What I did today -instead- of Rocketry.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wife and elder daughter picked about four gallons of strawberries at a U-pick farm. Wife and I spent the afternoon making nine quarts of freezer jam (and cleaning up red juice and stickiness everywhere). I posted the recipe here but made one change. We like a stiffer jam, and changing 3 tbs lemon juice to 1/3 cup helped a lot.

Storebought pectin is outrageous. Total cost of strawberries, pectin, lemons was about $80. The pectin alone was $36.o_O Next year I'll buy bulk pectin online.
Just bought 1Kg citrus pectin Au$105. Still expensive.... US$32.50/lb. How much did you use?

Last edited:
We went to watch our 6-year-old grandson play baseball, then him and his mom took us out to lunch for Mother's Day, then went to our sons house tonight for hibachi steak and chicken

Are you sure you want a car named pajero? Passion Red is a very appropriate name for the meaning.
https://www.google.com/search?-b-lm&q=what+does+pajero+mean+in+mexican
I remember the first time I heard the term wanker in England. Like several other terms I didn't know what they meant at first. But I learned fast working on the economy. Like posser and a reverse peace symbol made with a hand. I still use that one from time to time here. People can't get mad if they don't know what it means. One time an Hispanic gentleman in Vegas said something to me in Spanish. I asked one of the ladies at work what it meant and she gasped.

Today I went to the pharmacy. Then to Home Depot for four new grab bars for my wife. Some water softener salt, new water dishes for the birds and ducks. Poison for the bugs and little orange marker flags to mark sprinkler heads that I can only see when they are up. Once they go down they are invisible. And got a haircut. Sitting looking at myself in the big mirror is getting scary. Who is that old guy that needs to trim his beard.

My mothers parents were born in Scotland. I loved her meat pies. Steak and kidney. Sounds bad but tastes great. When were stationed at Lakenheath I would get meats pies often. The pizza shop I managed for two other dependent husbands had a fish and chip shop across the street. It was fantastic. One of the many things I miss from over there. Giant pieces of fresh cod, chips from fresh whole potatoes wrapped in grease covered paper and steaming hot. Was to die for. I think I gained 15lbs the first year we were there.

laundry, played trumpet, took out trash, boring day.
I received a copy of "The Great Gate of Kiev" sheet music for 2 trumpets, Trombone/French Horn, and Trombone/Euphonium(Baritone Horn). I'll bring it to Freedom Launch, along with my trumpet. If we can get a couple of trombone players, who knows? We could have a nice brass quartet!

I received a copy of "The Great Gate of Kiev" sheet music for 2 trumpets, Trombone/French Horn, and Trombone/Euphonium(Baritone Horn). I'll bring it to Freedom Launch, along with my trumpet. If we can get a couple of trombone players, who knows? We could have a nice brass quartet!
I thought you didn't have a trumpet..... Did you find yours stuffed in a closet?

Following return from visiting my relatives interstate, following the passing of my brother, I have been really flat and scatterbrained. Just as well I haven’t been at work as I am sure I would have made mistakes.

I have been pottering around at home, doing jobs that need doing but don’t matter too much if I get them wrong. Most of the week was spent installing a 5kW split aircon system, taking things particularly slowly and carefully. I still made mistakes, even stupid ones, but they were fixable.

The biggest stuff-up was kinking the gas line as I was running it up the wall :( . All in all it took me about four hours to fix that problem. I had to get out the oxy-acetylene bottles and torch. I hadn’t actually fired up an oxy/acetylene torch for about 40 years, so I cut the wrapping off the two new bottles and connected everything up, set required pressures, checked for leaks (there was one initially) and fired it up. The first braze joint (using 15% silver solder) on the copper pipe was quite messy and possibly functional. Managed to not blow holes in anything or melt anything. This was only a test joint on some offcuts. The second attempt went a lot better and was much improved. After the two test joints it was time to braze the elbow onto where I had kinked the pipe. Kinked section was cut out, an elbow inserted and brazed in. The joints came out quite good. It doesn’t take much to impress me, but I was impressed :).

