Unfinished kits

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pem Tech,

You have accounted for partly built, partly finished, and those that are heckling from the build pile.

But you left out those that are only partly designed.

Ashamed, horrified, and mortified as I am, I must admit to having a few dozen ideas floating around in various forms of lofting, tinkering and tweaking, part selection, assembly sequence definition, analysis, or paint scheme development.

Yet another form of pathetic addiction.

Last edited:
Honestly, I have more flyable than half-built or not started. I have been busy rolling stuff off the production line this year.

I just checked my status board:

19 that have flown and are presently flyable (4 need painting or other cosmetic work).

1 retired (unlikely to survive another flight intact).

13 in queue (1 flyable with 10 minutes of work and several more flyable with an hour or two of work).

HA! I laugh at thee!

Oldest unfinished kit: Estes Saturn 1B 1:70th, bought and started in 1970, not yet finished....

HA!

:D :D :D
But are you actually working on it?

My oldest was an Astron Shrike that I started in 1972 and got all the way up to sealing everything.

I wanted to make sure the sealer was completely dry before priming.

The decals were yellowed but I got a set of replacements from Excelsior at NEMROC 2006 so I primed it in 2007.

I painted it last year but the last couple of launches were really windy so I didn't bring it along.

We have 6 more launches scheduled this year so I will make sure it gets flown this year.

I don't have any 'kits' left unfinished any more. After doing a lot of work on them last week, two of them need a bit more painting before decals, but all five are RTF at any time. -- But the best part was building a stand for all my birds to sit on display when not in use or being repaired. Now I don't have to sorry so much about random damage in storage. :D

The only thing on the build table:
I have one scratch upscale of a D Region Tomahawk (BT55 w/ 24mm mmt), want to find a nose cone before I finish up on it.

Things in the 'semi designed / some parts made' pile / bag 'o parts:
I have another 24mm motor mount for a BT55 tube that I think will be a scratch built 3 fin bird. Have the tubing for it, but would prefer to actually design this one in rocksim (which I don't have yet) before starting on it.

I also got bored and made a 3x18 cluster mount for a BT60. I need to drill holes in the 'cap' part of it before its done, but I don't yet know what that will go into eventually.

I have plans of a BT80 estes patriot clone, but don't know if I want to make that a with 29mm mount or if I want to use the parts I have for a 24mm BT80 mount.

Updated for 8 Aug 09

I Guess I'll Play Too

Original Builds in Progress
Estes Cosmos Mariner
Dr. Zooch Saturn I SA-5
Cosmodrome Nike Apache
Scratch PEPP 1 Aeroshell
Scratch Centuri Vulcan BT70 upscale

Awaiting Repairs
Squirrel Works Tuber
Estes Trade Federation Battleship
Art Applewhite 3 Stage Cluster Cone
HotRod Kestrel
Estes Trade Federation Droid Fighter
Estes Naboo Royal Starship
Fliskits Stingray
LOC Cool Spool
Estes DOM PeeWee
Fliskits Dead Ringer

Awaiting Maiden Flight
Fliskits Dead Ringer flown
Sheri's Mercury Redstone
Estes RediRocs Raider flown and moved to repair line

Awaiting the Hubris to Get Started
Scratch Absyrtis
Cosmodrome Vostok
Estes Saturn V
InFlight Mach 10

Yes I am also at this stage :D

I have a tiny workshop, and a stack of rockets in production and waiting to start. In an effort, I have decided to complete everything else before starting a new kit. Although, I recently brought BSM Apache ;)

Sitting needing some fins gluing;

Estes Commanche 3
Estes Big Boy

Completed, but waiting for a paint job.

LOC Viper 4
2 custom made small rockets (using excess materials from other builds)

Well, I can officially join this thread instead of trolling it, I have an un-finished Fliskit's Rhino on the table.

Unfortunatly, my intrenet photo skills are, at best, horrible, but I'll see what I can do about that and start a build thread, maybe.:p

My name is Les and I too have a problem - just ask my wife!:neener:

In Process:

V2
Outlander
R2D2
Nike Ajax
Night Wing
Sizzler
Hyperion
Striker AGM
Enterprise
Saturn V

I'm not going to go into the over 250 kits on the "to do" list.
Now - which one to get started next???:confused2:

HA! I laugh at thee!

Oldest unfinished kit: Estes Saturn 1B 1:70th, bought and started in 1970, not yet finished....

HA!

:D :D :D

Now I do not feel so bad. I have an Estes Saturn V started around 1993. It is built, just getting the filling now, and maybe priming this fall, or sometime in 2010 ...

I did just finish my Dueces Wild!
:)

My list of uncompleted "builds" is pretty short, compared to many I see here:

1. Cherokee-D (scratch)
2. Interceptor-E
3. Upscaled Orbital Transport (1.68X, BT-60 main tube),
~ 2.4 X upscale Trident (all balsa cones too, perfect replicas of originals) -- same vintage as the Saturn V, maybe 15 years old
4, Downscaled Big Bertha (BT-50)
5. Upscaled Astron Cobra (1.6X)
6. Estes Maxi Honest John (took off fins with a rasp, in a fit of rage ...)

