• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of multi-channel sound.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive The Rocketry Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

29mm Optima Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, finally everything arrived and i can start the build :) The first thing i checked was if the Nose Cone fits in the main tube... and i was "shocked" because it doesn't :S i bought the 2,56" dia. tube and an BT-80 Nose Cone. What can i do now? Can you help me? My first thread starts soon :)!

The bt-80 is a thin wall tube. The blue tube is quite thick. I used an LOC nose cone. I ordered it from Apogee, who list it under mid/high power nosecones.

Hey, no you didn't understood me... i use blue tube too ofc. and i bought the nose cone from apogee
PNC-66A
(BT-80 Size)

but it doesn't fit :( do i need to buy the
PNC-56A
(BT-70 Size)

one? oh and my CR i need to drag them abit but that's not problem.

as for the CR's you want them a little tight but not too much. I had to sand the inside and outside of mine to get them to fit right.

First sand and epoxy them to the motor tube. Let it harden, then sand the outside until you can slide the whole motor mount into the body smoothly. Practice it without epoxy first, once it goes in smooth, then do it.

It helps to lightly sand the outside of the motor tube, and inside of the main body tube.

Well, finally got around to putting fatty on a scale. It's it's short, single deploy form it clocks in at 40 ounces. That's before filling the spirals, fillets, primer, paint, and motor.

RockSim puts it at about 950 feet on a G78-7G. F motors look to go between 200 and 500 feet.

Last edited:
I made a long post about chutes. It seems to have not made it here. Odd

Long story short, the 18 inch isn't gonna do it. Ordered a rocketman 3 footer.

The parachute looks heavy duty.. why do you need something so robust? I would imagine between all that hardware and chute/cord you are adding major weight?

The parachute looks heavy duty.. why do you need something so robust? I would imagine between all that hardware and chute/cord you are adding major weight?

Yeah, I think the chute might be a little large too, but I like small chutes so...:2:

The weight of the rocket itself is substantial. The tube is heavy, and the ttw fins and epoxy adds weight The recovery system is stronger than it needs to be. But it's something I don't want to fail. I may use a single quicklink on the Kevlar but that's the only change planned. I had planned an 18 inch chute, but it would give a rate of decent around 25 fps. I like them to come in close and fast, but that's a bit quick. The larger should give about 17 fps.

Thanks guys. I know I've been dragging it out here at the end. Just been making the last few decisions. Hopefully the weather holds and I can get some paint on soon.

Hey diz, nice work you're doing! Looks awesome! I bought the Nose Cone you told me the 9.00/2.62... and it doesn't fit again, it's like same as the tube :( that kind of sucks... well i have to reorder a smaller nose cone that fits... my 3trh one. I'll start this weekend with the build... even tho the nose cone is missing.

Hey diz, nice work you're doing! Looks awesome! I bought the Nose Cone you told me the 9.00/2.62... and it doesn't fit again, it's like same as the tube :( that kind of sucks... well i have to reorder a smaller nose cone that fits... my 3trh one. I'll start this weekend with the build... even tho the nose cone is missing.

Mine did take a bit of sanding to get in. If you can, take some photos next to a ruler of both the tube and the nose cone. If you have the 2.56" bluetube, that LOC nosecone should fit after sanding.

Last edited:
Ok problem solved... apogee sended me the wrong tube... They sended me the couplers in full lenght but not the tube... Now they replace me everything very kind of them! well i will have to wait again :)

Thanks anyway

Last edited:
That would do it. Hopefully the the tube gets there soon and you can start building.

As for mine, after some disagreement with the first attempt to apply Testors One Coat Lacquer, the multicolor laying of primer was showing through. I sanded it back down, and put a nice even coat of white rustoluem primer on the whole thing. Then I very very lightly sanded everyting smooth with a 3M 320 grit sponge.

Plan is to finish up as soon as I get a good day. Weatherman says rain all week. I may have to build an impromptu paint booth in the garage.

Last edited:
Very nice, for the primer have you ever tried Kilz it really thick and fills spiral in one coat. I'm not sure how it will work with testors paint but I have used other giving a few days for the primer to fully cure.

Hey Diz, i finally started my work, already sanded the CR but i sanded a bit to much hopefully that won't be a problem. My Fins are a bit thinner than your's (They are approximately 0.15 Inch thick) but still pretty robust. Today i'm going to cut the holes in my main tube for the fins. I'm a bit concerned about my CR. It's harder than i thought :D

I love it! I lost mine long ago and thinking about building one from scratch.

Great photos. They really illustrate what I said ...the Optima/Shadow is one of the best-looking designs from Estes.

BTW ... the last photo shows something I learned with my Shadow. In a field covered with grass, it would always seek out the hardest surface to land on - especially when I flew it on a D12 and it barely had time for the 'chute to open.

-- Roger

Last edited:
Back