Do you lube your rod?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommy

Reaction score
Your launch rod that is. I ask because I bought a 3/16" rod from home depot and its starting to rust. Any ideas on how to cut the rust?

I have the same type of rod. I usually spray a little WD40 on some steel wool and then run it up and down the length of the rod. Cleans it right up.

...Fudd

I keep some fine sandpaper in my range box. so, when I get ready, I give the rod a few strokes of the paper, and it comes out super smooth! (And shiny!)

Now, we're talking 400 grit. I've also found a very fine sanding sponge, which seesm to be about the same grit, and is a little easier on the hands..

And yes, i also get some rust (especially after a long hiatus) but it's usually a surface rust, and comes off failry easy..

works. I have rubbed a candle up and down my rod,sprayed Armoral on my rod,used wd-40 on my rod. Whatever it takes to get one up.

make sure to clean it after use and it should not rust.
i also rub down with sandpaper and i use a graphite spray on my rods.

Yes! Wd-40 will help: but chucking that old nasty rusty steel rod for a 304 or 316 stainless steel rod with totally remove the rust factor.

It's still a great idea to wipe them down with "Fantastic" cleaner after a launch and give a light coat of WD-40 to keep them slick and smooth:)

You can get the rust off with sandpaper. Lubricating with any good oil should help prevent rust (WD40 is NOT a good oil BTW). I've wondered about putting something like silicon spray on the rod to make is slicker but I haven't tried it.

OK.....so if WD40 isn't a "good" oil....then perhaps you could recommend a good brand?

Where did you get the good stainless rod in LPR gauge/length?

1/8", 3/16" x 36" from 72" rods purchased, 1/4" x 72" either 303 or 316 Stainless steel. All from McMaster-Carr. There are some other places but for security and getting exactly what you order McMaster is my first choice always.

I'm still using the same 1/8" and 3/16" x 36" rod in my solar launcher that I put in it when built in the mid 1980's. I've had a couple 1/4" rods bent by others over the years but even so I'm still using one that's more then 15.
With just a little care they will be the last launch rods you'll ever buy.
www.mcmaster.com

NO MINIMUM ORDERS!

www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=5&step=2&top_cat=1

316 Stainless Steel
Also known as marine-grade stainless steel, T-316 is similar in machinability and weldability to T-304, but has far superior corrosion resistance. It has a far higher yield strength than both 303 and 304, meaning that it will not bend as easily. This material is hardenable by cold work.

Last edited:
I use wd-40 to clean and lube the rod. Just don't use too much.

You can also look for a local metal supply house, you can usually find one in most good sized industrial parks. I recently bought a bunch of 316 ss rods for myself and the club for minimal cost. A set consisting of 1/8"x24", 3/16"x36", and 1/4"x60" was less than ten bucks - what does Estes charge for a two-piece 1/8" rod again? I can't seem to remember...

They sell online as well, but I don't know what the shipping cost would be. No minimum orders is a nice thing, too. https://www.speedymetals.com/

Last edited:
Thanks for the supplier notes. Looks like I could get a 3/16" and a 1/8" rod in 4 ft. lenghts for ~$4 + $12 shipping. I'll look into local sourcing first... but good to know there's an easy-button I can push.

Yeah, I'm not touching this one.

Thats, what she said!

My wife hit upon this idea to keep a rod slick (take that whatever way you want), Take a crumpled up ball of wax paper (like you find in any grocery store) and slide it up and down the rod a few times pre and post launch. Cheap, non-toxic, easy to apply and store, and effective. It won't remove rust, but should help prevent it.

FC

OK.....so if WD40 isn't a "good" oil....then perhaps you could recommend a good brand?

Go to your local hardware store or auto parts store, find WD40 on the shelf, and look at the other products they sell. Any of them will be better than WD40. Since you don't have to spray for use on a launch rod and you don't need penetration, you can use any oil that you would use in your car.

WD40 is made to displace water (the "WD" part) in electrical equipment. It is not made to lubricate, it is not made to protect against rust. It will lubricate in the real short term, but won't last very long. It will protect against rust for awhile, but not as well as products made for that purpose. Almost anything sold at a hardware store for lubrication and/or protection will do a much better job than WD40. The people that sell WD40 must have really good promoters because almost everybody associates WD40 with lubrication.

Here is a good use for WD40- lets say you are out with your favorite carbon steel sporting equipment, and you happen to get caught in the rain. Bring the equipment home, douse it good with WD40, let it set for a minute or two, wipe off the WD40, then spray with a good protective oil.

Bahahahaha !

Sure somebody else would have replied with the same or variation of 'thats what she said . . .' -

That's a rather personal question, don't you think? :eek:

OK, on a more serious note, a thin film of mineral oil or baby oil works well as a rust inhibitor on steel. For long-term storage, apply a thin layer of petroleum jelly. We used both techniques to protect our blades in speedskating. I would wipe the launch rod down thoroughly with baby wipes to clean off the oil real good before using it at a launch. It won't grow rust while it's being used at the range. Then wipe it down with a rag dipped in baby oil when you put it away after range tear-down at the end of the day. If it's going to be a couple weeks until you use it again, take it out after one week and wipe it down again with more oil. If it's going to be a month or more until you use it again, apply the Vaseline.

Please, please, please remember to thoroughly clean off all of the oil before you use it, though. This isn't as big of a hassle as it sounds. Just take a plastic coffee can with a snap lid and put a little bit of water and a squirt or two of dish soap into it along with a clean rag. Snap the lid on tight and bring it to the range. You can use the same items later on during the day to clean your reload cases. Or else just bring a pack of baby wipes.

Please, please, please remember to thoroughly clean off all of the oil before you use it, though.

Is there something that might happen other than gettin' a oily rocket?

Thanks for all the tips everyone!

Particles from the exhaust will stick to the oil, which can actually increase corrosion and make your rocket more likely to stick on the rod.

First suggestion, Stainless Steel. Beware rods being offered made from tool steel!
Tool steel is high carbon steel and will rust like crazy.

I like to use a dry graphite spray! I will be selling this on my website along with SS rods!

Ok, put down the sandpaper and step away from the rod. It's like nails on a blackboard, you just don't do that. It might even be against the Geneva Convention. When you use sandpaper to remove rust you are also removing any galvanization or protect coating, if it is not gone already.

If you need to remove some light oxidation use WD-40 and some steel wool. If it is that scaley, get a new rod and wipe it down with WD-40 occassionally and after you fly. We have been using the same rods with no rust problem for many, many years. Might not hurt to spend $5 and make a pvc container to keep them straight and oxidation free between launches but whatever you do, stop using sandpaper on your rods. :dark:

Verna
www.vernarockets.com

Back