Do you lube your rod?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First and farmost, no matter what your rod is made of, graphite powder will lube the rod, won't prevent rust, but won't let engine biproducts stick either. I never go less than 320 grit when cleaning, but thats me.
On the other side of things. His and hers KY seams to be a great new experience for what it's worth, why not a try? Not that I'm experienced myself, but the commercials have got it down. :handshake:

to prevent rust...hmm? the motor thrust may get rid of the lube on a small area.

don't use anything that ignites easily :p

as for lubircation i'd suggest silicone spray. it dries into a very fine film but it's very very smooth :)

so i only do the lpr, and recently earned my BAR wings.

With that I had to clean up some old equipment to fly - 20yrs in a basement do not a smooth launch rod make.

For the blast plate i used WD-40 just do to the fact that it basically will lift rust and then i wet sanded with it using steel wool. let is dry did a bit more - nice and clean. for the launch rod i have both an the 3/16 and 1/8". Just steel wool and about 5 minutes and it is smooth as glass.... however i think i need to replace the 1/8" rod it is bowed in the middle and i just can't seem to straighten it...

so I would go with just 000 or 0000 steel wool to clean after each launch day.

After reading this entire post, I was surprised to see that nobody suggested KY. :D

Seriously though, I wonder if a glycerine based lubricant would be effective if thoroughly wiped off prior to launch. My first thought was gun oil. Personally, I haven't come far enough in rocketry to sweat things like friction or lugs affecting my rockets. I'd rather the dang things stay slower and lower to the ground so I can find them! :smile:

But let's face it men, if your rod is getting that rusty, then you need to be using it more! :D

You can get 1/8 stainless steel rod at Home Despot for a buck a foot or so. (3/8 and 1/4 not a lot more expensive). If I had an old launch rod all bent and twisty, I'd just pitch it.

JStarStar, I doubt the Teflon wax lube I suggested would bind; further, those advocating car wax have apparently actually used it... which would indicate that it didn't bind for them, else they would not have suggested it.

Ford Prefect said:
I use sandpaper to get the rust off (progressing from 220-800) the I use a good car wax (meguiars) and wax them. After the launch I'll use mequiars Quick Detail (a spray cleaner wax) and I haven't ever had them rust.

Cj

What are you talking about you always show up after we setup! Buahhhh

Steel wool scouring. Then Vaseline. Lip balm is convenient for the purpose and only slightly less effective.

I do this always - or I regret it.

-Larry (Of course, when I do it, others regret it) C.

Latest posts

Back