1/7th scale Project 463 scratch build.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you need any help with the decals let me know. As a graphic designer I have all of the editing programs we would need.

Here is the booster transition. Where did it come from? Well I'm glad you asked. After deciding I really wasn't in the mood to create the transition like I did the boat tail I started brainstorming as to what pre-made objects could work. Any guesses?

Transition 1.jpg

Well, if you said "a funnel," you are just as much of a genius as I am. I found this guy while strolling through my local Sears and it just happens to be the perfect size and taper.

Funnel.jpg

Now I need a little help from Chuck. I need to figure out exactly how the flat sections on the "ribbed" red area align with the tubes below it and the fins before I glue everything in place. It looks like one of the flat areas gets centered between two fins with a tube centered below it. Maybe I will fire up the VCR and study the video again...

Greeting Minions, I can not control the weather (we had a tropical storm) or the fact that my computer at the shop has decided to misbehave. I' ll get the info you seek up this weekend ( and hopefully some pictures of how to unroll two foot long stickers that have been rolled up for twenty years)... I hope.

Alright, let's see if I can clarify. I believe the question is about the interstage. The panels and the openings are the same size. When I had to increase the upper fin size, I had to fill the full length of the root line. I was not going to hide the that ironwork.
463dr1.jpg

Hi Chuck. I should have clarified. I am speaking about the ribbed upper portion of the booster right below the red transition. That ribbed area has two flat raised rectangular areas spaced at what appears to be about 45 degrees from one another between all those 2x2's.

From what I see in the video, the raised flat directly opposite the launch tower is centered between the two fins below it. When the rocket is laying flat in your shop it would be at the top. The second raised flat area appears to be not quite centered between the fins below it, possibly by a few degrees.

Make sense? If not I'll highlight some photos. Thanks!

Last edited:
Here, see this photo I took of the video paused on my VCR. See the raised flat on the ribbed area of the booster? It does not appear to be centered between the fins to its right, but rather offset lower (with the rocket horizontal). The flat area on top does appear centered (can just see it).

image.jpg

Thanks for the clarification. All of my photos are at the shop, I'll look into it tomorrow.

Here's some pictures to study.463a.jpg463b.jpg463c.jpg463d.jpg463e.jpg
That panel in question appears to be directly up which means it is evenly timed between the fins (white on top, teal on bottom).

I have made nose cones the same way. I used panty hose instead of cloth or mat. I thought of useing tissue like they used to do on the old r/c planes. But, I think panty hose worked the best.

Thanks Chuck, those pictures are just what I needed and confirm that what I have built so far is correct. Just need to do some fin fillets and a couple more details and she will be ready to prime.

Here's a picture of the advert stickers... I had a second set made back in the day. The Sackett Machine sticker is Cream and Brown.project463sticker.jpg

The actual size was 24' x24", so that's 6" x 6".

Here is some Photoshop magic. I have recreated the decal which should now be easy to print on water slide decal paper.

Sponsor decal.jpg

Wow, very nice. I've got to get on the paint program to work up the letters/numbers, access hatches, and other fine details. The chrome and checkerboard are done from Monokote trim sheets. I'll cut the main stock for you, (I have a tool to cut the stuff into long straight pinstripes, using a lathe) and here's how you get the checks to match the fins. I now refer you to a page from Fat Cat Rockets Centaurus: Centaurus sticker page.jpg

Oops, The page basically says to cut into pieces and hold in place with double stick tape, paint.

I haven't touched my 463 in a while due to other goings on, but decided I need to get back to it.

For one I realized that my booster fins were not the right shape. Luckily for me my fins were oversized so I was able to Dremel them a steeper leading edge and trim about 3/4" from the tips. Scale.

I also decided to better duplicate the lower portion of the sustainer. I cut away a little less than half of the fin can and used a coupler to step down the area as per the real deal. Now I need to fill in the missing slivers of fins and cut out the areas that show off the interstage cage.

Chuck, would you happen to have images of the cut outs? I re-watched Monster Rockets and it is clear that at least one of the cut outs between the fins was offset to one side and not centered.

image.jpg

Greetings Minions...life gets in the way again! I've got a couple of pics, but I'll probably have to do drawings. I finally got a camera then whamo!, my scanner at the shop crapped out. If you've ever wondered what happens if an ink cartridge springs a leak, I can tell you...the innards of the printer starts to smoke and smell of burnt wires.
Remember, the upper fins ended up being bolted to the hand holds, thus putting them about 1-1/8" off center. More info this weekend... if nothing else happens.

