1/7th scale Project 463 scratch build.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's fine with me as long as they are scale. : ) Normally I would just print out my own water-slides and clear coat over them but I can't print white. Vinyl is ok but a bit on the thick side for such small letters and may look lumpy under clear.

Custom ordering water-slides might look best, would probably only cost a few bucks.

Yeah, that pesky ALPS printer foolishness. I had thought water slide...will have to do some poking around on the web. MINIONS! If you have some suggestions about a reliable decal company, please weigh in (Remember, I've been away for a half dozen years).

Thanks dixso, um... dslex, um... dixontj93060 I'll check it out...Think you need a longer handle. Just had a Beavis and Butthead moment.

Thanks Minion Dix, I have the same problem over on the modeling thread I'm on. Also, I keep trying to change that New Member handle to Overlord... confounded machine won't allow it. Oh well... Hey, Ambivalence! I hope that Monster Rockets tape answered any questions that I hadn't gotten to yet.

That Monster Rockets tape was awesome. Got to see every part of the 463 that I was unsure of. It also gave me a feel for how much of a job it was to assemble that beast in the desert. Thanks again!

More progress. Here is a full mock-up. Much of the sustainer is just stuck together at this point but everything is cut to length. The main transition still needs to be fabricated. Total height is 85" which is 1/6 scale of the 42.5' of Project 463 without the motors sticking out.

463 mock up 2.JPG

Hehe.JPG

Here is some sustainer detail. My plan is to use the 29mm outer tubes to house my electronics which I can access from the business end. Staging timer in one tube, deployment board in another with the wires running up into the main tube and ejection canister. Does anyone see any obvious problems with this plan? I am a newbie when it comes to rocketry electronics but this setup makes sense to me.

Sustainer 1.JPG

Sustainer 2.JPG

Sustainer.JPG

Oh and weight all together as shown is 5.4 pounds so far.

Hey Chuck, where is the c.g. supposed to be on this thing?

Oh no, Minion...I'm just the detail guy. I can't recall where the CG is. The rule of thumb I used was nose weight, lots of it. Let me ponder on it and I'll see what I can remember (there was very little paperwork on CG and CP). Progress is looking good though. My version weighs 5.2 pounds.

Said it before, I think, worth saying again, this is a most visually interesting design.

Why, thanks for the complement, modeltrains. This is a fond trip down memory lane.

Hence my build. I think it is the coolest rocket I have ever seen...with the WAC Corporal being a close second, but I've built a few of those before.

I recall someone saying that imitation is the most sincere form of flattery?

I am just glad the rocketeer in question is here to see it.

Finished WAC.jpg

Booster Detail 4.jpeg

The sustainer is coming together, this shot being of the upper centering rings and steel cable mounting point. The biggest job here is making sure that the nose cone is perfect. At this point I have sprayed and sanded about 4 heavy coats of primer. The thing is tough though. When taking those mock-up picks 463 fell over flinging out the nose cone. No damage!

Sustainer 3.JPG

Looking good Minion...I'll try to look into the decal thing this weekend. Interesting that you like the WAC...the other tape I sent you had some up close footage of Dana Russo"s big WAC that flew at LDRS. They gave me an personal tour of the setup before the launch. A very impressive flight.
Here's some pictures of what your finished model should look like. First is at the old condo I lived at ten years ago...second is at Argonia with Fat Cat Rockets.h463.jpgfcargonia.jpg

Yes I had seen that full scale WAC around the same time I first saw 463 at the rocketry club my late father and I were members of way back when. The video provided some great detail. The rocket wasn't really as scale as they made it out to be. No white painted WACs flew in that configuration, they were all yellow. Still a great model though.

After searching for years I found a guy who sold me a Rocket R&D 4" WAC Corporal. Had built one as a kid but never got to fly it, was real happy to get another.

Thanks for those shots. Has your 1/6 463 flown? Or is it display-only?

Last edited:
Yes I had seen that full scale WAC around the same time I first saw 463 at the rocketry club my late father and I were members of way back when. The video provided some great detail. The rocket wasn't really as scale as they made it out to be. No white painted WACs flew in that configuration, they were all yellow. Still a great model though.

I think the color photos of the original yellow WACs were discovered after Damien and Bill made the flight. I saw both the WAC flight and project 463 at black rock. Wow!

Thanks 1116 for the name correction on the WAC project...got to quit the play by ear thing at work. (My only working scanner is at work). That whole LDRS/ Fireballs/ Stratospheric Dreams trip was unforgettable (And at times I have tried).
My scale model has displayed only...I would take it with me when I vended my wares. But, it can be easily converted for flight. There is another 1/6 scale '463' in existence. I built one for David Popkin (from South Florida) a couple of years after I did mine. The differences were that his didn't break into all of the pieces that mine does, and the Teal is Kryklons Teal...a lighter shade than Odds and Ends. Don't think I have any photos though.

