cats their natural defenses. It took a few scratches to the dog's nose, but the problem did work itself out. Now that they're all old, there is no more chasing and they lay around together.
Same thing applies to toddlers who think it's okay to be overly rough with a cat. They will learn, sooner or later.

I will add to the keeping cats indoors. I’ve lost too many cats to count to traffic, coyotes, dogs and other.
My first all indoor cat rescued me ( it went both ways, I also rescued her. It was a very dark time in my life.
I had heard a cat crying for three nights outside my apartment so on the fourth I went out to see what was going on. I sat down and talked to her a bit, she was a bit stand offish at first and would not get close to me.
On the way home from work I stopped and picked up a sack of kibble then put a small bowl out for her. She wouldn’t come to it while I sat there so I just went inside to let her eat in peace. The next bowl I placed a little way from my door and did the same. I watched and talked to her. The third bowl I placed on my door sill and left the door open. Went about my business and looked over to see an empty bowl. I looked for her and didn’t see her anywhere so I closed the door and got ready for bed. Walked into the bedroom and found her curled up on the foot of the bed sound asleep. I let her spend the night and put her outside the next morning when I went to work. She was waiting for me and came inside with me. I again let her spend the night. The next morning looking to put her outside again she hid under the bed and would not let me get close to her.
I picked up a litter box on the way home. She remained an indoor cat after that. I asked around the apartments and found she belonged to a resident that moved and tossed her out.
When she passed I decided my next cat/s would be indoor only.
Brat, my current male cat got outside one time when the SIL left the door open. He got into the neighbors active smoker and the resulting burns cost $1100 in vet bills.
Picking up a bonded pair, make sure they are indeed bonded. I have Brat and Sistra. (Brother and sister). They tolerate one another but are not particularly fond of each other.

I've had some *great* cats over the last 35 years.

The best advice I can offer on cats, is make sure you find one that loves you. Cats are awesome IF it is truly your friend.

Indeed. My current cat Maggie chose me as much as I chose her. She's been a first in a lot of ways. She was supposed to be 3 years old when I adopted her. She's the first cat I've had that I didn't raise from a kitten. She's the first cat that spends time grooming me. Other cats have licked on me in passing (but I think they were just getting a taste to see if I'm ready to eat yet). She will jump on the bed, pick a spot, then hold me down while she "cleans" me (good thing I'm not allergic to cat spit!).

Toys-

Be careful what you let your cat think is a toy. I made a toy for one of my cats out of a piece of blue tubing and some red wire. He *loved* that thing. He would bat it around, and throw it in the air and chase it. The problem was, he started thinking anything with blue and red wires must be a toy. Red and blue (or black) are two of the most common wire colors in electronics. Ping pong balls make great cat toys. They're fun for one, and even more fun with a group. Best on a hard surface floor.

4. (Controversial) Keep your cat indoors. Outdoor cats get into trouble, kill LOTS of stuff, catch diseases, get fleas and worms. Our cat is soft and wonderful and every part of her always smells nice.
Agreed, at least when possible. We have three indoor cats and two outdoor-only cats. Lynx and Dale get along with each other but they'd fight Boo, Magic, and Smudge if we let them inside.

We've got two indoor cats and a few months ago got a robot litterbox. I don't know if this one is better than any of the others, but it seems to work ok. Cleans itself after every cat 'event'. But we also have another traditional litterbox. I know the rule is: 2 cats, 2 boxes, but I'd really like to get rid of the dumb box. I'm thinking maybe the cats will tolerate that since the robot box is always 'clean'. The problem is that they are still often using the old box. So I'm wondering what would be the best way to wean them off of the old box? I don't see any way other than cold turkey and see what happens. Thoughts?

We've got two indoor cats and a few months ago got a robot litterbox. I don't know if this one is better than any of the others, but it seems to work ok. Cleans itself after every cat 'event'. But we also have another traditional litterbox. I know the rule is: 2 cats, 2 boxes, but I'd really like to get rid of the dumb box. I'm thinking maybe the cats will tolerate that since the robot box is always 'clean'. The problem is that they are still often using the old box. So I'm wondering what would be the best way to wean them off of the old box? I don't see any way other than cold turkey and see what happens. Thoughts?
How big is the Robobox? How big is the regular box?. Personally I would get rid of the Robobox. If it's covered it really should go. Our vet told us that cats don't like a covered box and there should be at a minimum of one box per cat and more is better. We have two boxes that are about 2' x 4' and 4" deep. Three more that are about 18" by 2' and 4" deep. I keep them full almost to the top and clean everyday and freshen about once a week and she told us that wasn't enough for seven cats. All 7 are indoor only. Outside they wouldn't last a week or two. They are all in large cabinets I built that look like furniture and had lids. Now no lids. There was a pack of coyotes just outside our fence a couple of days ago chasing something. I haven't seen a rabbit all year and I hope they weren't after some ones cat. Over the last 5 or 6 years it has gone from rabbits everywhere to none and I don't think it's all coyotes getting them.