You ever have something staring you straight in the face and you don't notice...well duh!. Here's the interstage solution. I marked off the part where the cover plates were and shot a couple of pictures (this thing has been in my work area for a couple of months now). I was wrong about the size of the openings...They are 6" full size, so the scale openings are 1" wide. inter1.jpginter2.jpg
These go left then right then repeat... hope this helps.

Thanks Chuck, that helps me a lot. Haven't touched my 463 in a week as I have been busy with side work. Hoping to get it all ready for priming soon.

Greeting Minions....yeah, I know. As with all great projects, there is a period that things happen to cause your task to stall. I'm just dropping in to point out that this month is the twentieth annivesary of Project 463. Twenty years since I made a BIG impression (literally) out in the Black Rock dessert. Amazing how this time thing works. Now back to your regular thread.

20 years...wow! I'm still here and I still plan on finishing my tribute (I can't believe how long it's been since I touched it). I think I'll get back to work on it tonight.

Been a while, buying a house, etc.

I was watching one of the launch videos and noticed that one of the yellow upper tubes appears to be black. Is that how it was?

Greetings folks, this is intended for those who remember me and my wife Monique (I am Chuck Sackett). I left the hobby several years back to focus home life and looking ahead for our retirement. Things were changing. Monique left the family business to work at a bank and my folks finally decided to sell the machine shop. Now for the main reason for this post. On December 21, 2022, we were advised that Monique had a very rare and aggressive form of cancer. Four weeks later, she was gone. She was 58. She was a great supporter of my hobby but more important she was my best friend for40 years. When we dated back in the eighties, she told me that she would not live to be an old woman. In Hospice, she finally told me that it was a premonition she had when she was ten. I miss her with the power of a thousand burning suns. I know this is not to the subject listed, but I’d like to think I’m allowed a pass on this one.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0994.jpeg
    IMG_0994.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Greetings folks, this is intended for those who remember me and my wife Monique (I am Chuck Sackett). I left the hobby several years back to focus home life and looking ahead for our retirement. Things were changing. Monique left the family business to work at a bank and my folks finally decided to sell the machine shop. Now for the main reason for this post. On December 21, 2022, we were advised that Monique had a very rare and aggressive form of cancer. Four weeks later, she was gone. She was 58. She was a great supporter of my hobby but more important she was my best friend for40 years. When we dated back in the eighties, she told me that she would not live to be an old woman. In Hospice, she finally told me that it was a premonition she had when she was ten. I miss her with the power of a thousand burning suns. I know this is not to the subject listed, but I’d like to think I’m allowed a pass on this one.
Very sorry for your loss sir.

Chuck I am truly sorry for your loss. I will never forget coming to your shop and getting the tour. I am the one that acquired number 1 and 3 Top Gunn from Monique and yourself. Please stay in touch on here. Your a wealth of knowledge and experience.

I didn’t mean to hijack ambivilant’s thread. But it seemed easier to put out my message. For those who are curious, it was Angio-Sarcoma. A cancer that you’re born with. It’s up to your body if and when it manifests. On average 500 cases world wide on average. This is what Monique told me as I was sent to work while she got everything Organized while I was also dealing with a change of ownership at my shop… nice timing.

Chuck I am truly sorry for your loss. I will never forget coming to your shop and getting the tour. I am the one that acquired number 1 and 3 Top Gunn from Monique and yourself. Please stay in touch on here. Your a wealth of knowledge and experience.
Forgive me that I do remember selling the Top Guns to you but I can’t recall your name. You got a sweet deal and I was a little annoyed that Monique undercut my sale. I did see things her way shortly there after.

Forgive me that I do remember selling the Top Guns to you but I can’t recall your name. You got a sweet deal and I was a little annoyed that Monique undercut my sale. I did see things her way shortly there after.

No issues Chuck , it's been ..... 16 years or so lol. I donated number one back to LOC and it's hanging in their showroom. It's living good.

Eric Stackpole

Back