Last edited:
Actually, my list dosen't include anything that has not been started. The boxes of unopened kits is another matter. The total is only for patially built/finished projects that are actually laying around physically taking up space.

:D

Pem Tech,

You have accounted for partly built, partly finished, and those that are heckling from the build pile.

But you left out those that are only partly designed.

Ashamed, horrified, and mortified as I am, I must admit to having a few dozen ideas floating around in various forms of lofting, tinkering and tweaking, part selection, assembly sequence definition, analysis, or paint scheme development.

Yet another form of pathetic addiction.

Last edited:
Unfinished is such a harsh word, I prefer the term "In Progress."

I'll admit to two (down from five in the Spring): Aerotech Mirage (Hybrid-Mod, Dual Deploy), LOC Weasel (Hybrid-Mod, Dual Deploy).

Waiting to be started:

Estes R2-D2 (since late last summer)
Quest Aurora (been so long I don't even know how long ago)
Performance Rocketry Intimidator 5 (sitting in the box with it's upgrades since late last summer)

Waiting to be finished:

Scratch build 2x Sunward Maverick (over a year :eek: , need to make the canopy and jet intakes)
Crayon (nose cone)

Waiting to be painted:

Sunward Galactic Wave (a couple of weeks)
Hawk Hobbies Super Bomarc (since last winter)
ASP V2 (since last fall, but has several flights on it)
New body tube from repair of PML Quasar (no more pistons for me, well maybe if I get the Polecat 10" Goblin)

Waiting to be repaired:

Estes Big Bertha (damn thing has been repaired a few times already, can't seem to get it to a launch without breaking a fin; and, here I sit looking at a sheet of balsa laying on the kitchen table)
LOC Weasel (prang, needs a new booster section)
LOC Cool Spool (blow by on an AT, needs new shock cord/shock cord mount)
Estes Comanche-3 (prang, need to get to Rider's for a coupler)
AeroTech Initiator (lawn dart, needs new tube)
Polecat Mercury Redstone (replace the tip of the escape tower)

And this week I finished two rockets start to finish:

Scratch build 13mm tube fin
Performance Rocketry Little Dog Dual Deploy

Repaired this week:

Son's Cub Scout rocket

I did something else this week but for the life of me I can't remember what it was. :confused2:
There's probably more than what is stated above. Again, my memory is shot.
Time to pour another cup of coffee and procrastinate on rockets. :caffeine:

Maybe I should get my backside off the couch and do some painting or some simple repairs. :bangpan:

right now on the work bench - Quest Tomahawk SLCM, built in 2002, painted white, flown 10 times, repaired fins a couple times. needs decals.

Quest Force 5, built in 2007?, painted white, flown a few times, needs decals.

Estes Orbital Transport. Started in 2003. Cut out a few of the fins. dusty.

All of you guys are pretty caught up in my book!

My build queue is WAY too long to list here. I have a pretty good-sized pile of kits awaiting construction and about 75 scratch-build projects for which I have all the parts, plans and motivation to build sitting in my queue. Most of the space in my workshop is taken up by parts for upcoming projects. I just have a little area along one wall where I can actually do some building. I have somewhere around 30-35 rockets that either need painting or decals applied. I just recently finished my FlisKits Just Past Due, which I started back in 2006 and which sat on my desk for all that time, waiting for me to pre-paint the parts before assembling the kit. (It was a rather complicated paint job, executed on a very small rocket.) My current oldest is my ASP Sonda IIB, which is also awaiting a paint job. The queue continues to grow faster than I can cut it down. But can you blame me? Everyone just keeps coming out with more and more great stuff! I have so much work piled up that it feels like heaven! :roll:

MarkII

All of you guys are pretty caught up in my book!

My build queue is WAY too long to list here. I have a pretty good-sized pile of kits awaiting construction and about 75 scratch-build projects for which I have all the parts, plans and motivation to build sitting in my queue.
You are only supposed to count the kits that you have started and not finished. So right now I only have 3 unfinished rockets (1 kit and 2 scratch) but about 50 unbuilt kits.

Last edited:
Your makin me feel beter now.

OK in the unfinished pile:

Madcow Mozzie - paint and recovery harness

PR 4" Nike Smoke - out being painted

PR Wildman Jr - build av bay

Public Enemy Gladiator - middle of assembly

Public Enemy HoJo - new recovery harness/repaint

PR G3 - just started

Pile of kits not worked on ----- lets not go there:bangpan:

Al

i started a saturn V three years ago, i love that rocket but just never seem to get round to finishing it - i think its because i'm worried that i'm going to screw up the paint job so i keep giving myself other rockets to build instead, apart from that i'm pretty good a starting and finishing a kit - just got too many kits to build:blush:

You are only supposed to count the kits that you have started and not finished. So right now I only have 3 unfinished rockets (1 kit and 2 scratch) but about 50 unbuilt kits.
OK, my mistake. But I can count the 3 dozen or so rockets that I have built that are still sitting on my desk awaiting paint jobs, can't I? That number just grew by 2 during the last 24 hours. ;)

MarkII

OK, my mistake. But I can count the 3 dozen or so rockets that I have built that are still sitting on my desk awaiting paint jobs, can't I? That number just grew by 2 during the last 24 hours. ;)

MarkII
Here is a not-so-recent, but representative, view of the backlog. This was taken back at the beginning of the year; I have painted one since then, but I have also added new ones to the crowd.

