Estes D12 Recall

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Usually they just blow out the ends. For a case explosion, maybe use a fin can that splits in two or more parts lengthwise.
I had an E12 blow a hole in the side of a Star Orbiter, but not because the case split. The screw-on retainer was just too good. The blast had to go somewhere. That is why I recommend friction fit, to let the motor eject out the back.

I've had and seen a few CATO's from E12's and D12's. Sometimes there is little or no damage when the flaming balls of propellant go up and down. But I've had a few that were a little more "explosive" in nature. Had a Big Daddy get returned in about 40 little pieces. The only thing left to salvage was the retainer cap. The same day (January of this year) was another one nearly as spectacular, but I managed to get it on video. I've posted it before in other threads, so some of you have seen it. But it's pretty "good", and since the rocket was completely destroyed, this is the only way that I can squeeze a bit more entertainment value from it. A shame, because it did fly really well earlier in the day.

Oh, and BTW, it's a Christmas Tree rocket.

I think you are going to make shrapnel, rather than being cato proof. I saw an e engine det about 20 feet away, and It was bigger than the big m-80s I made, before I knew how illegal that was. 70's, but still illegal.

I don't have that many D12s, but 100% of them are from those date codes. Does anyone know what the concern is? Just curious, because I also have a pack of C11-3s with the same date code........

I don't have that many D12s, but 100% of them are from those date codes. Does anyone know what the concern is? Just curious, because I also have a pack of C11-3s with the same date code........
Estes has determined that with those specific lots listed, "There is a potential manufacturing issue for D12-3 and D12-5 engines".

See post #33 for an example of what can happen (possibly normal use worse case where the rocket is severely damaged or destroyed). Odds are that it won't happen or a minor issue will occur, but usually it's not worth the risk.

This should not affect C11 motors since, while they may have been made on the same date/have the same date code, they may have been made on a different machine or without the "defect".

This was my 2nd cato , 2nd flight from the replacement motors...rsbhunter

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240626_065144_Yahoo Mail.jpg
    Screenshot_20240626_065144_Yahoo Mail.jpg
    566.5 KB · Views: 2
I've had and seen a few CATO's from E12's and D12's. Sometimes there is little or no damage when the flaming balls of propellant go up and down. But I've had a few that were a little more "explosive" in nature. Had a Big Daddy get returned in about 40 little pieces. The only thing left to salvage was the retainer cap. The same day (January of this year) was another one nearly as spectacular, but I managed to get it on video. I've posted it before in other threads, so some of you have seen it. But it's pretty "good", and since the rocket was completely destroyed, this is the only way that I can squeeze a bit more entertainment value from it. A shame, because it did fly really well earlier in the day.

Oh, and BTW, it's a Christmas Tree rocket.

In the slo-mo video... it sounds like it's dying. R.I.P. Little Christmas Tree Rocket... another untimely death due to Estes and their roulette motors.​
:christmastree:

I have a total of seventeen D12 motors with bad date codes. The hard part is taking all the photos of the motors and making sure the date code is in focus. After I submitted the online form. I received a confirmation email from Estes that included a case number.

I had a D12 nozzle blow out in March. Estes replaced the pack and sent me a BT80 to repair my Executioner. Before Estes retooled their large BP motor line, I had a 50% CATO rate with the E12-4's. Since then, no problems.

Appreciate the heads up...had a Hi flier XL that cato'ed on this engine and code....destroyed the motor mount. Estes was great, sent new rocket and engines. Built second rocket, on second flight, WITH the replacement engines, cato !!! Sent pic's, details, weather, etc.....crickets.....heard NOTHING !!!!. Just filled out the recall form with the pics, data, etc....time will tell....rsbhunter
https://help.estesrockets.com/hc/en-us

Might take many months for us to receive our new D12s.

Inventoried my D12s (among others) and found that all 6 D12-3s - which came from Estes themselves in the Star Orbiter deal in December of '22 - and 14 of 30 D12-5s were subject to the recall. Filled out the form.

Went ahead and recorded all of my Estes motors by lot so I don't have to take the trouble in the event of a future recall.

Thanks for the info. I, too, submitted earlier this week and thought it odd that I didn't get any reply on the page or email. Based on comments above, I resubmitted today and got a confirmation. I had bought two D12-5 bulk packs directly from Estes and both contained the suspect lot numbers.

I have eight motors from the noted batches, and I have also flown three of them in the last couple of months with no issues (I try to note the motor date codes in my flight log). I'll be submitting info on the form today.

Fortunately I have a reasonable supply of D12s with other date codes so if we do have to wait for four months for replacements, I'll be OK.

I'm pretty sure all of these motors I have came from Hobby Lobby (one pair of D12-3s is still in the package with an HL price tag on it).

The form says to upload a photo. I have 6 unopened packs, they would be simple enough to photograph as a group. But if they want evidence of date codes, I'll have to photo each separately, as many only show the date code when viewed from the side.

What are the rest of you doing for a photo?

Thanks,
Hans.

The form says to upload a photo. I have 6 unopened packs, they would be simple enough to photograph as a group. But if they want evidence of date codes, I'll have to photo each separately, as many only show the date code when viewed from the side.

What are the rest of you doing for a photo?

Thanks,
Hans.

I have not done it yet, but I would set all the one on their side next to each other facing up to get the photo.
I will probably get to inventorying my D and larger BP motors Sunday.

Back