You might be a child in the 70s if:

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remember when a kid bagged your groceries and brought them out to your car for you?
I remember when we would go to the ice house to buy ice- they would open up a big paper bag and stick it on a chute under the machine, go into the little building and bring out a block of ice, turn on the machine and toss the block of ice in the top and it would crush it and dump it in the bag. Not only did you get freshly crushed ice, in a paper bag, you get 25 pounds of it. Today you may get 8 or 10 pounds and it is probably half frozen into a big blob.

Loved the dirt bikes....

My first was a 1975 that was two years old, rode it for two years, traded up for the 1975 MX100 (picture is of a '79, pretty much same bike only the tank graphics were like the GT80s) rode it for two years, traded for a year old Yamaha TT 125, then in 1984 bought a brand new fancy Honda XR250R, the XR was a animal compared to the previous bikes. My buddies and I lived at least 15 miles from the nearest large town and could ride pretty much anywhere we wanted to...and did. Then we moved to the suburbs of Nashville TN, and I couldn't ride as much so I sold my bike. Haven't had a trail bike since partly because I don't have my buddies around to ride with anymore and that was a lot of the fun.
View attachment 642939View attachment 642940View attachment 642942View attachment 642941
This is the bike I most remember most from the era due to friends owning and racing them. Hot at the the time, but Yamaha closed the gap quickly. Oh yeah, I don't want to forget the KZ400 (my older brother had one) or the first time hearing the unmistakable whine of the KZ900 (dual ovehead cams) in the distance!Screenshot_20240429_184747.jpg

I remember when we would go to the ice house to buy ice- they would open up a big paper bag and stick it on a chute under the machine, go into the little building and bring out a block of ice, turn on the machine and toss the block of ice in the top and it would crush it and dump it in the bag. Not only did you get freshly crushed ice, in a paper bag, you get 25 pounds of it. Today you may get 8 or 10 pounds and it is probably half frozen into a big blob.
My dad used to tell the story of how they got ice. In January when the lake was frozen solid they hitched up the team of horses to the sled and went down to the lake. After spending the day cutting blocks of ice out of the lake and loading them onto the sled they went back up to the farm house and carried the ice into the ice house. Nothing to it.

In LV area I did the first 4 parts of Summerlin hospital. It has had more added since then to the point that it is even hard for me to recognize it.. In the TV show "CSI" they would show aerial photos of the hospital and at one point I had to look close to figure out the parts I worked on. I also designed the first part of St. Rose hospital in Henderson, it has also grown since then. Both of those were done right about 2000, the Dillards stores were a few years before that.
When I thought I was having a heart attack last September the local hospital sent me to the Summerlin hospital. It's the closest real hospital to Pahrump. Very good treatment. Besides Vegas where else have you designed buildings?

OK and Nebraska were the big boys back then. That rivalry is gonna be missed for ages. Money has ruined college football.
For us in the Big Ten it was Michigan vs Ohio State. Bo Schembechler vs Woody Hayes. We called our conference the Big Two and the little eight. Every year the conference title came down to who won that game and it was always the last game of the year. When I was a kid I was a Boy Scout and we ushered the U of M games. I thought all football stadiums were as big as Michigan's but I was very wrong.

My dad used to tell the story of how they got ice. In January when the lake was frozen solid they hitched up the team of horses to the sled and went down to the lake. After spending the day cutting blocks of ice out of the lake and loading them onto the sled they went back up to the farm house and carried the ice into the ice house. Nothing to it.
When I was a kid my Dad delivered milk door to door. When I would go with him we would stop at the ice house and cover the milk with ice. My Dad would use an ice pick to break up the blocks. Man that was a life time ago.

For us in the Big Ten it was Michigan vs Ohio State. Bo Schembechler vs Woody Hayes. We called our conference the Big Two and the little eight. Every year the conference title came down to who won that game and it was always the last game of the year. When I was a kid I was a Boy Scout and we ushered the U of M games. I thought all football stadiums were as big as Michigan's but I was very wrong.
B10 and SEC - the conferences that are destroying college football for cash. I miss the football of the 70s and 80s.

No, 1 Nebraska playing Hawaii at Honolulu Stadium in Dec. 1971.
Jerry Tagge, Johnny Rodgers et al.
The old Termite Palace was packed.
UH got spanked, of course.

Our mom and dad would go nuts with the beeping noise and we could only play with the game outside or in the carport

View attachment 643207
They were interesting until they became annoying.
My brother in law had one- something happened and the main circuit board partially cracked. I made it work again by finding each trace that was broken by the crack then following it each way until I found a place where I could solder on a jumper wire.

This is the bike I most remember most from the era due to friends owning and racing them. Hot at the the time, but Yamaha closed the gap quickly. Oh yeah, I don't want to forget the KZ400 (my older brother had one) or the first time hearing the unmistakable whine of the KZ900 (dual ovehead cams) in the distance!View attachment 643021
I remember how much heresy it was considered that the Honda Elsinore was a two-stroke. I was riding a Honda SL100 and later a Suzuki TS-185 in the '70s.

I remember how much heresy it was considered that the Honda Elsinore was a two-stroke. I was riding a Honda SL100 and later a Suzuki TS-185 in the '70s.
I've run a lot of 2 and 4 stroke boat motors and, though vastly improved, 4 strokes don't compare in hole shot or acceleration, in my experience

They last forever, just replace the webbing when it wears out. My parents still have (and use) ours from the seventies.
Many years ago my dad had a couple with bad webbing. I repaired them by adding wood slats. I bought some strips of aluminum angle at the hardware store, maybe 3/4" x 3/4", bolted the angles inside the 2 tubes on the side of the chair, the added the wooden slats from side to side and stained them with redwood stain.

Back