MarkII

DSCF0716.jpg

Hi all! I seem to have the same problem, even though I've only been doing this since Feb.

My current unfinished projects:

Custom Rockets Skybird - unopened
Sunward Lightning Fury - unopened
Estes Screaming Eagle - finished and painted, needs decals
Quasar One Currus I - engine mount complete
Scratch build S2000 MPR - in work, should be ready in 2 wks.

Completed:
Estes Ionizer RTF :rolleyes:
Estes Patriot - pink and silver, named "Princess" in rhinestones...this is my girlfriend's rocket
Scratch build "Lil Dreamer" - Interesting story about this one...this is the rocket that got me restarted in the hobby. It started out as a pneumatic-launch school project for my son. It won the competition, so I though I would re-fit it to fly on Estes motors. It was made from a plastic football pump tube and originally had fins cut from a CD - not so stong. After a few semi-successful flights, it has served as a good test bed, and the plastic fins have been replaced with basswood. The boy was having fun with it, so we went out and got a starter kit. The rest is history...

Last edited:
I really try to finish one rocket before starting the next, so that I start it with a clean bench, so to speak. Sometimes I will build two rockets simultaneously, but I don't move on until I have both of them completed. I am just finishing up the second of one such pair now. I have rather tight space in my workshop (much of it due to boxes and boxes full of parts) and I can't stand the frustration of trying to keep track of all of the parts, instructions, etc. that would have to be left out for multiple ongoing projects. Painting and decal application is another story, though. I get behind in my painting due partly to weather and partly due to procrastination and indolence. :rolleyes: And with decals, I'm still at the "I'm afraid that I'm going to ruin it" stage, so I put off the white knuckle, nail-biting ordeal for as long as possible. :eek:

MarkII

Hmm...I have maybe 7-10 model rockets that were started, plus a couple scratchbuilds
The ones I can think of:
36D-Squared
SDI Satellite
Scratchbuild 18mm cluster
LOC Vulcanite
Performance Rocketry ISQY Tomahawk

That's just what I can remember - I'm sure there are many more in the basement somewhere.
Now my list of KITS...? HooBOY...! Over 100<hangs head>

Eldred

Hello, my Name is David and I have a rocketry problem. The problem is I don't have enough time for my addiction; work gets in the way.

Here's my list of unfinished:
Aerotech Warthog set up for 38mm and dual deploy
Estes Saturn V upgraded to 29mm
Launch Pad Gabriel III
bt 55 Honest john
5.5" scratch build MIM-23b Improved Hawk Missle
3" scratch build Aerobee 150A with booster
Repairs on a 4x upscale Lawn Dart Rockerty Slat/s (4")
Scratch 1/10 scale Argo D8 Journeyman
NCR X wing fighter upgraded to 29mm from Dark Star motor tube

Also have completed cad drawings for an Austrailian Long Tom sounding rocket. It will be done up with (3) 38mm or 54 mm motors in 3" tubes for the booster and will be about 10' tall. The triangular transition should be fun to make. I also have some parts started for a 4" Titan 4 with dropable boosters and dual 38mm long burn ex motors planned for the sustainer. It will be a model of the Cassini/ Huygens vehicle.

My name is also David and it's been 3 days since I bought rocketry stuff.

Currently building:
The Great Pumpkin
2" MPR flier with spin fins

Kits coming:
3 Baby Berthas, 38mm tubing. :D

Going to get around to building on of these days:
29mm saucer
24mm Machbuster

Kits I intend to buy soon:
Madcow Solar Express
MLAS

Hmmm, unfinished kits..Only one right now..My Saturn V PMC just seems to be in the perpetual 'almost done' point..It HAS flown once-spectacularly too!:) Need to repair a fin and put some paint on it,,,

Now as far as kits WAITING to get started..Well a couple of pictures splains it all..:roll:

Kit Room 002.jpg

Kit Room 003.jpg

Kit Room 004.jpg

Update:

Just finished: clones of
FSI Hornet
FSI Mach 1 Dart (almost done with the RX-1 booster)
Estes The Bat - flown on 11/1/09 :bat:

In process:
FSI Maverick clone

About to start:
K-10 Estes Cobra clone (mmmm, clusters.....)
Semroc Spaceman xKit

In dry dock:
Estes Maxi Alpha clone (core sample, 09/19/09)

Intend to build:
TRF doesn't have the storage space for that list! :jaw:

MarkII

Last edited:
Hmmm, unfinished kits..Only one right now..My Saturn V PMC just seems to be in the perpetual 'almost done' point..It HAS flown once-spectacularly too!:) Need to repair a fin and put some paint on it,,,

Now as far as kits WAITING to get started..Well a couple of pictures splains it all..:roll:

Dude, I see a Deuce's Wild in that pile of "yet to be started" kits... Get on *that* one, you'll be glad you did :)

Back