Our two cats always shared a litterbox. It was covered. We had a cat door cut into our glass door in the laundry. Outside we had a small dog kennel facing the hole directly and with no gaps for the cats to get out. A regular litter tray sat in the kennel. Cats could go to the toilet but not get out at night.

Litter was cleaned by removing the roof of the kennel.

Last edited:
Had a couple of cat that were siblings and they had no problem with one litter box.
After they passed, I rescued a five year old full Maine Coon (with papers!)
Now use a cement mixing tray from Home Cheapo for her litter box......she's a big girl.

100% indoor - Coyotes, Bobcats, etc. roam the back yard.

How big is the Robobox? How big is the regular box?. Personally I would get rid of the Robobox. If it's covered it really should go. Our vet told us that cats don't like a covered box and there should be at a minimum of one box per cat and more is better. We have two boxes that are about 2' x 4' and 4" deep. Three more that are about 18" by 2' and 4" deep. I keep them full almost to the top and clean everyday and freshen about once a week and she told us that wasn't enough for seven cats. All 7 are indoor only. Outside they wouldn't last a week or two. They are all in large cabinets I built that look like furniture and had lids. Now no lids. There was a pack of coyotes just outside our fence a couple of days ago chasing something. I haven't seen a rabbit all year and I hope they weren't after some ones cat. Over the last 5 or 6 years it has gone from rabbits everywhere to none and I don't think it's all coyotes getting them.
I was told "one box for each cat you have, plus one more box." We don't follow that rule but two boxes seem to work okay for three cats.

Use wood pellets for a pellet stove. They absorbe moisture and smell. When they break down, it turns to saw dust.
We had two cats and one of them for some reason would pee on the expensive furniture and anyway the other one which we have now , Sometimes it decides to poop and never cover it up, which stinks up one part of the house. We've had cats for 45 years. The only thing we know for sure In this life is we will not get another one. Messing with the litter box, and taking the bag of poop out to the dumpster, buying litter and food, and the expensive vet bills. So the decision very is easy for us now that we're elderly.

We won't get anymore cats too. We are afraid the cats we rescued from our back yard will out live us. We have made arrangements with one of our neighbor friends to take our original three cats. They will not be separated. Our estate will pay them $10,000 a year as long as they live. The other 4 I'm having trouble finding someone I trust to take care of them. My wife is 72 and has MS. I'm 68 and have heart issues. We want to get all the arrangements taken care of soonest.

I was told "one box for each cat you have, plus one more box." We don't follow that rule but two boxes seem to work okay for three cats.

Yeah,

We have one in the master bath (If I'm allowed to use that term), one in the master bedroom, one on the back screened porch, and one in my wife's office. Also one in the damaged cats' room.

There's plenty of places for them to take care of business, but when It comes time to clean all that, it does seem to get a little out of hand.

I think having 4+ boxes just makes the times between changes less frequent.

For all the cat lovers in here, if you haven't seen this yet, you owe it to yourself to give it a watch.

You can find the full movie for free on Tubi and Youtube.

Bonded pair/siblings is an excellent idea. They entertain each other and rely less on you for stimulation, which for younger cats is often.

Many shelters test for FIV/leukemia as a matter of course and will charge a fee for their vaccinations, goes with the adoption territory. We recently adopted a brother and sister (2 months old) from a rescued feral litter and it cost $150 for both, which included spay and neuter.

Dry food/wet food seems to be controversial for whatever reason. I've had cats all my life and have fed only dry and dry/wet. I can't say I've noticed a difference in health or longevity, but our vet did tell us that the cheapest/crappiest wet food is better for cats that the best/highest grade dry food. Cats aren't designed for carbs that dry foods are comprised of. Taking that into consideration we decided that our new kittens are going to be fed only wet food. We are going with Viva Raw (chicken) and so far no issues, they eat it readily and it's going on one year now. 'Raw' cat food can be expensive (so are some canned and dry cat foods) but when I delved into the numbers, the Viva chicken is about $0.01 per oz more expensive than the Sheba wet food we were feeding our previous cats.

Water. Water is extremely important for cats. Usually, cats get about 80% of their required water from the food they eat (another argument against dry food). Never deny your cats plenty of fresh drinking water. Our cats, on their raw food diet, rarely drink from their water bowl. I mean, like we never have seen them drink from their bowl. But I'm guessing that have. Other cats we've had previously (fed mainly dry food) drank often from their water bowl.

1 litter box per cat seems to be the consensus, but many cat owners don't abide by this and seem to have no issues.

My stance on declawing cats is; please don't do it. In addition to the physical mutilation of their first joint, their claws play a very important part in their natural behaviors. (this was told to me by a friend and animal behaviorist for the San Diego Zoo).

Most importantly, give them love. Lot's and lots of love. :)

Back