You might be a child in the 70s if:

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always thought the metal ones were pretty neat, I never liked the plastic ones. If I had thought about it at the time I would have saved myself a batch of the metal ones.
When I was doing photography back then I was buying 35mm film in 100' rolls and loading my own so I wasn't buying small rolls of film very often.
They're still available, here is an auction for a lot of 18, ending tonight. An alternative for storage (and not nostalgia) are short wide screw-top cans, widely available online.

Somehow, they never held pressure. The gasket was hard, or the movable sleeve was cracked, or the sleeve didn't move freely so you lost all the pressure before it was fully released. Just a disappointing, wet mess.

Mine worked quite well. Over charged it a few times and dad was able to fix enough to work a while longer. It finally gave up when it hit the harder than concrete ground of Idaho summer.
Altitude of 200 feet, for that size I don't think you would have been able to see apogee. 50 -75ish is probably where most of mine were at apogee. I don't recall ever losing sight of it during the flights. But then again that was 50 plus years ago!

Directions on back of box

Directions? We don't need no stinking directions!

I had that exact set. The single stage flew well until it landed on the street and cracked the top.

The two stage I could never get to work well, or stage. Probably because I was so excited to get them, I ripped the package open, and destroyed the instructions in the process. We (my brother and I) pieced together the instructions after it didn't work, and tried again, with little to no success. If I remember correctly, the two stage didn't fly as high as the single stage, and most of the time when it staged, there was no water in the upper stage. You could make 3 or 4 flights on that little single stage, in the same amount of time that you could get one out of the two stager. They were great fun in the hot summers.

The base had a motor and the tether tube had a wire in it that rotated the helicopter's rotor. There was no motor in the helicopter itself... it would have been too heavy to fly if there was.
Ok, like those flexible drill extenders. I guess you would have laughed at me if I had suggested drones back then.

We had these, they were on control cables with a kite handle and you spun in a circle to keep it flying in a circle.

View attachment 645605
I always wanted to try one of those growing up. One day I realized they were gone from store shelves and I'd probably missed my opportunity (at least for the old .049 style).

You watched these:

and had her poster on the wall (long live Spandex!)

View attachment 645611

and you thought the robot dog was really cool!!

View attachment 645612

My Daughter was born in 1980. Back then fathers waited in the waiting room and smoked.
The TV had Battlestar on, no my wife would not let me name our Daughter any of the SciFi Girls names.

Athena, Altair, etc.

Edit: It was not a Dog, it was a Daggit :D

Back