I just noticed what I am doing in the Fat Cat spread photo above...That's my 1/12 scale Down Right Ignorant. I also have a 1/6 scale of the 'Ignorant', but got as far as the paint job.

Some more work done. In the interest of scale I studied every video and still shot to figure out as best as I could how many of these ribs there were. They are Evergreen styene and just happened to be the right size and I just happened to just buy enough.

The empty areas get a plate half the height of this piece. Just need to run out and buy some more styrene sheet.

Ribs.jpg

Ribs 1.jpg

Last edited:
That looks pretty good. How thick is a 2x4... I ripped the slats and the booster base ribs out of 2x4's. Oh yeah, tracking says that the other package was "Out for Delivery". Is that so... reply on the other thread. Chuck. Wait, you've done a lot of studying in a short time...Do you have a job?

That looks pretty good. How thick is a 2x4... I ripped the slats and the booster base ribs out of 2x4's. Oh yeah, tracking says that the other package was "Out for Delivery". Is that so... reply on the other thread. Chuck. Wait, you've done a lot of studying in a short time...Do you have a job?

Yes, I am aware of your 2x4 ripping (you mention it in the video) so I used that for reference. I love the depth these pieces give the rocket so I had to emulate them.

Yes, I am gainfully employed. I work from home (graphic design) so I get to do whatever I want during the slow times. Keep in mind this replica is 15 years in the making and this isn't a half-hearted effort. Doubt you recall but I had emailed you once way back when and mentioned I was thinking about making a 463 replica. This was when you had that Fat Cat rocket naming contest and I was broke (and I was 12) and really wanted an F-104.

Memories...

Last edited:
And now some clarification...I haven't sat through a viewing of Monster Rockets in about a decade (and a lot has happened in my life over that decade. (Including my wife having three major surgeries) , so I'll try not to be too repetitive (This is where I would retype the previous line in an attempt at bad humor, but I'll let it pass).
Could have framed the spare time question better...I have been slightly obsessed with the fact that I have very little free time , but hope that will change soon. The fact that you changed the booster tube and are doing the slats properly (yes , I cheated on mine)...I would say that this is a proper scale project. You are right...I kind of remember an e-mail, but couldn't place a name to it. However, after the "Name the Rocket" contest Fat Cat held with EMRR, I printed out the final page and (I glanced it recently)I believe that you participated in that contest. I currently am operating under this motto" Memory Full, Brain Hurts."

Thanks Chuck. I wasn't insulted in case you got that vibe from my response.

I am attending my wife's Masters degree Commencement then hitting up the hobby shop for some styrene.

Wow! congrats to the Missus...I took Mike Ten years to finish college (Monique bought a Graduation card around the time of 463 and put it away, thinking he'd be done in a year. Every year she would pull out that card and ask: Will I every get to give this to you? It took the threat of marriage to get him to finish. In all fairness, he did go through the cancer death of his father... and that time I went through three months of mental instability. Still, my hats off to him.) Don't worry about it... I shouldn't try humor before bedtime.

Chuck :
I recognized a lot of those photo's and they seemed so familiar to me and now I know why cause I was one to take them LOL !!

Cheers
John ..

Eric:

Hey buddy it not been that long has it. I thought we talked at a NERRF a few years ago ?
Hope to see you at CTRA Launch with your classic Top Gun ! I got to build mine some time soon !

Cheers
John ..

holy cow John how are you man ? Havent seen you since the 2000 (?) invitational at Cobleskill . Hows life treating you ?

Eric

I have to say ,this great stuff . Everyone helping and the man who built the first rocket giving his time and help is what makes this hobby so good . I hope one day some will ask me ,how did you build that

Great observation chris m... however, this guy hunted me down at work. This action is usually forbidden, but I'm the guy with the info on the original (what could I say). As for the photos... the only pictures that I know for sure who they belong to is Deb Schultz (her photos were small and there was a smudge on the camera lens) and Earl Cagle( he gave me and Mike a photo book of shots he took at the shop and the desert) Besides the ones John(Sicker) shot, I got pics from Bruce Lee and that guy that got one of my big fins as a souvenir (I had his name in mind last week and it escapes me now).
I'm working on decal stuff...I'm currently trying to flatten out the second set of "advertiser" stickers that I had made up when I built the original rocket. They've been rolled up since '96.

Back