• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Found Green Monkey Aerospace 13mm hardware

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrewW

Rocket Surgeon
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
A friend just told me these used to exist and I was wondering if anyone had some hardware put away they wouldn’t mind parting ways with.

I’ve no idea what makes a complete set, what all is there for 13mm hardware?
20220911_115508.jpg

- 3 cases with casting tubes and liners (2 grain, 3 grain and 4 grain)
- 2 forward closures, 1 plugged and 1 delay
- Styrene stock (I forget it's purpose, narrower than the ID of the casting tubes)
- 3 graphite nozzles, need to be drilled out to desired opening (.090 and .093 were recommended)
- O-rings for both nozzles and closures
- 5 internal snaprings(2 installed in the mid case and 3 loose)I have some knipex snapring pliers too I can include if wanted
- nozzle washer (unknown metal)

Last edited:
View attachment 537198

- 3 cases with casting tubes and liners (2 grain, 3 grain and 4 grain)
- 2 aft closures, 1 plugged and 1 delay
- Styrene stock (I forget it's purpose, narrower than the ID of the casting tubes)
- 3 graphite nozzles, need to be drilled out to desired opening (.090 and .093 were recommended)
- O-rings for both nozzles and closures
- 5 internal snaprings(2 installed in the mid case and 3 loose)I have some knipex snapring pliers too I can include if wanted
- nozzle washer (unknown metal)

That's cool! I missed those, when were they made?

As I recall, One needs to be careful not to use "too hot" of a propellant with the smaller motors. I had a 24mm long necked Research motor (about 11 inch) motor that popped up into the air and the motor overpressurized and blew out the side of the rocket. The electronics blew the chutes and recovered everything but the rocket and motor mount was toast.
It was a custom 24mm that our Prefect turned on his lathe and used snap rings, aluminum forward closure and a graphite nozzle. Mind you, the casing was much longer than what Aerotech uses and was Burnsim calculated to be in the baby "H" range for what it's worth.
Ummmm, I had the prefect cut the remains of the damaged case shorter and had one successful flight. Was probably in the high "G" range in a similar twin of the first rocket. I think I used less aggressive propellant. Flew quite high and had a nominal recovery. (The tracker helped.)
Problem is the motor case was hot as hell when I popped it out (always try to do that if I can) and decided to give up on long necked 24mm motors.
If doing 18mm motors in reusable cases, I'd say use as less an aggressive APCP propellant that is out there, simulate like crazy and use a slightly wider nozzle throat as suggested by Burnsim for 2 or 3 ground tests.
ie. dig hole in ground, put motor in nozzle up and fire it from a far distance away. When I designed a wireless firing system, that made it a whole lot easier as I could stand "way" far away for safety's sake.
Oh make sure one uses the erosive phenolic nozzles available. Trust me, graphite is much more "unforgiving".
I had to open an AT J350 nozzle up to accommodate an H/I Research motor in 29 mm. Even with the sim, which at the time didn't allow for nozzle erosion, it was a best guess and worked out fine. Flew rockets with it nominally.
Bad thing is each mix is different and have to do some testing as the consistency between chems is not "exactly" the same. Don't test each batch of Research propellant and one risks an anomaly on launch. Kurt

Here's my set of four 18 mm casings; I think it's the last set Neil sold. Lengths: 2.75", 3.75" 5.75", 7.75". Estimated impulse levels: full C, full D, full E, and mid- or full F. Two plugged forward closures, one closure with ejection well. One graphite nozzle (tiny throat, drill to desired size), three Aerotech phenolic nozzles.

The fellow that made the 13 mm casing on the upper left may recognize it :) . Threaded closures and phenolic nozzles. My understanding is that these were CNC machined in quantity(?).

GMA_set.jpg

It looks like the OP found a set. I'm also interested in a set if anyone has another one they would like to part with. 18mm or 13mm, I have uses for either.

Really curious when he started offering that extra long case. Wasn't an option when I got mine.

I tried several times to make grains and the 13mm was just too small. Porable ended up everywhere and packable ended up too tedious.

Updated.. I already got (2) people interested, call it sold

I HAVE A 13MM SET...

What you see is what I have in the 'kit' Never fired.

Will sell or swap

Mike K

1719357573511.jpeg

Last edited:
I just noticed a difference between the set that I had (now sold) and the set the Professor has/had. My set used an external spiral ring as a thrust ring and his looks to have a machined step with no external spiral ring.

@prfesser is that true?

I just noticed a difference between the set that I had (now sold) and the set the Professor has/had. My set used an external spiral ring as a thrust ring and his looks to have a machined step with no external spiral ring.

@prfesser is that true?
Yes, but only for the longest one (baby F or full E). I don't know if the machined step version was earlier or later.

Back