Squatty Body from Odd'l Rockets Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jonrocket sells it. The best way to defray single rocket shipping costs is to buy more than one rocket. :wink: I know that sounds callous but facts are USPS minimum is like $5 or $6 bucks. I suppose a Parcel Post package might be cheaper, but there is no tracking and I believe an even higher chance of lost or damage than Priority Mail. And it's only a little cheaper. UPS is even more expensive in my experience unless you have a contract with them. Energy prices being what they are, shipping is expensive.

Your right, buying multiple rockets is probably the way to go. Either way I am going to order AT LEAST the Squatty. This rocket is so cool, lol. I will have to look around for another rocket to throw on my order and will probably do so tomorrow. Thanks again for the thread I'm not sure I would have even came across this rocket without it. I tend to stick with the Estes LPR mostly but think its time to check out a few new brands.

Quick follow up.

The Squatty Body flew for the first time today on an A8-3. Boost and deployment were picture perfect. Only issue was a fried mylar chute... I need to figure out the best way to protect it in that design. I wrapped it around the inside tube. However the recovery was still very safe, no damage. Just the chute was not completely inflated. On grass you might get away with a big streamer. :)

A fun kit to build and fly! Recommended! I may need an Odd'l Rockets Combo Pack. :D

My guess is the mylar chute simply got cooked when the interior motor tube got hot. My experience has been that mylar has a very low melting/scorching point, compared to other plastics like poly bags -- I've almost never launched a mylar chute that didn't come down with at least a couple little holes melted in it.

I'd try a poly-bag type chute, and then before you wrap the chute around the interior tube, FIRST wrap the interior tube with a few squares of conventional TP-based wadding to serve as an insulation layer to prevent the chute from getting really hot during the several seconds it is wrapped around the motor tube.

Great looking rocket! This thing just BEGS to be upscaled. A 4in rocket would be cool! Dang, you got me day dreaming again!

Alex

I too have built and flown the Squatty Body recently. At our group launch in April, I used the Squatty Body as our "marker launch" for our Open Spot Landing contest as I knew that no one in our group had the rocket so could not duplicate the launch. The "Body" flew great on an A8-3, got pretty good height and landed safely with the provided streamer, providing the spot for our target pole. I also flew the Body with a 1/2 A6-2, not so much height, but a great flight none the less. After seeing it fly twice, and looking so cool, I am sure I won't be the only one with the Body for long.

Our group has a build night once a month where we get together with the kids in the group and build like rockets. We have built Odd'l Rockets Birdie at one build, and their Sputnik at another. I feel both are excellent choices for kids as they have outstanding instructions, high quality parts, are easy to build, and not your typical looking rocket. The kids (and at least one fat bald adult :D) love them. (We did do the epoxy on the Birdie for the kids though.)The Birdie won a recent contest in the Junior Division for our Duration, Other contest. (No streamers or chutes allowed).

I highly recommend any of Odd'l Rockets kits, and JonRockets service. Picked up 12 each of the Birdie and the Sputnik with no problems and quick delivery fron JonRockets. I am starting on the Cyclone tomorrow, and have the Wedgie and the Up! Cup in the building que.

3 Hairs

Back