Let me talk to the cat owners for a minute

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvanc

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm thinking about getting a cat and had a couple questions.

I'm definitely adopting; here in Chicago I'm blessed with several reputable agencies and just need to shop between them. I'm wondering about the health check at the beginning, is there any specific thing to consider there? I've heard a blood test for feline cancer is a good idea?

Also... I'm kicking around the idea of a bonded pair. What do you think? Thank you all.

The best advice I can offer on cats, is make sure you find one that loves you. Cats are awesome IF it is truly your friend. Most cats do not have a sense of humor. Protocol is very important, and you just have to accept that they have thier ways.

I have been very lucky to have 3 cats that were absolutely the best friends a human can have. One of them was better than about 90% of the humans I have known.

I hope you find a great one.

After they're neutered, a lot of male cats develop bladder stones...
Surgery, special diets, urinating in places other than the litter box (they associate the litter box with the painful urination and try to avoid it).
Our male has gone through it and so have we... wouldn't think of getting rid of him, but it's a handful at times.

That's Sugar Daddy. He lived to be 13 years old. He passed away the day my youngest daughter was born. I saw him whip to full grown German shepherd dogs thru just shear aggressive boldness, the neighbors dog was a back biter, and he jumped out stopped it from biting me one night. He would walk Trinity to kindergarten with me and walk home.

He was my friend, and I miss him. He has been gone for almost 11 years.

Attachments

• 040713_0958[00].jpg
    040713_0958[00].jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 040713_0959[01].jpg
    040713_0959[01].jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 0
Not specifically answering your question (its TRF, why would you answer the question someone actually asked!?!?!?!) but 2 things I learned that I wish I knew before I did it:

1: If you are even thinking about declawing, please research carefully, watch videos and then just don't do it. I initially thought it was just a simple thing, but now that I know what it does, I will never subject a creature to it again.

2: Automated litterboxes seem like a good idea and they aren't crazy expensive, but the first time it upsets a cat, you're in for a cat that wants to fight the litter box and pee somewhere else. If you keep the box clean (one cat, probably once a day normally, multiple cats, be prepared for multiple boxes and possibly multiple cleanings per day). Thinking a $200 loud automated scrape-o-matic 5000 will make the litter cleaning go away is basically like one of those commercials you see on late-night TV that will solve all your problems for $19.95 - but wait, if you act now. . . - no, don't act now and make sure they have a good size litter box that you keep very clean.

The idea of a bonded pair is interesting, but I've never had that opportunity, as I only adopt from shelters and they didn't have family when I adopted. A cat can absolutely bond to another cat years later, but I agree that bonding to you initially is a recipe for success, not required, but it makes the job easier. Sometimes they come around and like you too, but not 100% of the time for sure.

Best of luck and if you want 1 or more cats, go for it. They have made my life better for sure. Just takes a bit of effort at times.

You’re going to get lots of opinions here about cats. I’ve had a few for many years. Mine always ate dry food and never had any urinary tract issues. One lived to 19 years. Dry food helps keep their teeth clean too. Wet food does nothing for teeth health. They have their own personalities and as someone earlier said, you are serviant to them. They are great little companion pets but hate car rides. I wouldn’t even think of declawing. Just get a good scratching post.

Attachments

• IMG_8156.jpeg
    IMG_8156.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8151.jpeg
    IMG_8151.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Bonded pair/sibling if available I would suggest.

A quick word on cat language. If you look at the cat directly it is considered a threat. If you look at the cat directly and blink your eyes slowly you are saying to it "I am your friend and I won't hurt you". Quite often they will slow blink back at you.

You can train them for various things. One thing I did was to train our cat to rub noses with whoever was near him when I said "kiss kiss".

Don't declaw, just learn how to trim claws, which can be done every couple of weeks or so.

I would suggest vaccination against FIV. It is certainly recommended here, so I suspect USA is similar. Once a year injection.
https://www.vet.cornell.edu/departm...alth-topics/feline-immunodeficiency-virus-fiv

Don't declaw, just learn how to trim claws, which can be done every couple of weeks or so.
They will still rip up your furniture. We have two strays we adopted, one was already declawed. The other we declawed (front), as it is that or the shelter. They are not let outside (would not let them outside even if they had claws, as we have bobcats, foxes, and mountain lions around). It does remove the distal part of the digit, but claws are usually retracted so it is not like removing a human’s finger tip. I realize I am in the minority on this.

