Anyone have any random nerdy facts?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahh that makes sense, we have a trump store on Main Street (yup it’s the south after all) and I figured that it was similar with others except online, I guess his supporters are just willing to pay that much.

Supporters on both sides are willing to pay that much. If not, the candidate wouldn't be on the ballot.

True we’re just in a conservative area, but I just wonder how a store could make profit, maybe it doesn’t.
There's a lot of really weird stuff in political campaigns. Some "fundraising" things don't need to turn a profit if they fire up your supporters, and especially if they get your supporters on your email/text list to hit them up for future donations. Some stuff is "given away as a thank you gift for a donation" rather than sold, I assume because a thank you gift doesn't require sales tax but a sale does. Regardless, money changes hands. In your specific example, I think that Trump has really changed how a campaign can be monetized. There's a lot of political scientists wondering now whether that's because Trump is sui generis or if that's how campaigns are going to be in the future.

A far-more-radical friend than me was really surprised when I said that [one of the more annoying-to-the-general-public actions they took] wasn't going to change anyone's mind, including political leaders, but that didn't mean it didn't have value to the organization.

The fastest manmade object is rumored to be a man hole cover launched during Operation Plumbob...

The fastest man (with no assistance from any power source other than gravity) is Felix Baumgartner, who broke the speed of sound by jumping out of a balloon at 128K feet.

Veronica Cartwright, the actress who played Lambert in ALIEN was a child actor and appeared in Leave It To Beaver as two of "The Beav's" classmates (Violet Rutherford, and Peggy MacIntosh).

1718646109247.png 1718646137264.png

Have I got a story for you, there was a local election a while back for mayor, well it started with them both doing normal things but then the lady running against the mayor realized that she was losing and so she got a massive donation from the lady who ran a BBQ place to go and buy a massive number of campaign supplies. She asked everyone within a mile of town center to put up a sign and vote for her, then the mayor made his own signs and just put them up for sale online and put up 3 at town center. He win by a landslide.

Candidates really can't put signs on Government property, well at least not in Ohio. They can't talk about it to employees that work for them either.

Like the Clerk Of courts can't be talking to the court employees about her campaign, have signs, or ask them to vote for her.

Candidates really can't put signs on Government property, well at least not in Ohio. They can't talk about it to employees that work for them either.

Like the Clerk Of courts can't be talking to the court employees about her campaign, have signs, or ask them to vote for her.
I know that last part, I’m not sure if that part about property is a thing in VA.

Angry He Man GIF

CHIIIIINNNAAAAAAA!!!!!

Nice thing about here is the people on the roadside selling honey, apple butter, and jelly. Tennessee Rocks. Random Fact; my grandmother had two apple trees from Johnny Appleseed. Bought them in the 30's. They had the sourest green apples, but they made the best pies...
:)

The greatest temperature RISE in history was town of Loma from -54°F at 9 am on January 14, 1972, to 49°F by 8 am on January 15th. The 103°F (57.2°C) rise is the greatest change in temperature ever officially measured on earth within a 24-hour period.

The fastest temperature DROP November 9, 1911, a blast of arctic air invaded the northern plains, sending the temperature at Rapid City, South Dakota, from 55°F at 6 am to 3° by 8 am.

The world record for the sharpest drop in temperature as well as the sharpest increase. Browning, MT, saw its temperature drop 100°F, from 44°F to -56°F, in less than 24 hours as a result of a cold front passage on January 23-24, 1916. Fairfield, MT, saw an 84° drop (from 63°F to -21°F) in just 12 hours on December 24, 1924. This is generally credited as the record for any 12-hour period.

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/extreme-short-duration-temperature-changes-us

Mawsynram receives the highest rainfall in India. It is reportedly the wettest place on Earth, with an average annual rainfall of 11,872 millimetres (467.4 in). According to the Guinness Book of World Records, Mawsynram received 26,000 millimetres (1,000 in) of rainfall in 1985.

Mt. Waialeale, Kauai, Hawaii, according to NOAA-NCDC data, this is the wettest place in the US, receiving around 460 inches of rain annually. This makes it one of the rainiest places on Earth.

The greatest temperature RISE in history was town of Loma from -54°F at 9 am on January 14, 1972, to 49°F by 8 am on January 15th. The 103°F (57.2°C) rise is the greatest change in temperature ever officially measured on earth within a 24-hour period.

The fastest temperature DROP November 9, 1911, a blast of arctic air invaded the northern plains, sending the temperature at Rapid City, South Dakota, from 55°F at 6 am to 3° by 8 am.

The world record for the sharpest drop in temperature as well as the sharpest increase. Browning, MT, saw its temperature drop 100°F, from 44°F to -56°F, in less than 24 hours as a result of a cold front passage on January 23-24, 1916. Fairfield, MT, saw an 84° drop (from 63°F to -21°F) in just 12 hours on December 24, 1924. This is generally credited as the record for any 12-hour period.

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/extreme-short-duration-temperature-changes-us

Mawsynram receives the highest rainfall in India. It is reportedly the wettest place on Earth, with an average annual rainfall of 11,872 millimetres (467.4 in). According to the Guinness Book of World Records, Mawsynram received 26,000 millimetres (1,000 in) of rainfall in 1985.

Mt. Waialeale, Kauai, Hawaii, according to NOAA-NCDC data, this is the wettest place in the US, receiving around 460 inches of rain annually. This makes it one of the rainiest places on Earth.
My family went up to my grandparents cabin last Christmas. The day before we got there it was twenty below, and in other parts of Montana it was -50. It was in the 40s and 50s while we were there. very fast weather change!

Veronica Cartwright, the actress who played Lambert in ALIEN was a child actor and appeared in Leave It To Beaver as two of "The Beav's" classmates (Violet Rutherford, and Peggy MacIntosh).
Has it already been mentioned that her younger sister Angela Cartwright was in the old tv series "Lost in Space"? What I didn't know was they were both born in England.

Actress Hedy Lamarr, whose husband was an arms dealer, invented frequency hopping spread-spectrum communications for use in torpedos in the late 1930s.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedy_Lamarr
I have read that before. What boggles my little mind is how that was brought about given the technological level of the parts/components available at the time.

Hans.

I have read that before. What boggles my little mind is how that was brought about given the technological level of the parts/components available at the time.

Hans.
It's not fundamentally harder with tubes than with ICs. What's hard is getting it small enough to be useful is a mobile item like a torpedo. Engineers during the war designed tubes the size of flashlight bulbs for various applications.

Back