Next up was pressure testing. After making an adapter (Swagelok to Schrader) for my argon bottle, I pressurized the system and found there was a leak. Turned out to be a leak on the brass fitting on the gauge set I had borrowed from a friend :(. Tightened it up and it held nicely for hours.

So I bled the pressure out and connected the vacuum pump up. It didn’t seem to be pulling down all the way but that turned out to be a vacuum gauge that hadn’t been zeroed properly. Re-zero and try again. It still wasn’t getting down all the way and I found some more fittings on the gauge set that were leaking :confused:. Added Loctite and tightened. Holding vacuum nicely now.

As long as it hasn’t sagged by the time I get home tonight I will run the vac for another hour then seal off the system. Might even fire the system up tonight if all goes well.
Inside.jpg

Outside.jpg

Following return from visiting my relatives interstate, following the passing of my brother, I have been really flat and scatterbrained. Just as well I haven’t been at work as I am sure I would have made mistakes.

I have been pottering around at home, doing jobs that need doing but don’t matter too much if I get them wrong. Most of the week was spent installing a 5kW split aircon system, taking things particularly slowly and carefully. I still made mistakes, even stupid ones, but they were fixable.

The biggest stuff-up was kinking the gas line as I was running it up the wall :( . All in all it took me about four hours to fix that problem. I had to get out the oxy-acetylene bottles and torch. I hadn’t actually fired up an oxy/acetylene torch for about 40 years, so I cut the wrapping off the two new bottles and connected everything up, set required pressures, checked for leaks (there was one initially) and fired it up. The first braze joint (using 15% silver solder) on the copper pipe was quite messy and possibly functional. Managed to not blow holes in anything or melt anything. This was only a test joint on some offcuts. The second attempt went a lot better and was much improved. After the two test joints it was time to braze the elbow onto where I had kinked the pipe. Kinked section was cut out, an elbow inserted and brazed in. The joints came out quite good. It doesn’t take much to impress me, but I was impressed :).

Next up was pressure testing. After making an adapter (Swagelok to Schrader) for my argon bottle, I pressurized the system and found there was a leak. Turned out to be a leak on the brass fitting on the gauge set I had borrowed from a friend :(. Tightened it up and it held nicely for hours.

So I bled the pressure out and connected the vacuum pump up. It didn’t seem to be pulling down all the way but that turned out to be a vacuum gauge that hadn’t been zeroed properly. Re-zero and try again. It still wasn’t getting down all the way and I found some more fittings on the gauge set that were leaking :confused:. Added Loctite and tightened. Holding vacuum nicely now.

As long as it hasn’t sagged by the time I get home tonight I will run the vac for another hour then seal off the system. Might even fire the system up tonight if all goes well.
View attachment 645088

View attachment 645087
Love the cat picture. Is the new unit A/C only or A/C and heat? Either way it sure is much smaller than ours. By a Lot.

Pulled the new window AC unit out of the box and attached the side curtains. I'll have to get Elder Daughter to help lift it into the window. A window unit because if I turn the house thermostat down to where it's comfortable for me, Wife and Elder Daughter need sweaters. "Yes, Hubby, the CO2 is still a gas, but the water vapor has frozen out." (paraphrased from A.C.Clarke) :) I spend most of the time in my study anyway.

Also made Wife's Best bread dough for what we call "baked sandwich." Actually, it's only 'Best' if she makes it, I don't quite have the knack. Anyway, it's dough topped with cheese (on bottom to stop soggies) and cold cuts: turkey, turkey pastrami, ham, roast beef, and pepperoni that's been microwaved to crispness. Fold dough over, seal, brush with egg wash, bake, slice while slightly warm, dip in favorite condiments.😋 I shoulda took a picture; all puffed up and glossy deep brown. Gals thought it was gorgeous.

That was what we did too. We went across town to a large park at sunset, but the view was pretty disappointing. Stopped on the way home at a park overlooking Puget Sound and it was magnificent. We can even see the Aurora at home despite neighbors with badly aimed floodlights.
Should be able to see it here, but we can only see clouds. :(

Back