Last edited:
They will still rip up your furniture. We have two strays we adopted, one was already declawed. The other we declawed (front), as it is that or the shelter. They are not let outside (would not let them outside even if they had claws, as we have bobcats, foxes, and mountain lions around). It does remove the distal part of the digit, but claws are usually retracted so it is not like removing a human’s finger tip. I realize I am in the minority on this.
You're not only in the minority, but with respect, you're wrong.

From the Humane Society:

"Declawing is the amputation of the last bone of each toe on a cat’s paw. It would be like cutting off your finger at the last knuckle. The standard method of declawing is amputating with a scalpel or guillotine clipper. The wounds are closed with stitches or surgical glue, and the feet are bandaged. Another method is laser surgery, in which a small, intense beam of light cuts through tissue by heating and vaporizing it. Both can cause lasting physical and behavioral problems for your cat. Declawing significantly increases the odds of back pain, litter box aversion and biting." https://www.humanesociety.org/resources/why-declawing-bad-your-cat

Retracted claws...
Cat Claws.jpg

I have always been amazed at thier claws. Nature's perfect killing machines. I am not knocking anyone for declaring. I agree it handicaps them, and I expect it is painful, because of a terrible crushing injury on the fingers tips of both of my hands that hurts 26 years later.
I have never been able to keep a cat indoor only though. I know life is harder and more dangerous for a outside/inside cat. I have lost several to coyotes, and my most recent loss was Pickle who from the deer tracks stomped into the ground and way his chest was crushed looks like he tried to stalk a deer, and the deer was frightened and killed him. He was overly brave.

The advice on the slow blink is absolutely correct. That means we are cool.

My wife is the president of the board of directors for a local cat shelter. Every cat that enters the shelter is combo tested for feline leukemia and FIV. I would assume that this standard for many shelters, but you should ask.

I think in at least some cases a cat won't claw furniture if you give them something more fun to claw. My wife, when she had a cat, would glue strips of corrugated cardboard together with the corrugated edges on the outside, apply eau de catnip, and hang that on the wall. The furniture didn't get clawed, but the floor below that cardboard always had cardboard bits on it.

It would be like cutting off your finger at the last knuckle.
Except that would greatly impair the use of my hands. I have numerous cats over the years and they have no long term issues with being declawed, and they get a home. Why is it OK to cut their balls off? Or some dogs ears cropped or tails docked?

Last edited:
Except that would greatly impair the use of my hands. I have numerous cats over the years and they have no long term issues with being declawed, and they get a home. Why is it OK to cut their balls off? Or some dogs ears cropped or tails get docked?
I don't think it is OK.

I have never found that to be a problem. Our cats would swipe during play but without claws being out.
It depends on the cat. Boo keeps his claws in; Magic may have them out if she gets really excited. With Smudge it's a constant problem. It's gotten somewhat better over the last year or so but I still end up with the occasional scratch. (And being on anticoagulant means a bandaid, as I'll bleed all over the place)

We have 7 cats. The first one someone dropped over our fence. He was already declawed. That was years ago and he limps. We would never consider declawing. We have 5 litter boxes. 2 are 3'x2'. The others are just a little smaller. Our Vet told us we need 7 boxes at least and more would be better. I clean them every day. After the first cat we went to a shelter and got a brother and sister. The had been in a cage for 6 months. Terrible. Then a feral cat brought us a litter. They are two boys and two girls. They are almost always together. Everyone generally gets along. I agree with the above posts about getting a pair. Another thing. You have to give them toys. Something to play with. We have three cat trees and our living room is full of cat toys and cardboard boxes. You must have boxes for them to play with. And be ready for cat hair to clean up.

1. Cats are awesome.

2. Cleaning the litter box sucks.

3. Dogs have owners, Cats have staff.

4. If it can be moved, knocked over, played with, or otherwise investigated.. it will be.

A sibling pair is what my wife and I suggest. We have had two different sibling pairs. As a pair, they have each other for comfort, play, etc. Our preference is for males, although we had one very loving female cat that was in one of the bonded pairs.

After getting them fixed, males will not spray to mark territory and are usually pretty mellow.

Please do not declaw them… that’s like cutting off the last joint of your fingers just to trim your nails.

A sibling pair is what my wife and I suggest. We have had two different sibling pairs. As a pair, they have each other for comfort, play, etc. Our preference is for males. After getting them fixed they will not spray to mark territory and are usually pretty mellow.
Please do not declaw them… that’s like cutting off the last joint of your fingers.

Back